aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N8 28-Apr-2024 Labyrinthus Noctis  (Read 3733763 times)

Offline sinisteragent

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99G - 9 May - Close Combat Carnage
« Reply #4545 on: May 17, 2017, 09:55:48 pm »
Makes sense to me. First thing you're gonna do in a fight is try to push someone's gun out of the way if you manage to get that close. "Melee failure = guarantee burst of gunfire to the face" is a big and common flaw of turn based shooters.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #4546 on: May 17, 2017, 10:49:50 pm »
I feel guilty to do exactly that in X-Com 2 LW. Run & Gun Shotgun into the flanked opponent.
It's stupid indeed and even more of a joke to see point-blank shots miss because X-Com personnel is trained in shoting thin air.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4547 on: May 18, 2017, 09:50:24 am »
Dioxine, dont you think that Factory must provide functionality of at least industrial printer? Because for now this huge building has very limited use.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4548 on: May 18, 2017, 10:49:11 am »
Factory is already near-OP, no point in buffing it any further.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: May 18, 2017, 11:50:17 am »
Makes sense to me. First thing you're gonna do in a fight is try to push someone's gun out of the way if you manage to get that close. "Melee failure = guarantee burst of gunfire to the face" is a big and common flaw of turn based shooters.

True. It is however unfair to the already handicaped (no kneeling, no indirect fire) AI as it isn’t coded to move a square away and then proceed shoot the shit out of you like you would.

Is it possible for modders to fiddle with the AI?

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4550 on: May 18, 2017, 12:12:11 pm »
Dioxine, dont you think that Factory must provide functionality of at least industrial printer? Because for now this huge building has very limited use.

The factory + 1x workshop + 1x armory tower is your economic working horse in lategame.
Building enough luxury barracks to house 450+ runts allows you to mass-produce m1a1 tanks for endless showers of do$h.

You can build 3-4 bases with this setup and money-problems are gone.
For everything special (laser/plasma/fusion-based equipment) you build bases with printer, workshops etc. and no factory in these bases. You can't max-out the factory in these bases due to space issues and the low runt-space for the printer (100runts in comparison to 4xworkshop = 120runts). The factory is solely designed to make money (and some basic weaponry if you ship the components out of the other bases.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4551 on: May 18, 2017, 12:19:12 pm »
Is it possible for modders to fiddle with the AI?

How would you like to do that?

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4552 on: May 18, 2017, 01:35:01 pm »
How would you like to do that?

Maybe the AI (no melee) has to make a check for adjusted tiles. If tile is occupied and a foe, the AI will 'move backwards' to perform the shot.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4553 on: May 18, 2017, 02:27:49 pm »
I was asking a generic question, not related to this particular topic.

If modders wanted the ability to "fiddle" with the AI, how should/would this ability look like? What could you configure/implement and how?

Offline Multiheaded

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4554 on: May 18, 2017, 02:41:56 pm »
This mod is seriously one of the best games I've ever tried. I am loving everything, the scope, the endless variety, the pulp sci-fi world.

Now a few random suggestions:

- Overly frustrating research gates. The 'implosion bomb launcher -> gravity physics' issue is mentioned above (am only just getting to that point in my playthrough; my plan to get around that is making two 4-hangar bases and ambushing a battleship with an expendable airspeeder swarm before sending in my main force). But there's also the nonsensical requirement to get 'Chainsaw Good' from a RAIDER for 'Basic Engineering' (at least in .F5), and I got no raiders at all within the first year. Actually had to buy a raider boss prisoner for that. How is that necessary? It's just chainsaws! At least make them possible to get from laborers and Guild people.

- As said above, maybe some tweaks to AI, namely making it less eager to shoot point-blank in light of the CQC shooting change. Also nerfing indirect fire a little, if AI can't exploit that + if it'd be too powerful in enemy hands.

- A random idea for an auxiliary unit/tank, for both the player and the enemy: something heavily armored but with an exposed weapon system on the front. It could be extremely strong when shooting and then turning its rear plate, but would naturally be very vulnerable to reaction shots. (Limit the weapon's range to make that more of a factor.)

- Perhaps more 'faction deals'/diplomacy research; that's very fun. An alliance with the Raiders, making the governments mad. A possibility to double-cross the Eurosyndicate (proposed by the governments or the mutants) and attack their headquarters. Contacting a disgruntled Osiron commander and protecting him while he hijacks an Academy ship and defects. For the endgame of the bounty hunt system, getting a contract for an infamous smuggler captain, freezing him in a stasis pod and delivering him to a mutant leader (hehehe, yes),... then mediating their feud and getting the smuggler's buddies to ally with your network.

- Better mop-up tools for zero-risk missions that you still feel like losing out for ignoring. Say, an armor that's *extremely* vulnerable but has penetrating AoE morale-nuking attacks (loudspeakers? war drums?) to get very weak enemies to surrender quickly instead of going through every apartment/room on a map. Or something like that. (i know the TK projector kind of works, but would like to see more tools for faster mop-up maybe)

- Variants of existing power armor with hardwired systems; perhaps one suit with both hands taken, and several with one hand free. That would be closer to what I feel such ultra-heavy gear might be like; fewer situations with putting a huge cannon away and wielding a feather-light carbine. Perhaps make those hardwired systems somewhat unique, like a stunning + obscuring ion smoke launcher, or a spore-launching symbiont that stuns but heals like the Stasis Grenade, or a very inaccurate micro-rocket cannon. Tons of possibilities!

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4555 on: May 18, 2017, 03:23:31 pm »
That's a bunch of suggestions to flesh-out corner-cases and additional content.

Dioxine has still WIP considering the new bounty-hunting questline and the Dr. X questline.
Maybe Megapol can get some more personnel too.

Offline LexThorn

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4556 on: May 18, 2017, 04:13:25 pm »

- Better mop-up tools for zero-risk missions that you still feel like losing out for ignoring. Say, an armor that's *extremely* vulnerable but has penetrating AoE morale-nuking attacks (loudspeakers? war drums?) to get very weak enemies to surrender quickly instead of going through every apartment/room on a map. Or something like that. (i know the TK projector kind of works, but would like to see more tools for faster mop-up maybe)

portable Waaaaaaaaagh!!!!! towers, dude.  with orkz boyz for maintenence.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4557 on: May 18, 2017, 04:15:59 pm »
While I get the reference I rather have my X-Com free from any Warhammer-themed content.
Personal things tho.

Offline Multiheaded

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99G - 9 May - Close Combat Carnage
« Reply #4558 on: May 18, 2017, 04:38:48 pm »
Maybe a 'Pacification Drone': flying, lightly armored (and expensive to manufacture, so there's more reason not to take it on higher-risk missions), with a morale-blasting loudspeaker attack ("SURRENDER, YE SCURVY DOGS") and a moderate-strength short range taser (not guaranteed to leave targets alive). Oh, and painted an intimidating red, with a pirate banner hanging from it.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99G - 9 May - Close Combat Carnage
« Reply #4559 on: May 18, 2017, 04:45:49 pm »
Maybe a 'Pacification Drone': flying, lightly armored (and expensive to manufacture, so there's more reason not to take it on higher-risk missions), with a morale-blasting loudspeaker attack ("SURRENDER, YE SCURVY DOGS") and a moderate-strength short range taser (not guaranteed to leave targets alive). Oh, and painted an intimidating red, with a pirate banner hanging from it.

Hmm.. Robin has a very nice Red Flying Drone for his Apocalypse mod.  Add the flag and you'd be good.  Getting the balance right on these things would be the trick as well as not burying them so far down the tech tree that they are irrelevant.