Author Topic: [FIXED] X-Com-Files doesn't run on 7.10.3  (Read 602 times)

Offline Xilmi

• Commander
    • View Profile
[FIXED] X-Com-Files doesn't run on 7.10.3
« on: January 02, 2024, 06:59:37 pm »
7.10.3 now doesn't run with XCF due to "/OpenXcom/mods/XComFiles/Ruleset/alienRaces_XCOMFILES.rul: Error for 'STR_MIB': Obsolete (to removed after year 2024) operation use of property 'retaliationMission' at line 472"

Reads like it was a scheduled removal of backwards compatibility that modders maybe were warned about.

Okay... it doesn't even seem to be related to the changes in 7.10.3.

There's actually code in Mod.cpp that says: "If the year is 2024 and I still find node["retaliationMission"], I'll throw an error! Sick!

Ah, it doesn't use the actual year, hence nobody else noticed. It uses the year in version.h, which reached 2024 in 7.10.3 for the first time.

I guess I could "fix" it by increasing the year that it checks against... But I'd still like to know who would think that having a hard-coded-expiration-date for backwards-compatibility of mods is a good idea. Like in what scenario would "it doesn't work anymore because of this arbirtrary reason" be preferable to "it still works" ?

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com-Files doesn't run on 7.10.3
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2024, 07:23:44 pm »
This is feature of OXCE, we can declare that some functionality will be deleted at some point, and madders have time to prepare.
Before given year, game only warn, on given year game will reject load of given mod (still can be overridden by user) and finally after given
year, functionality will stop to work even if user try override it.

And yes, it use version time as it easy to predict.
Another bonus is if you compile old version it will behave exactly same as before.

Why code like this is needed? Some times fist version of functionality was lacking and was replaced by lot better version.
Another thing is some old code prevent better version in future.
This allow us to remove some old bad code and give most of mods time to adapt to change.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2024, 07:56:16 pm »

Offline Xilmi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2024, 12:54:20 pm »
XCF has been updated already on October 22nd 2023: https://github.com/SolariusScorch/XComFiles/commit/000ef3de77b1602aa19c2ba5635a4d38bcb0fd9b
Okay, so the sources are updated but the latest release, which is 3.1 predates this and is from August 17th 2023.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2024, 01:03:15 pm »
I'm pretty sure the author is going to release the working version of the mod soonish (whether that's in days or a week or two). It already has a hefty bunch of new things (and is quite usable for those that want to have run the latest OXCE).

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2024, 01:12:18 pm »
Okay, so the sources are updated but the latest release, which is 3.1 predates this and is from August 17th 2023.

Same with OXCE.
The latest available release is v7.10 from December 16th 2023 and is fully compatible with XCF 3.1.

Anyway, I talked to Solarius and he will release an update soon-ish.

Furthermore, the next OXCE release will not have `retaliationMission` attribute at all, I will remove it (it's been 3 years already), so there will be no check anymore and no problem anymore.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [FIXED] X-Com-Files doesn't run on 7.10.3
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2024, 04:27:58 pm »