Author Topic: Let's Play OpenXcom: UFO Redux  (Read 80504 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play OpenXcom: UFO Redux
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2015, 03:00:21 am »
"If things go down bad, Hobbes goes down too" :D

Offline NeptunesNookGames

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2015, 10:47:56 am »
"If things go down bad, Hobbes goes down too" :D

;D

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
  • Squaddie cautiously peering through the breach
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2015, 04:50:53 am »
Man, Hobbes is SUPERMAN! 

This is when I wish you had Shoe's Soldier Diaries mod with you setup.   All those awesome kills on the last mission would have racked up some cool medals.  Zombie's rocket 3 kill would have got him something as well.

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2015, 04:51:41 am »
Man, Hobbes is SUPERMAN! 
He eats grenades for breakfast  :P

Part 2 of the Cultist Site, maybe we can save a civilian?

Episode 11

Hmm, the medals would be a pretty cool addition... does it work fine with the mod, Hobbes?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 04:54:01 am by NeptunesNookGames »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2015, 04:55:38 am »
Hmm, the medals would be a pretty cool addition... does it work fine with the mod, Hobbes?

Haven't used that mod in a while but I don't think there should be any problems.

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
  • Squaddie cautiously peering through the breach
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2015, 05:05:35 am »
I think there may be problems with the latest version.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2015, 06:36:37 am »
Soldier Diaries is not working well at the moment.  I hasn't been updated to nightlies in months.  I doubt that Redux would be compatible with it at this point.

I love the commendations aspect of that mod, but until it gets pulled into the main branch it will always struggle with relying on the efforts and time of one programmer (Shoes).  And that can get hard to come by at times.

Cheers, Ivan :D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2015, 06:59:22 am »
Bummer, that would have made a nice addition to the LP.  I always liked seeing it with Ivan's last series

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2015, 02:42:58 pm »
Very good episode (11), I know how u feel about the number of enemies as I'm in the middle of doing the merc base atm and have taken out nearly 30 enemies so far. It's the best way to do a mission, eliminate anything that moves.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2015, 04:19:22 pm »
Very good episode (11), I know how u feel about the number of enemies as I'm in the middle of doing the merc base atm and have taken out nearly 30 enemies so far. It's the best way to do a mission, eliminate anything that moves.

On the Merc Base you've got the option of bailing out once you recover data disks or capture the scientist, if you don't want to have to clear the entire base. It will appear as a loss but getting laser weapons is surely a win.

I'm thinking of reducing a bit the panicking by the cultists and I might reduce their numbers.

I really enjoyed the confusion and chaos felt by NeptunesNookGames during the initial turns with all the firing and killing that was happening, since that was my intention when I designed this mission.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2015, 04:25:42 pm »
When I was playing it, by the time I got the scientist I could've as well clear the rest of the base - there were maybe 15% mercs left alive and the rest was starting to panic :)

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2015, 04:52:09 pm »
Managed to wipe out the base eventually but must have killed the scientist, the 6 live captures I got r coming up as 2 mercenary soldiers of three different rows in the alien containment, recovered an HWP data disk, I assume there will be further opportunities to get to laser weapons as I've just started my 1st terror site vs Sectoids/Cyberdiscs.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2015, 06:08:41 pm »
Managed to wipe out the base eventually but must have killed the scientist, the 6 live captures I got r coming up as 2 mercenary soldiers of three different rows in the alien containment, recovered an HWP data disk, I assume there will be further opportunities to get to laser weapons as I've just started my 1st terror site vs Sectoids/Cyberdiscs.

Did you get the Armory building (the one with all the Omega weapons laying around)? If you have recovered all the types of weapons present on that building and research them (you need only to assign 1 scientist) you can unlock the Omega Weapons topic, which allows you to manufacture Omega weapons & clips.
The Improved HWPs should also be a great help: they have the armor and TU/Stamina of Hovertanks, plus the Tank Cannon gets upgraded to an autocannon.

There is another opportunity to develop Laser Weapons:
Spoiler:
After the initial month, the Omega Corporation will still conduct missions and their agents might be carrying laser weapons. You just need to recover one of those weapons and research it to unlock the Laser Weapons topic. However, detecting the Omega missions might be harder than regular UFOs.

But yeah, until you get another opportunity, you're stuck to conventional weapons until you get the chance to research plasma weapons. However, you can get Power Suits easy if you capture and interrogate a specific alien rank, which can be a great help to survive.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 06:11:44 pm by Hobbes »

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2015, 08:48:47 pm »
I think I'm getting creamed in this mission, Ethereals, Muton Elite and prob Sectopods in the middle of March, WTF!

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2015, 09:15:19 pm »
I think I'm getting creamed in this mission, Ethereals, Muton Elite and prob Sectopods in the middle of March, WTF!

I think there's an OXC bug involved because this is not supposed to be happening and it's the 2nd report I've got of races with are disabled for retaliation but nevertheless they appear in such mission.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 09:18:07 pm by Hobbes »