Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.3: Mysteries Ancient And New  (Read 2037385 times)

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 3.3: Mysteries Ancient And New
« Reply #6045 on: May 07, 2024, 09:32:56 pm »
That would indeed be preferable  ;D

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6046 on: May 07, 2024, 11:01:43 pm »
Yes, those missions (ski resort) are complicated. I believe I used a smoke grenade (or similar), and play exclusively during the night.
I believe there are some spots for hiding inside the winter cabin. I usually wait for the enemy to get closer, then knife him or shot him with a crossbow, and grab his weapon. I only send soldiers with large HP, else they might not survive the encounter.

Offline Fiskun1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6047 on: May 13, 2024, 06:21:01 pm »
Why are dossiers needed?

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6048 on: May 13, 2024, 09:31:19 pm »
Why are dossiers needed?

I suppose they are there for immersion and inside jokes. From gameplay perspective they introduce randomness to interrogation so that you sometimes get just points, not information that progresses anything. You'll want to research the dossiers with lowest-cost prisoners you have.

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6049 on: May 13, 2024, 11:51:06 pm »
And I believe, some dossiers may lead into "side quests" missions, with some special items or tech rewards.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6050 on: Today at 06:26:27 am »
Indeed, I should have said that as well. For what its worth, here's the list which dossiers are also mission script triggers (some of those are also very important):

Spoiler:
      STR_DOSSIER_AGENT_WILHEARD: true
      STR_DOSSIER_DAVID_VINCENT: true
      STR_DOSSIER_DR_ALPHA: true
      STR_DOSSIER_DR_HADRIEX: true
      STR_DOSSIER_GERTRUDE_ELLISON: true
      STR_DOSSIER_LO_WO: true
      STR_DOSSIER_MERIDIAN_HUNTER: true
      STR_DOSSIER_NATASHA_MOROZOVA: true

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6051 on: Today at 11:38:19 am »
Why is the mod needed? It's not, actually. Nor is X-Com. Nor video games in general. Or human culture. As a species, we could function perfectly well without these things.

If by that you meant "what function do dossiers perform within the context of XCF", then Psavola and Alex already raised some answers. I would also add that they make research lists longer, therefore statistically delaying certain topics.

Offline Fiskun1

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6052 on: Today at 12:44:51 pm »
I'm understood, thank you.
I thought it would work in a more complex way... for example, I would meet these people, and such meetings would move the plot...
I also read that enemies and friends on the Council are the sponsors of the mod. So, they are also no longer involved in the game? Is this just for fun?
I remembered Natasha Morozova - there was a dossier on her, and I met her in the game. Perhaps this is the only such case in my memory. I also received her rifle.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:50:19 pm by Fiskun1 »

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6053 on: Today at 02:07:25 pm »
I thought it would work in a more complex way... for example, I would meet these people, and such meetings would move the plot...

To a small degree, this is true; but most of them do not have any substantial impact on the game.

I also read that enemies and friends on the Council are the sponsors of the mod. So, they are also no longer involved in the game? Is this just for fun?

Friends on the Council is merely a thank you article, mentioning people who either gave me a tip or helped with the mod in some other way. They are not meant to play any specific role in the setting.

I remembered Natasha Morozova - there was a dossier on her, and I met her in the game. Perhaps this is the only such case in my memory. I also received her rifle.

There are several others as well.