aliens

Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1630862 times)

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [COMPILATION][RESEARCH] FMP Core/Tech Tree part
« Reply #1620 on: June 13, 2015, 09:14:51 pm »
I think I have researched guys like them already... so maybe you cannot research them twice??
I'm pretty sure this is correct -- if researching an alien will give you no benefit (all ufopedia entiries that the alien could unlock are already unlocked), the alien doens't appear as a potential research topic.  A nice enhancement here is to add that info the alien containment screen so you know who you can safely evict.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: June 15, 2015, 03:10:36 am »
Solarius two questions:

First of all I have no idea how to do it, but I would like to help you translate this to Greek if possible. The only thing I can think of, is throught txt format and then send this to you for copy pasting. Does this interest you? (yes I have the free time to do it).

Second, there are a plethora of grammatic mistakes in the English format, as per the above are you interested in ironing this out?

EDIT: Hm....I just found the wiki article about how to do it, crossing fingers.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 03:12:58 am by pilot00 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1622 on: June 15, 2015, 10:52:08 am »
Solarius two questions:

First of all I have no idea how to do it, but I would like to help you translate this to Greek if possible. The only thing I can think of, is throught txt format and then send this to you for copy pasting. Does this interest you? (yes I have the free time to do it).

Absolutely! Just copy the en-us section of the ruleset to another file and edit the strings. Remember to save it under UTF-8; if you're unsure about this, just work with a copy of the FMP ruleset, with everything else removed.

Second, there are a plethora of grammatic mistakes in the English format, as per the above are you interested in ironing this out?

Would be nice, I keep correcting mistakes but it's not that easy to catch them all.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #1623 on: June 15, 2015, 11:59:53 am »
Ey Solarius,

would you mind some Labship variants without this large loading door?
I will make some Versions within the next days, so you can decide for yourself which to pic or not.

Anyway i noticed that there only exist 10 Abductor and only 8 Terrorship Maps, as variants (who i know of).
So i guess this number has to be incraesed also ^^

Also have you ever considered making tanks repairable? (if their corpse is completly collected at the end of a successful mission)
Greetings.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: June 15, 2015, 12:27:38 pm »
Ey Solarius,

would you mind some Labship variants without this large loading door?
I will make some Versions within the next days, so you can decide for yourself which to pic or not.

I think the door is important to communicate the function of this room, and by extension the entire ship. Sure, loading could be done with a grav lift built into the floor, but there clearly is no such lift. So I'd prefer to keep the door for design purposes.

Anyway i noticed that there only exist 10 Abductor and only 8 Terrorship Maps, as variants (who i know of).
So i guess this number has to be incraesed also ^^

Well... Why not. :) If you feel like it.

Also have you ever considered making tanks repairable? (if their corpse is completly collected at the end of a successful mission)
Greetings.

This would be trivial to make, but I wonder if it's really necessary. You have plenty of money and workforce in the FMP, and tanks generally don't require special materials. So I'm hesitating.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: June 15, 2015, 01:36:49 pm »
Absolutely! Just copy the en-us section of the ruleset to another file and edit the strings. Remember to save it under UTF-8; if you're unsure about this, just work with a copy of the FMP ruleset, with everything else removed.

Would be nice, I keep correcting mistakes but it's not that easy to catch them all.

I am not sure what all of this means :P. You mean using a hex editor and manualy translate them via the ruleset files?
I tried it via the translations route on the translations thread and it works with a programme named transifex. I assume its not the same?

If its not well, ill try finding out on my own, but in the mean time assuming you find the time to spent, PM with a set of instructions if possible*.

EDIT: One thing I found a bit immersion breaking: The MiB lazers. I mean those IMHO should be renamed somehow. I have researched lazers without even coming into contact with MiB so, I cant understand why those lazers are called MiB since I built them. I propose the tech itself be renamed, to "Prototype Lazer technology" and the weapons "Prototype lazer pistol" etc the names ofc are just examples. Would be nice to add to the text that this is the first attempt from X-Com to reverse engineer this type of tech and as on going research proceeds it might be feasable to produce more powerfull examples etc.

*EDIT2: What I did is this: Opened a copy of the ruleset with the notepad. I found the section labeled as extraStrings:
  - type: en-US
    strings:

Bellow it has everything in the Pedia and the names of the terror sites. I assume thats it correct?
I have to rename it to type: gr-GR
strings:

and then delete everything in the "" and and replace it with the Greek text right?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 01:55:28 pm by pilot00 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: June 15, 2015, 02:04:02 pm »
I am not sure what all of this means :P. You mean using a hex editor and manualy translate them via the ruleset files?
I tried it via the translations route on the translations thread and it works with a programme named transifex. I assume its not the same?

No no, it's something else completely. I am referring to a part of the ruleset file, in this case FinalModPack.rul. If you open it in a normal text editor, like Notepad or EditPad, you can edit ruleset files - no special software is necessary.

When you open a ruleset file, you'll find a number of sections, depending on what the mod does. The FMP ruleset is monstrous (nearly 1.5 MB of text!), so perhaps it'd be better to examine some simple mod instead to get an idea on how it works - any mod which adds new text is valid (for example, any mod that adds new weapon). Open the .rul file in a text editor and (usually at the bottom, though not always) you'll find a section which starts with this:

Code: [Select]
extraStrings:
This denotes a section of translations. Naturally, it only covers the new stuff, other strings are pulled from the vanilla language files.

Now, inside you'll find strings like these:
- type: en-us
Or something to this effect. It denotes start of a particular language section - in this case, US English.

Under this section you have all the added/modified strings. For example:

STR_CYBERDISC_CORPSE: "Cyberdisc Corpse"
STR_HEAVY_PLASMA_CLIP: "Heavy Plasma Clip"

And so on.

So, to add a new language, you need to:
1) create a new language entry (akin to "- type: en-us" - I don't know how Greek is coded in the game at the moment),
2) copy all added/modified strings from another language to the new language,
3) replace the text in inverted commas with the translation.

Remember to keep the same amount of spaces before every line, or it'll crash. And remember to keep it coded in UTF-8, or you'll get weird signs instead of non-English characters.

Hopefully that was reasonably clear.

EDIT: One thing I found a bit immersion breaking: The MiB lazers. I mean those IMHO should be renamed somehow. I have researched lazers without even coming into contact with MiB so, I cant understand why those lazers are called MiB since I built them. I propose the tech itself be renamed, to "Prototype Lazer technology" and the weapons "Prototype lazer pistol" etc the names ofc are just examples. Would be nice to add to the text that this is the first attempt from X-Com to reverse engineer this type of tech and as on going research proceeds it might be feasable to produce more powerfull examples etc.

Yeah, this morning I've been thinking exactly that. It made more sense in some previous versions, but not any more. I think I'll just call them lasers, and the normal lasers will be "X-Com lasers" or something.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: June 15, 2015, 02:18:06 pm »
Ok, I think I am doing this correctly. Keep your fingers crossed.

EDIT: I have proceeded as far as STR_Alien Diplomacy, there are several STRs without "" do I proceed to do the same? Namely delete the text and replace it as normal adding the "" ?

EDIT2: Apparently the notepad saves them automatically with UTF-8 encoding so there is that :P
There is a ton of stuff there, but I expect to have this finished sometime soon.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 03:37:16 pm by pilot00 »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #1628 on: June 15, 2015, 03:48:19 pm »
Ok, I think I am doing this correctly. Keep your fingers crossed.

EDIT: I have proceeded as far as STR_Alien Diplomacy, there are several STRs without "" do I proceed to do the same? Namely delete the text and replace it as normal adding the "" ?

EDIT2: Apparently the notepad saves them automatically with UTF-8 encoding so there is that :P
There is a ton of stuff there, but I expect to have this finished sometime soon.

Add "" :> It will not do any harm, and will prevent from getting some weird errors in some cases.
I always add "" to all strings in extraStrings.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: June 15, 2015, 03:53:43 pm »
Add "" :> It will not do any harm, and will prevent from getting some weird errors in some cases.
I always add "" to all strings in extraStrings.

Yeah, I'm gradually adding them too, but it's too massive a job to do it straight away. :P

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: June 15, 2015, 04:35:42 pm »
Well I am reluctant to take any action by myself since I am in unknown waters so to speak.

EDIT: There is a group as such:  MALE_CIVILIAN3: Civilian
Without any STR. Do I change those or leave them alone?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 06:53:49 pm by pilot00 »

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: June 15, 2015, 10:28:50 pm »
Yeah, I'm gradually adding them too, but it's too massive a job to do it straight away. :P
it's actually not that hard with the right tools.  here's a GNU awk script that can do it for you in one go:
BEGIN { inExtraStrings=0 }
/^extraStrings/ { inExtraStrings=1 }
/^ +STR_/ { if ( 1 == inExtraStrings ) { $0 = gensub(/^([^:]+: *)([^\"\r]*)\r?$/, "\\1\"\\2\"", -1) } }
{ print $0 }
If you put that code in a file, say "quotify.awk", you can fix the ruleset like this:
awk -f quotify.awk <FinalModPack.rul >FinalModPack.rul.corrected

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: June 16, 2015, 12:01:08 am »
A tiny bit before the 50% of the translation is complete.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #1633 on: June 16, 2015, 10:17:27 am »
it's actually not that hard with the right tools.  here's a GNU awk script that can do it for you in one go:
BEGIN { inExtraStrings=0 }
/^extraStrings/ { inExtraStrings=1 }
/^ +STR_/ { if ( 1 == inExtraStrings ) { $0 = gensub(/^([^:]+: *)([^\"\r]*)\r?$/, "\\1\"\\2\"", -1) } }
{ print $0 }
If you put that code in a file, say "quotify.awk", you can fix the ruleset like this:
awk -f quotify.awk <FinalModPack.rul >FinalModPack.rul.corrected

No you got me hooked on regex and awk... damn you myk002....

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: June 16, 2015, 10:49:02 am »
Now you got me hooked on regex and awk... damn you myk002....

Don't do it! If you go there, there's no way back ;-)