aliens

Author Topic: Expanded U_BASE  (Read 57074 times)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Re: Expanded U_BASE
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2015, 11:53:58 am »
I think the 2x4 columns in those rooms are supposed to be the Alien reproduction Object, they looks more like the UFOpaedia Picture.

The ones who look like tables are actually Alien Examination Rooms.

This is my cloning facility.... also FYI: i have no more study to do ( just trying to learn some python for person interests) so i may start looking at mods again... Skimming over the forums i see many people unhappy with some of my work ( or it may be better descirobed as wishing to take maps into other directions)... Where are the newest versions of my original files ( if someone has FIXED my data over the years  i see no reason in undoing there good work).

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2015, 02:35:32 pm »
This is my cloning facility.... also FYI: i have no more study to do ( just trying to learn some python for person interests) so i may start looking at mods again... Skimming over the forums i see many people unhappy with some of my work ( or it may be better descirobed as wishing to take maps into other directions)... Where are the newest versions of my original files ( if someone has FIXED my data over the years  i see no reason in undoing there good work).

Hi luke83,

of course it is your cloning facility noone ever wanted to claim it.
i and Hobbes took the freedom to patch some things and make a new mapscript (so it can run on current nightlies).
You will find the patched files and the new mapscript in the attachment.
Oh we were not unhappy we just noticed a bug and took the freedom to correct it.
This also contains 1 additional small garden module from solarius scorch.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 02:39:26 pm by hellrazor »

Offline shadics

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2015, 02:06:53 am »
so this still work for the latest  updates of openxcom?  :)

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2015, 11:02:25 am »
... i may start looking at mods again...

We are very happy that you come back to modding OX !

For lucky combination in this period Hobbes started a "New Terrain Contest" here:
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3403.0.html

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2015, 02:30:19 am »
Great mod but in order to do the final mission I have to take it off otherwise the game crashes, it's only a minor thing cos @ that stage the game's over no matter what the outcome of Cydonia is but I thought I wud draw ur attention to this.

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3538.0.html

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2015, 08:18:02 pm »
so this still work for the latest  updates of openxcom?  :)

It should be working. Otherwise check out the Modportal -> Expanded Ubase Reworked.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 09:10:24 pm by hellrazor »

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2015, 03:34:56 pm »
Great mod but in order to do the final mission I have to take it off otherwise the game crashes, it's only a minor thing cos @ that stage the game's over no matter what the outcome of Cydonia is but I thought I wud draw ur attention to this.

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3538.0.html

hellrazor: Maybe a mapblock with a wrong Group/type setting? I had similar problems some months/years with an old and outdated alien base mod from me, i had edited a map that included the brain tiles and simply copy-n-pasted some entries. The result: The game did not show the ending even when winning,  it simply closed and went to the desktop.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #97 on: July 26, 2015, 03:46:46 pm »
hellrazor: Maybe a mapblock with a wrong Group/type setting? I had similar problems some months/years with an old and outdated alien base mod from me, i had edited a map that included the brain tiles and simply copy-n-pasted some entries. The result: The game did not show the ending even when winning,  it simply closed and went to the desktop.

Well he probably had the PSX static Cydonia Map enabled. Or something else. It is working for me without problems.

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 30, 2015, 12:42:42 pm »
Yes, the static PSX map causes problems for me, too.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 30, 2015, 01:37:53 pm »
well, yeah, that script is designed for _vanilla_ alien base terrain, it shouldn't come as a surprise that it doesn't work with terrain it was never designed to work with.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2015, 01:40:24 pm »
Yes, the static PSX map causes problems for me, too.

Im a certain, that is to do something, with the increased Mapsize. I do not know how big the PSX Cydonia Static Map is, but since in the OG DOS Version biggest maps were 50x50, even on the last mission, a static map is alwas bound to a specific size.
Expanded_Ubase uses a 60x60 Mapsize, defined in the alienDeployments, i assuming this is the incompatibility.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2015, 01:41:25 pm »
well, yeah, that script is designed for _vanilla_ alien base terrain, it shouldn't come as a surprise that it doesn't work with terrain it was never designed to work with.

I guess it would work if the mapsize would be identical.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2015, 01:50:46 pm »
Im a certain, that is to do something, with the increased Mapsize. I do not know how big the PSX Cydonia Static Map is, but since in the OG DOS Version biggest maps were 50x50, even on the last mission, a static map is alwas bound to a specific size.
Expanded_Ubase uses a 60x60 Mapsize, defined in the alienDeployments, i assuming this is the incompatibility.

not quite. some missions were indeed 60x60. base defense missions spring instantly to mind.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2015, 08:52:28 pm »
not quite. some missions were indeed 60x60. base defense missions spring instantly to mind.

Jeah but if you have a static map, which has a fixed size, then any other Mapsize will cuase a game crahs because could fully be generated.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2015, 05:07:09 am »
ok, but my point is, if you actually look into it even superficially, you'll see that cydonia stage 2 is 60x60 in the default ruleset, and in the dos version, and on psx, and that the psx cydonia script was made with this in mind.
the PSX version of cydonia isn't a single static map block, it's a fixed arrangement of regular map blocks, and there's a fillArea command with NO RECT, so it's not bound to any size at all.

meaning all of this:

is pure misinformation, which i was trying to dispel, lest someone else become misinformed.

the problem is that the psx mapscript was designed for a completely vanilla set of alien base terrain, defined precisely as it is in the vanilla ruleset.
trying to use it with a modified map set that isn't defined in precisely the same way is like trying to use the urban mapscript with the polar terrain.
it wasn't ever intended to work that way, so why would you expect it to?

in order to make the terrain compatible with the script, it needs to mirror the original terrain definition the script was designed for, including mapBlock group assignations and the order the blocks are listed, otherwise you'll never get anywhere.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 05:29:29 am by Warboy1982 »