aliens

Author Topic: [Suggestion] Alternative craft loadout: Hide items  (Read 230 times)

Offline Delian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
[Suggestion] Alternative craft loadout: Hide items
« on: April 21, 2024, 10:20:29 pm »
I like the "Alternate craft equipment management" feature, however, changing equipment can become unwieldly when the variety of items on the base increases, since all the base items are included in the Inventory screen.

I suggest the following QoL feature: Allow players to mark or grey-out items that they don't wish to appear in the craft soldier's Inventory screen.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 08:04:53 pm by Delian »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Alternative craft loadout: Hide items
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2024, 04:45:03 pm »
why not just sell them?

what should happen to the items that are already onboard/equipped but marked as hidden?

how can the player change their decision and un-mark the marked items?

Offline Delian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2024, 08:15:35 pm »
Selling the unneeded items would normally be the case, yeah, however there's numerous reasons why the player may choose to keep such items anyway. For instance, they could be manufacturing materials, or items that can later be upgraded, or they're shared as craft armaments, or don't have/can't produce ammo yet, or the player is keeping an item sample for a later research, etc.

On the craft equipment list screen, the marked items always appear, the only thing that changes is their color. Unmarking them would be the same as marking them, for instance, with a right click.

In the inventory screen, the hidden items don't appear on the Ground. As for already loaded items... it would probably be simplest if, upon hiding, they're unloaded from the craft and removed from any saved soldier inventories. My personal use case is, if I mark an item as hidden, it means I don't intend to use it in battles.

The two exceptions I can think of are:
- base defense, where all the base items should appear on the Ground, even hidden ones.
- right before an assault landing, where the player is offered all the items they brought with them on the craft (in case some items were hidden after the craft took off)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 02:14:28 am by Delian »

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2024, 08:59:24 pm »
I would like to remind you about this topic.
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=11648.0
I actually like this idea just as much. Making items hidden for ship equipment, like in the Buy menu, would solve a lot of problems. Not exactly what I would like, but also a good idea.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 09:05:24 pm by Ethereal »

Offline Delian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2024, 09:50:15 pm »
I would like to remind you about this topic.
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=11648.0
I actually like this idea just as much. Making items hidden for ship equipment, like in the Buy menu, would solve a lot of problems. Not exactly what I would like, but also a good idea.

I don't know why you linked that thread. That's totally different suggestion.