Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1134280 times)

Offline roysintm

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #4095 on: April 07, 2024, 12:06:57 am »
Using debug and countless hours of playing/testing I noticed that somehow aliens tend to react (return fire) a lot more when shooting them with an aimed shot than hitting them with a snapshot. Is this by design?

Offline CrazedHarpooner

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: April 07, 2024, 12:23:23 am »
Using debug and countless hours of playing/testing I noticed that somehow aliens tend to react (return fire) a lot more when shooting them with an aimed shot than hitting them with a snapshot. Is this by design?
By design of the original UFO:EU game I would say. The reason here is that you spend more TUs for an aimed shot, lowering your reaction score proportionally to the spent TUs which very likely ends up being smaller than the target you shot at's reaction score. Depending on the TUs they've reserved they are much more likely to reaction fire at high cost shots than low cost. Note that this is not because of the type of shot (aimed / snap) but rather the TU cost of the shot itself, you could fire a weapon that has a low aimed TU cost and not get a reaction fire but use a weapon with high cost snapshot and you'll get a nasty reply from your target.

Offline TheDarkMaw

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: April 08, 2024, 09:19:56 am »
Playing the Vampire Castle map, been clearing tunnels and corridors for ages, finally, bug hunt turn on and turns out there's a zombie in a cave that's completely disconnected from the rest of the map. Couldn't get there with the high ex that my agents were carrying and I didn't have a pickaxe or something. I've attached a screenshot of the zombie in debug mode.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4098 on: April 08, 2024, 01:04:29 pm »
Playing the Vampire Castle map, been clearing tunnels and corridors for ages, finally, bug hunt turn on and turns out there's a zombie in a cave that's completely disconnected from the rest of the map. Couldn't get there with the high ex that my agents were carrying and I didn't have a pickaxe or something. I've attached a screenshot of the zombie in debug mode.

Noted. But pickaxes (or other such tools) are critical for underground missions.

Offline Kieso

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: April 10, 2024, 03:15:15 am »
Greetings

OpenXcomfiles:3.2
OpenXcom Xtended: 7.10

I just researched Enforcer armor for AI units. The strange thing is that in order to manufacture it it asks me:
12 Elerium-115
12 Alien Alloys
4 Optronics Parts
1 Alenium Shard

I have already converted all the crystals I have into operational units, if the concept is that of an interchangeable body like Scout Drones or Heavy Battle Platforms. What I can do?

Offline Stone Lake

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4100 on: April 10, 2024, 06:11:55 am »
I have already converted all the crystals I have into operational units, if the concept is that of an interchangeable body like Scout Drones or Heavy Battle Platforms. What I can do?
Get more "crystals" - hybrid embassies / alien bases / mib bases. They're rare, but not that rare.

Offline Peteruta

• Sergeant
  • Riesige gepanzerte Raumschiffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4101 on: April 11, 2024, 08:18:48 pm »
Ola Cavrons:)
I find it problematic that I install OXCE to play MODS. When I install Oxce currently, I don't have a user folder and therefore can't create a mod folder. If I then create the folder myself, it sometimes works... But not always. I get the message that I should install Oxce cleanly (i.e. not create the user directory myself) but that doesn't work. I can't play any of your mods because the installation doesn't work. Please explain me how it works. Please describe a reasonable installation guide. I'm not a hacker. I would be very happy if you make it easier to install your mods. Like Xpiratez...
Great work.

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: April 11, 2024, 08:59:14 pm »
Simply create the "user" folder within your installation to make OXCE use that one. Be careful about capitalization. Some programs are sensitive to it. Not sure about OXCE.
If you do not, the equivalent (on a windows machine) is "C:\Users\{username}\Documents\OpenXcom". Replace "Users" with "Documents and Settings" and "Documents" with "My Documents" for older windows.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4103 on: April 11, 2024, 09:46:43 pm »
A mod directory is created by OpenXcom (also by OXCE) when you install it and run it for the first time.

You don't need to do ANYTHING manually.

Just go to Options > Folders and click on the displayed "user folder" to open it.

That's it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 09:52:28 pm by Meridian »

Offline 0xEBJC

• Colonel
  • Y'all are awesome! Thankful for this community.
    • View Profile
    • My Projects
« Reply #4104 on: April 12, 2024, 02:29:44 am »
Is that a poem? :P
There is nothing under the island that you can build on. Open up regions_XCOMFILES.rul, delete the three Easter Islands and voila, empty ocean.

Does anyone know what would you need to do to edit the globe land values to enable Easter Island as a land location to build on?  could that be a mod or would the original DOS files need an edit?

Offline 0xEBJC

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • My Projects
« Reply #4105 on: April 12, 2024, 02:45:57 am »
Simply create the "user" folder within your installation to make OXCE use that one. Be careful about capitalization. Some programs are sensitive to it. Not sure about OXCE.
If you do not, the equivalent (on a windows machine) is "C:\Users\{username}\Documents\OpenXcom". Replace "Users" with "Documents and Settings" and "Documents" with "My Documents" for older windows.

I like to keep OXCE completely portable  8), so I have a shortcut for the binary with this as the command to execute.

"C:\Users\User\Desktop\Open-XCOM\OpenXcomEx.exe" -config .\ -data .\ -user .\

and then change C:\Users\User\Desktop\Open-XCOM\ to the location of your game directory

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: April 12, 2024, 12:29:32 pm »
Does anyone know what would you need to do to edit the globe land values to enable Easter Island as a land location to build on?  could that be a mod or would the original DOS files need an edit?

You need a program called "worlddat", made by Volutar. Unfortunately the only link to it I could find is dead. I have it, but I'm not sure if it's OK to redistribute it - I will try to find out.

EDIT: Got the permission, you can now find the program here.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 01:17:52 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline 0xEBJC

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • My Projects
« Reply #4107 on: April 12, 2024, 09:41:43 pm »
You need a program called "worlddat", made by Volutar. Unfortunately the only link to it I could find is dead. I have it, but I'm not sure if it's OK to redistribute it - I will try to find out.

Thank you Solarius Scorch!

Also, wondering, do you have any tools or scripts like python to automatically scan through your mod and update specific things across the code? And how do track and make changes like determining the cost ration for production, manufacturing, income, expense for soldiers, facilities, engineers, weapon damage range balance, etc. or do you just all manually? maybe with an excel spreadsheet?

Offline 0xEBJC

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • My Projects
« Reply #4108 on: April 12, 2024, 11:08:42 pm »

I think this is an old version?

I don't see where you can add/delete poly as discussed here: (I only see import?)
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=530.msg5098#msg5098

is there a new version I should be hunting for? or am I missing something, I am having trouble figuring out how to use the application, the GUI doesn't have much to tell me how to edit or add ploys?

EDIT: OK after some time I figured out how to select another poly, then slice it, then move the slice to the desired location and reset the other half of the slice to the original poly and save.  Wonky, but got it done, now I have a WORLD.DAT for X-Com Files with Easter Island.  I did edit the WORLD.DAT from the X-Com Files mod and not the original XCOM one.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 11:54:46 pm by 0xEBJC »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: April 14, 2024, 11:02:55 am »
Also, wondering, do you have any tools or scripts like python to automatically scan through your mod and update specific things across the code?

No, I am not a coder. I use "replace all" sometimes (but not often, I want to see what I'm changing).

And how do track and make changes like determining the cost ration for production, manufacturing, income, expense for soldiers, facilities, engineers, weapon damage range balance, etc. or do you just all manually? maybe with an excel spreadsheet?

Yes, I use Excel spreadsheets with formulas for many of these things.