aliens

Author Topic: cycle to next unit button when current unit is targeting  (Read 5497 times)

Offline b

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
cycle to next unit button when current unit is targeting
« on: March 26, 2014, 11:17:39 pm »
When I click the 'cycle to next unit' button, it doesn't work when the current unit is in targeting mode.  Could someone change this so that the 'cycle to next unit' button is still usable even when the current unit is targeting? 

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
Re: cycle to next unit button when current unit is targeting
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 12:55:33 pm »
...why?

a simple right-click will end targeting mode, then you can cycle to next unit. I think it makes sense to block the "cycle to next unit" button while targeting, so that you don't accidentally switch units. (btw, does the "tab" key work while targeting?)

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 11:52:34 pm »
i would like to cylcle the enemies while in target mode
useful for long range attacks and psi attacks from the skyranger
if there is a key shortcut to cycle that works within targeting mode i could reduce my scrolling by 40-60%

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 01:15:57 am »
It sounds what you're really asking for is to be able to switch units without the screen centering on the new unit.  Is that right?

Offline b

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 06:19:49 am »
I don't mind the units being centered on, I just don't like having to right click all the time.  I don't think I need a safeguard since the consequence of accidentally switching units would have no real negative affect. Tab doesn't work during targeting either, but I think it would be better if it did.   I don't want my finger to have to do too much work. Isn't this different from the original? 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 06:29:41 am by b »

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 07:57:39 am »
do you want the switching of units to exit the targeting mode automatically? or you want to actually switch units while keeping the targeting mode active? what if you switch to a unit without weapons?

Offline b

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 08:13:09 am »
I think it would be weird if the next unit was also targeting, particularly when the next unit is holding two different weapons, or no weapons.  So it would probably be best if it was no longer targeting. Isn't that how it was in the original?

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 11:47:06 am »
I would like to cycle the enemies
IMO it's a great idea. So when your scout discovers an enemy, you TAB to a ready rifleman, choose a weapon and shooting mode, TAB to put the (single?) enemy unit in view, shoot it dead, TAB to your scout again. No manual view-scrolling needed !

It would also be very helpful for targetting the partially hidden aliens, the ones drawn black on black : it would center the view exactly on them, so you can aim the center of the screen.

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 05:54:26 pm »
IMO it's a great idea. So when your scout discovers an enemy, you TAB to a ready rifleman, choose a weapon and shooting mode, TAB to put the (single?) enemy unit in view, shoot it dead, TAB to your scout again. No manual view-scrolling needed !

It would also be very helpful for targetting the partially hidden aliens, the ones drawn black on black : it would center the view exactly on them, so you can aim the center of the screen.
that is exactly what i would like to see :)

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 07:06:23 pm »
original xcom behavior: if you are in targeting mode and click on the "next soldier" or "previous soldier" button, the targeting mode is terminated and you switch to the next soldier

openxcom behavior: if you are in targeting mode and try to switch soldiers (clicking on "next soldier" or "previous soldier" OR <TAB> or <SHIFT>), nothing at all happens

I don't know which makes more sense, honestly.

about "TABing" through enemy units... you can center on an enemy in view by pressing the number key corresponding to the little red square. as for shooting at enemies outside of your viewing range, well, tough luck... you'll just have to hunt for them in the dark. I can't think of a decent way of implementing what you want. unless perhaps using some kind of key combination for "switching to another soldier without changing the camera", so you can keep the camera centered on the alien. but then you'll have a hard time finding the correct soldier to shoot with.

if you have a better idea, go ahead... I don't think something like "cycling through all enemies seen by any soldier of your team" is truly helpful.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 07:08:32 pm »
vanilla for vanilla's sake is reason enough in the face of "either is good"