aliens

Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1128714 times)

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #3855 on: August 29, 2023, 08:32:10 pm »
If I were to hazard a guess, that's because corpses are divided into 'battle' and 'geo'. This division is indexed by armour, which is indexed by unit - which in this case is missing. And a corpse item is not necessarily unique to a single unit type.

But it's still strange that this bit is missing in the save. (And props to krautbernd for finding this - I though it might have something to do with terrain and moved the scorpion around a bit, but obviously that didn't work, and then gave up).

I presume unarmed drifter wasn't mucking about in the save?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: August 30, 2023, 09:53:05 am »
And I don't see why a missing reference should lead to a crash. There is no reason the corpse couldn't be recovered without one. Why does this lead to a segfault?

Without a unit reference, we don't know even basic things... like is the unit dead or just unconscious?
(plus a hundred more reasons like this, which you can find in the debriefing code if interested)

Offline Kozinsky

• Captain
  • Sorry for my bEd English
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: August 30, 2023, 10:44:42 am »
The description for the Position Marker (STR_HWP_MARKER_FOLDED) says that it "Has night vision and anti-camouflage capabilities". However, there are no parameters "antiCamouflageAtDay" or "antiCamouflageAtNight" in his armor (STR_XCOM_MARKER_ARMOR) properties, but only "visibilityAtDark". Is that normal or am I misunderstanding something?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 10:53:46 am by Kozinsky »

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3858 on: August 30, 2023, 10:56:21 am »
The description for the Position Marker (STR_HWP_MARKER_FOLDED) says that it "Has night vision and anti-camouflage capabilities". However, there are no parameters "antiCamouflageAtDay" or "antiCamouflageAtNight" in his armor (STR_XCOM_MARKER_ARMOR) properties, but only "visibilityAtDark". Is that normal or am I misunderstanding something?

It's a bug, I fixed it yesterday (added the missing anti-camo).

Offline mitasamodel

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: September 02, 2023, 02:00:49 pm »
Hi!

Shouldn't bolt action rifle clip (STR_BOLT_ACTION_CLIP) have the 50-200% spread as other rifles?

Example: STR_HUNTING_RIFLE_CLIP
damageAlter:
      RandomType: 7

P.S. The same applied also for SKS rifle (STR_SKS_CLIP)

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: September 02, 2023, 05:01:23 pm »
In theory, maybe not, since the bolt action and especially the SKS are not sniper weapons.

In practice, the Mosin seems to be, so there's an argument for the bolt ammo, especially as most RL Mosins fire the same 7.62x54R ammo as the SVD, and that has both the extra damage and sniper scaling for accuracy.

A more interesting question is where does the line go for sniper accuracy? There are a number of scoped rifles, some even bolt-action, that do not have it (Scoped Hunting Rifle, QBU, Sporting Rifle, even the SVD and the fictional Walther knock-offs), while the VSS, a glorified assault rifle, does.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: September 13, 2023, 09:27:43 pm »
I just realized that .308 sniper rifle is an excellent weapon if the agent has reasonable firing accuracy and decent bravery, even better than BO sniper rifle in some contexts (the main benefit of BO sniper rifle being able to shoot two snap shots if you don't do much else - kneeling and high accuracy makes even this roughly 100% accuracy).

Especially because it doesn't have minimum range dropoff, like the rest of sniper rifles (Mosin, Bolt, Nitro and such are probably intentionally not such kind of sniper rifles, though some of the choices here might be a bit illogical) so you can also shoot without an accuracy penalty in close quarters as well. The omission of min range is probably an oversight.

As an aside, scoped hunting rifle seems to be completely obsolete by the point that you could get it (bio-exo, advanced optics, manufacture in the workshop). If you really wanted it to be a viable option, it should be available much earlier or have some other significant benefit.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: September 14, 2023, 09:51:50 pm »
I just realized that .308 sniper rifle is an excellent weapon if the agent has reasonable firing accuracy and decent bravery, even better than BO sniper rifle in some contexts (the main benefit of BO sniper rifle being able to shoot two snap shots if you don't do much else - kneeling and high accuracy makes even this roughly 100% accuracy).

Totally agreed.
The 308 really changed the game for me, similarly to obtaining the hunting rifle early on. Those two are game changers.
The 308 has amazing accuracy when it's in the right hands.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: September 16, 2023, 09:41:03 pm »
Not sure why I am able to add unpacked boxes and crates to my craft on the equip craft menu.
Is that by design ?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: September 16, 2023, 10:25:27 pm »
Yes. Certain unnamed parties apparently like to play X-Com Tycoon. :-\

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: September 16, 2023, 11:48:35 pm »

;D
LOL. This isn't enough laugh emojis for that comment.

In the larger scheme of things, 5 or 6 crates and boxes are not going to be a reason I can't find something on the craft inventory screen but it does tidy things up a bit.
I honestly wish we could make our own custom screens to filter out the other crap.

However the inventory options allow you to manipulate some of this (by choosing categories).

Online Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: September 17, 2023, 10:13:19 am »
Looks like an interesting idea for a mod! Imagine gameplay centered not around shooting, but around bringing heavy objects on battlescape and trying to haul them to the evacuation zone while fighting environmental hazards and maybe some enemies. Research better crafts with more item capacity, better armor for heavy lifting... Probably we will hit engine limitations very soon...

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: September 26, 2023, 01:49:34 pm »

Especially because it doesn't have minimum range dropoff, like the rest of sniper rifles (Mosin, Bolt, Nitro and such are probably intentionally not such kind of sniper rifles, though some of the choices here might be a bit illogical) so you can also shoot without an accuracy penalty in close quarters as well. The omission of min range is probably an oversight.

Yes, it's an omission, thank you.

As an aside, scoped hunting rifle seems to be completely obsolete by the point that you could get it (bio-exo, advanced optics, manufacture in the workshop). If you really wanted it to be a viable option, it should be available much earlier or have some other significant benefit.

It can't be available earlier, because its entire point is to give the player a reward for researching Advanced Optics. Making it more valuable is possible, but right now I can't see any benefits it could logically have (it's still a hunting rifle, uses the same ammo).

I honestly wish we could make our own custom screens to filter out the other crap.

I can make a "Containers" category, would this help?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 08:59:10 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: September 28, 2023, 09:00:39 pm »
I moved the Scoped Rifle discussion to a new thread.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: October 04, 2023, 06:30:51 pm »
Should EXALT Liquidation mission description include some warning that you cannot retreat from it? Most of these special missions do, but there are some exceptions or omissions. And sometimes you may be able to read this behind the lines if read it carefully.