Author Topic: Just a thought, but were there elements in laser squad that were not in xcom?  (Read 6013 times)

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
One thing dear to my heart is the close combat.  You had daggers and light sabers.  What about a fast firing weapon?  In laser squad the lasers were not that powerful but had a high rate of fire.  There's very little to reflect that except the low action point cost of the laser pistol.

Are there other elements that might be good in OpenXcom?

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
One thing dear to my heart is the close combat.  You had daggers and light sabers.  What about a fast firing weapon?  In laser squad the lasers were not that powerful but had a high rate of fire.  There's very little to reflect that except the low action point cost of the laser pistol.

Are there other elements that might be good in OpenXcom?

Add a fast firing Gatling laser?
Same damage as laser pistol, same accuracy as laser rifle and very heavy.
auto shoots 8 shots, snap shoots 3 shots.
No aimed shots.

Offline Align

• Colonel
    • View Profile
I made my Heavy Laser have a real cheap (and inaccurate) Autoshot, 20% of TUs, meaning 5x3=15 shots if soldier doesn't move. It's fun. Starting to think it's kinda overpowered though, two barrages at close range take out a Sectopod...

Offline Jstank

• Colonel
  • 100% Un-Professional XCOM Lets Player
    • View Profile
    • FINAL MOD PACK LP OUT SOON NOW RECRUITING! SIGN UP TODAY!
Find out for yourself. You don't even have to mess with dosbox. This comes with an installer and everything!

I would like to see a full combat replay

https://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=00054883872595317479&gk=cisco
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 03:32:34 pm by Jstank »

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Laser squad nemesis!  i know, but there were earlier versions like the original Laser Squad, rebelstar, rebelstar raiders.... 

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
One thing different in Laser Squad from X-COM was that you had "opportunity fire" instead of "reaction shots", ergo you could actually control your soldier during that "reaction turn", similar to other tactical games like Jagged Alliance. But you rarely got any APs (TUs) to do anything. :P

Also it was a more wild mix of weapons, you started off with a combo of laser weapons, daggers, sniper rifles, rocket launchers, etc.

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
One thing different in Laser Squad from X-COM was that you had "opportunity fire" instead of "reaction shots", ergo you could actually control your soldier during that "reaction turn", similar to other tactical games like Jagged Alliance. But you rarely got any APs (TUs) to do anything. :P

Also it was a more wild mix of weapons, you started off with a combo of laser weapons, daggers, sniper rifles, rocket launchers, etc.
[/quote

Xcom has as starting weapons: pistols, rifles, auto cannons, heavy cannons, rocket launchers, grenades and stun rods... ^^

Offline Man in the Funny Hat

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
It occurs to me that a basic flamethrower would be appropriate for Xcom as well as a nice homage to "Alien".

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
It occurs to me that a basic flamethrower would be appropriate for Xcom as well as a nice homage to "Alien".

Yeah, though very short range only though. Like 3/4 tiles? ^^
And seeing its a starter weapon, it can't do much damage.