aliens

Author Topic: Battlescape: Save Equipment Layout  (Read 4957 times)

Offline Fenyő

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Battlescape: Save Equipment Layout
« on: October 22, 2012, 10:10:00 pm »
As i suggested this - Save Equipment - feature, i want to discuss about its implementation.

I've ispected the code which deploys the items, and i have some ideas.

I think the code of this feature should start in BattlescapeGenerator::run(), in line 344.
We have to copy the for-cycle in lines 346-349, and put the copy before that cycle.
Because we have to sweep the soldiers first with the layout restoration, and after that we fill in the holes with the for-cycle with the classic auto-equip.

We need a new BattlescapeGenerator::addItem(BattleItem *item). (for eg. with a name addItemWithLayout or we can make a new overload of the name addItem)
This new method sweeps the soldiers with a cycle and finds the first empty slot (which corresponds to the layout stored) for the item, and places it there.

I think we need to save the layout on a per-soldier basis.

Of course we need to save the primed-state of a grenade, and ammo-state of a weapon with the layout.

And of course we need to save the layout to the savegame, WITH backwards compatibility, i mean that this layout can be absent (per-soldier) in the savegame. (and in the memory when a game is loaded)

What i'm unsure right now, is how do we need to store the layout?
My ideas:
std::map<std::string, std::string>
std::map<RuleInventory, BattleItem>
std::map<BattleItem, RuleInventory>
Or maybe i could make a new class to store these relations? :)

Any ideas? Daiky? Or anyone?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 06:11:05 am by Fenyő »

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Battlescape: Save Equipment implementation
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 10:25:53 pm »
I've moved that posts out of Battlescape development - let's not steal Daiky's thread ;)

Offline Fenyő

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 10:28:21 pm »
But this thing is a Battlescape development related issue, this is why i put it there instead of new topic.

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 06:27:08 am »
I know, but "Battlescape development" topic was created by Daiky so he could write about his progress. Also, you've changed topic subject with your post.

Offline Fenyő

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Battlescape: Save Equipment Layout
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 06:10:29 am »
Ok, i've done this! (PR) :)

The layout of the equipments is saved when clicking on the OK button in the inventory-view. (only when mission starts)
And it loads it back on the start of the next mission. (before the first inventory-view)

The layout is also stored in the savegame file.
And this feature is backwards compatible, i mean it can read savegames without layouts. (and then start using them)

Auto-equip now only works on a soldier if there is no layout for the soldier we are talking about.
Only two situations can lead to this:
1) The soldier has no layout yet (perhaps a new soldier)
2) The soldier has started a mission previously with a completely empty inventory.

If there is not enough equipment on board to the full layout, then only the parts in the layout which are on-board are getting to be placed only. If this means a soldier getting none, then that soldier's inventory will be clear. (and user needs to equip it manually)

I introduced unpriming grenades (right-click also) in the inventory-view. (mission-start only)
This is needed because the primed state is also stored in the layouts, :)
and of course we must give the user the opportunity to change this aspect of the layout.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 06:20:02 am by Fenyő »