Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N8 28-Apr-2024 Labyrinthus Noctis  (Read 3725679 times)

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99E.1 - 13 Nov - Dead in Space
« Reply #3600 on: November 17, 2016, 07:58:38 pm »
I feel like some early research should unlock at least Something buyable that could handle civ ships.  Even a small caliber cannon would do the trick.

You can a large hand grenade your gals literally throw at hostile aircraft.  :)  Works pretty well!  I lost my charger laser early on to my first encounter with cat girls.   It slowed me down a but, but I survived just fine. 

Offline Drasnighta

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3601 on: November 17, 2016, 08:10:44 pm »
For what it's worth, I really think the Loader is perfect for outer space. Just look at it... Straight from a 90's sci-fi movie. I can picture it floating through space better than any other armour. :)

Any chances of getting more sisters after October 2601? I love that aspect of the game.

Oh, I don't doubt it...   But perhaps it is as intended...  Its perfect for when you've got some sort of hostile Atmosphere, but has no way of moving itself in Zero-G...  Which is why you can use it Underwater...

( "How much pressure is this Ship rated for?"  ...  "Well, its a Spaceship, so somewhere between 0 and 1 Atmospheres...." )

But not in Zero G...  With no Thrusters, you'd just be a giant yellow pinball.  Flooooaaaaaaating.

Either way.

I was just surprised to see "Spaceworthy"...  But then not be able to use it...

- And Definitely, after the Save a Sisters end, and Orbitals begin, you can find them up there in Statis Chambers...

...  You just have to Crack open a Cold one...

:D

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3602 on: November 17, 2016, 09:13:21 pm »
Oh, I don't doubt it...   But perhaps it is as intended...  Its perfect for when you've got some sort of hostile Atmosphere, but has no way of moving itself in Zero-G...  Which is why you can use it Underwater...

( "How much pressure is this Ship rated for?"  ...  "Well, its a Spaceship, so somewhere between 0 and 1 Atmospheres...." )

But not in Zero G...  With no Thrusters, you'd just be a giant yellow pinball.  Flooooaaaaaaating.

Cue Also sprach Zarathustra... :)

Yeah, I'm not sure it'd be okay, balance-wise, only that it looks like an outer space suit.

Either way.

I was just surprised to see "Spaceworthy"...  But then not be able to use it...

Yeah, sounds confusing. Oh well, harsh beginnings of the most awesome arc ever.

- And Definitely, after the Save a Sisters end, and Orbitals begin, you can find them up there in Statis Chambers...

...  You just have to Crack open a Cold one...

Thank God for cold fusion!

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3603 on: November 17, 2016, 09:54:07 pm »
They throw those suckers pretty hard, based on the attack speed and range.

I too, would like the game to advance the story based on player actions, specifically on score thresholds and research subjects, if you get enough notoriety, they up their game, whether you're ready or not, and if you do the specific research subjects, you attract more notice and they up their game.  It shouldn't go back to the old level, even if you start doing poorly.

It would be nice if the bootypedia stated what weapons were useful in what areas.  I know IRL you can use cased ammo in space, though you might have more luck with self propelled weaponry, that equal and opposite bit is kind of a bitch. You might also be able to use them underwater, but the range is supposed to be measured in feet.  Also what ships work would be useful to know.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3604 on: November 17, 2016, 10:13:59 pm »
Yeah it's confusing, I renamed it to '0-g' missions for more clarity. I know that cased ammo is useable in vaccum, you can use it on Cydonia after all (not vaccuum but no oxygen none the less). As for underwater, it has to be special ammo to fire you AK there with any real effectivity, but it's perfectly doable.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3605 on: November 17, 2016, 10:45:35 pm »
Man, I *Never* shoot down Civilian Traffic. I see Civilians Traffic and go "Abort"...  Thats just not worth even risking a Score Penalty on.
You dont shoot civilians bud. You take Handles, Stun Batons, Cattle Prods and Harpoon/Stun to them. Tag em and bag em just like it says.

I was using the Rope to nail people but now it seems to kill them so I dont use it anymore.

Dont even equip lethal weapons.

In fact the only reason I use lethal is on some maps like scientific experiments, and warehouse wars where you have armored goons. Ill use stun a couple times and if that doesnt work, ill have somebody actually shoot them. Or I might toss them something that explodes to cut their life in half.

Ill also sometimes shoot the temple priest because he has some resistance, but only with something small like a holdout pistol or spraygun. Then he gets the prod.

Ratman rodeo (except for the boss), Lokk'narrs (sky ninjas), and Pogroms are all fair game for lethal, if I manage to capture any of those things its just a side benefit. I drop all my stun equipment when I go in those. Also the ufos I shoot down that have Reticulans on them, because they're tough to crack so I just blow them away.

If you'll notice I refuse to lose Hands, my ladies are not expendible when they reach such high levels of super-size. Ill skip missions to keep them alive if a few replays dont turn out well. #HeroesNeverDie #GooniesNeverSayDie

edit:
(I removed angry rant about craft weapons, since im galvanized about that subject)
Im just going to hack a reticulan plasma charger into the starting base items, things are just much simpler that way. Lower ammo capacity and accuracy make it more fun than the laser charger while still doing the same job.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 11:59:27 pm by RSSwizard »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3606 on: November 17, 2016, 11:27:06 pm »
Ramping up interception is pretty much required to get anywhere - you may go without it for long, but it's gonna slow you down really bad. And the bar on top-level interceptions, which considerably speed up the campaign, is set high (so involvement and planning are required). Interceptors are expensive, and require substantial support. It's not like you can't win without the air game, but in such a case, prepare for relying on slow, slow RNG-driven grind.

So in short - if you're not fine with that, I can only say that it's not the perfect mod for you. It is not supposed to be winnable on your first try unless you're a very good gamer.It requires a lot of learning, and it isn't made easier by the constant developement (however it also steadily patches the glaring holes). I guess cheating is a way out, but is this really neccessary? Better to play a game where you don't need to cheat.

Btw IMO Xenonauts air game was flashy, but much more boring than in XCOM (you still do the same thing every time, only it's not automated so, clickfest). On the strategical level, airgame was a joke (easy resources, low hanging ceiling of maximum efficiency).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 11:29:10 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3607 on: November 18, 2016, 12:10:29 am »
IDDQD has its role, without a doubt. But it's not a part of core experience.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: November 18, 2016, 12:59:53 am »
I'm not sure how a stun only playstyle and not losing hands fit together, stunning is extremely risky.  However, I'm not here to judge, I'm here to get sky piracy out of my system.  ;D

Offline Dyne

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: November 18, 2016, 01:14:15 am »
Speaking about interception- any 'easy' way to get life support to assemble interceptors I'm missing?

Dont getme wrong, logical and fun addition, just cant find any so far.

Offline Drasnighta

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3610 on: November 18, 2016, 01:15:34 am »
Speaking about interception- any 'easy' way to get life support to assemble interceptors I'm missing?

Dont getme wrong, logical and fun addition, just cant find any so far.

Can't really help you there...  I jumped a Church base and got like, 15 at the end....   >.>

Was it worht the casualties?  Probably not, but I have a bunch of Life Support now.

Offline Dyne

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3611 on: November 18, 2016, 02:05:45 am »
Pachyderm base storm it is.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: November 18, 2016, 02:18:21 am »
Supply ships are filled with them - they're the alien food containers (from vanilla) on the map.  A few mid-sized shippings have them too, like the church shrine ships (watch for conversion missions!).  There are a couple others, but I don't remember what they are.

Offline Dyne

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3613 on: November 18, 2016, 02:24:22 am »
Ah,yes, supply ships, thanks. I remembered some ships had them, from erlier playthrough. Still, will try this base run.
Was subsisting for three years on an airbus and a bike, though managed to come to blue armors and decent weapons, funtimes ahead.

Really looking forward to space missions, and water missions are amazing.
Only missions where armor choice makes me think so far.
Hope we will get even more of those 'Terror from the deep'.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3614 on: November 18, 2016, 02:43:37 am »
I'm not sure how a stun only playstyle and not losing hands fit together, stunning is extremely risky.  However, I'm not here to judge, I'm here to get sky piracy out of my system.  ;D

Actually its not all that risky, and due to hands being universally poor at firing accuracy for some time which makes shots fly all over the place... its much more effective.

Also I swear the Harpoon gun is less accurate than it suggests it is, if it can hit a bush inbetween you and somebody it seems it will try to even if you have over 100 accuracy.

Remember your ladies are mutants, they have at least 20 armor all around and after awhile they get to be strong as hell. (40, 50, 60 strength). Starter melee weapons end up doing im gonna estimate at least 50 damage maybe 70 for an axe. And if you want to kill things the chainsaw and hammer are just outrageous (and will destroy scenery)

Was fighting against Sky Ninjas, and in a pogrom with Raiders. The freaks were taking so many shotgun blasts to faze, they were emptying their magazines firing back (stop shooting the blunderbuss ammo im about to steal from you!!!). But I send in a melee lady with a Saber and it only takes 2 melee hits topps.

I find that actually running up to somebody has little chance of provoking reaction fire, I dunno maybe they've already exhausted their TUs. I literally run right up on somebody and hit them alot of times. Though moving around in their periphery vision seems to reduce the chances too, yes you can run up on somebody from the front flank.

Maneuver units in close so they can run in and hit. Use the Buddy system and have your best melee% units going in for the hits you're most worried about. If one of them cant get the job done, the other probably will. Even the trader and academy people in armor only take like 3 melee hits and they're down.

If you get "close enough" to charge in, you can run (hold CTRL) in the rest of the distance and still be able to use most of your TU to hit with melee (3-5 hits, maybe 7 hits if its a fast weapon like a stun baton). Melee weapons are cheeeap on TUs, except for the Cattle Prod which costs 20 - but its worth it.

If you take somebody down with one or two hits and have lots of TU left, dont just stand there... and do not advance. Instead retreat to cover, shut a door behind you or something. You want to make enemies burn their TUs trying to get to you so they cant just walk around a corner and use those TUs to empty their magazine.

Then there's the Ooops! Factor... just like when you come around a corner not expecting a guy and find somebody staring at you and your TUs are gone. They dont have enough TU to fire so they run away 4-5 tiles (now you can rush out and hit them an enormous number of times In The Back, and if your buddy is nearby add another 5 hits)

Always use cover, and you can even use Trees to try to block shots as you approach, though they dont block as much as id think they could. Have spotters note where guys are, do not have the guy who Sees somebody Engage them, always use somebody else unless they're right up in your face.

Before you know it almost all the enemies have Zzz floating above their body. You can also take away any weapons they've got so they dont pick them up if they wake up. If you want somebody dead (like ratmen) just pull out a gun and shoot them on the ground, maybe with their own weapon.

The Hands usually have more than enough health to absorb firepower without dying, but it usually means they end up in the infirmary for a long time. If a lady gets badly injured just switch another Hand in her place, dont sack her - because she has accumulated experience/skills. If you've got another base, send her there and then rotate her back when she's healed if she's got good skills.

Getting Chainmail means even shotguns* aren't going to threaten hands, or at worst only going to make them injured. Ive had people shoot my ladies like 6 or 8 times point blank (crap automatic guns) and do No damage, then I smash their face in.

Always end turns having the unit Facing the direction you think a local enemy unit is going to approach from.

Someone said recently a Temple Raid wasn't easy-peasy if you're just using muskets and daggers, but I can take it on pretty well. I just use Handles and Ropes. The back door is the key to it, and also getting people to scatter from the front side so that you can nail them as they get farther away from the building. The Priest is the hardest part, ironically the guys in the back with the shotguns usually stay up on the stage and you can come up the stairs and hit them from behind.

There's just waaay too much money to be made from ransoming the captured guys to be killing them left and right. Sharp Guys are worth 40,000 and even lower goons are worth ~20,000 each. Its not even worth it to rob them back at base because any junk you got from them will pile up from other things like personal computers.

Desert Missions and Night Missions are the hardest (aside from underwater, which I wont talk about). No cover and having to fill up a hand slot with a Magna-Lite are a challenge, but at least if you want to stun somebody the Magna-Lite is almost as good as a Handle (I ran missions for 5 months using Magna-Lites as my main stun equipment).

The reticulan missions are hard but, if you can get Hands anywhere close to the ship, any aliens in the ship are usually easy pickings - go up the lift and cattleprod everybody. Its easy to sidestep to be flanking or behind somebody from the lift. I usually throw Boom Fruits at any of them that get away from the ship. But reticulans are less worthy of being captured so I usually just slaughter them. The Clockwork Gun is effective even at a distance with fire teams because 2 hits usually does them in. The fact that the reticulan ufos usually land in the desert compounds their difficulty.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 03:09:57 am by RSSwizard »