aliens

Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1074861 times)

Offline themeless

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #3750 on: December 26, 2023, 09:57:43 pm »
Anyone has up to date country bonuses and zones
placing a base near the bastion on blackmarch gets me "country: none"

Offline Torchwood

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: December 27, 2023, 08:11:07 pm »
The borders shown in the geoscape are not a perfect match with the actual ingame regions, so if you place it on the edge, you might end up getting a different bonus. Country/continent bonuses are still mostly the same as in older version with a few important differences: Settling in the Cali Republic gets you eight captive catgirls, who become recruitable after some research. Take good care of them, they are fast and skilled, but fragile. The Theban Hive start got a big nerf, you'll start getting govt retaliations at May '01, to compensate for how much more it gives you. The Turan money drain is more severe in the first month when you build your hideout there. Romanica, and to a lesser degree, Ghostgates, has a hidden bonus mission that gives you a chance to test out the nun outfit's special weapon. Red Revolution gives you peasants revolutionaries, compared to standard peasants they already have decent firing skill and ritual of rebirth done. Central Asia start got a buff: Although you get 777 capitatory taxes dumped on you, you are given a guaranteed Krazy Hassan leaflet in March '01 if you have a hideout in Central Asia. This is incredibly valuable, because as of version N7, researching it lets you buy weapons from Hassan - in the form of random lootboxes. The contents vary from gun emporium to Krazy Hanna tier, but whatever you get is much cheaper than buying it normally.

Offline Pherdnut

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: January 02, 2024, 05:02:52 am »
Researched ogres, researched recruiting for work, researched "recruit: ogre," can research ogre armor topics and the tech that leads to Blaster Master something or rather, and have ogre convicts. I can't find a project to recruit ogres as soldiers. Game version is N6.05(?). So is it a bug or do I just need some other not very obvious pre-req to get my ogre/gnome hideout going?

Offline Jaedar

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: January 03, 2024, 10:03:50 pm »
Researched ogres, researched recruiting for work, researched "recruit: ogre," can research ogre armor topics and the tech that leads to Blaster Master something or rather, and have ogre convicts. I can't find a project to recruit ogres as soldiers. Game version is N6.05(?). So is it a bug or do I just need some other not very obvious pre-req to get my ogre/gnome hideout going?
As I recall, you just buy them, it's not a project.

Offline Ultimoos

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3754 on: January 04, 2024, 12:15:26 am »
How spotting and sniping attributes on enemies work exactly? What is a difference between levels, like basic and advanced?

Offline Pherdnut

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: January 04, 2024, 01:21:38 am »
As I recall, you just buy them, it's not a project.

*facepalm - was so obsessed only using "bought units" for base guards that I didn't even realize they were available for purchase. Thanks!

--- posts merged - Solarius Scorch ---

*facepalm - was so obsessed only using "bought units" for base guards that I didn't even realize they were available for purchase. Thanks!

If I understand spotting/invisibility correctly, invisibility is number of spaces you have to be within to see the invisible unit, and spotting gets added to that number. I do not know what the sniping number means in enemy descriptions.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 12:57:22 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline zombieguy223

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: January 04, 2024, 02:13:36 pm »
How spotting and sniping attributes on enemies work exactly? What is a difference between levels, like basic and advanced?
There's more detailed discussion on this elsewhere in the forum, but this is my understanding of the mechanic:

Sniper/Spotter (not to be confused with SPOT, an element of unit vision that counteracts CAMO and INVIS) is a mechanic that allows enemies to attack your soldiers even without having direct line of sight to those soldiers.

The Spotter attribute means that when an enemy with it sees one of your soldiers or is directly attacked by one of your units (e.g. shot with a gun), that soldier is considered 'spotted' for a number of turns that is represented by the basic, good, expert etc. qualifier. The better the enemy is at spotting, the longer the mark stays active.

The Sniper attribute means that an enemy with it has a percentage chance at the start of its turn to be able to attack any soldier that is actively marked as 'spotted'. The better they are at sniping, the higher the chance. This means that enemies from across the map, that have never had direct vision on a particular soldier, can suddenly start shooting or throwing grenades at them.

I believe this mechanic exists to give the AI a similar ability that the player has, i.e. being able to use a forward scout to locate enemies and then using other soldiers further back that cannot personally see the enemy to shoot from a safe distance without retaliation.

Offline Pherdnut

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: January 14, 2024, 01:22:18 am »
"The Russian Files"

How do I get these?

Offline balam

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3758 on: January 14, 2024, 02:00:32 pm »
"The Russian Files"

How do I get these?

Spoiler:
Loot from Siberia Base Investigation

Offline minimen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: January 15, 2024, 02:37:06 pm »
It seems it is possible to knock people out with your bare hands! Though in weapon anal. I don't see stun damage multiplier. Is daze damage do some stun damage by default? How much?

Offline Psyentific

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3760 on: January 15, 2024, 02:56:27 pm »
Pretty sure 'Daze' damage type is the same as Stun damage. Consider the Handle. Damage type is Daze, it deals mostly stun damage (great for capturing civilians), and does a small amount of health damage in addition to the stun. Bare Hands are the 'built-in' weapon for most armor and outfits. The ones that don't use Hand as a melee attack usually have a special variant of it, like martial arts or a metal gauntlet.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 03:23:13 pm by Psyentific »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: January 15, 2024, 03:40:02 pm »
100% sure:
Quote from: Piratez language file
STR_DAMAGE_STUN: "DAZE"

Until Dioxine decides to mess with our heads (again) and shuffles the damage types around. :P

Offline Jaedar

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: January 16, 2024, 10:38:28 am »
Spoiler:
Loot from Siberia Base Investigation
Spoiler:
Which is in turn unlocked by interrogating guild reps

Offline minimen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3763 on: January 16, 2024, 02:17:07 pm »
How does a security corridor contribute to defense efforts? Does it simply provide a security camera that quickly gets wrecked or there is something else?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 02:32:24 pm by minimen »

Offline Xylon666Darkstar

• Captain
  • "With Doom, We Come."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: January 16, 2024, 10:02:25 pm »
I don't seem to be getting the CBT events to trigger for the individual tournaments, beyond the initial announcement event. It's been 4-5 months since that first notice, but nothing.

Spoiler:
Getting the CBT chain started and going is my only hiccup left for the School Graduation via VIP room for Analytics.
Do I need to not
Spoiler:
have certain facilities down already (I'm already at Luxury Spa going into 2nd year) for the event triggers,
or is the RNG really just that bad?

Any insight would be appreciated. Either in DMs to avoid spoilers public or otherwise.