aliens

Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1128988 times)

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #3975 on: December 21, 2023, 05:23:30 pm »
Yesterday 3.2 introduced a change where more powerful armors (power, flying, stormtrooper, assault) were excluded from underwater missions.

This causes a dilemma with the gillman hero, who is wearing a power suit, but the power suit is currently unsuitable for underwater missions.

Consistency seems to require removing the power suit from the gillman hero. It seems illogical that a gillman-like ex-human could use the power suit while humans could do so. This is a shame, because this was a nice - and lore-wise even a bit scary - thread and a ~guaranteed way of getting a few power suits. But unless the change is reverted (at least as far as power suits are concerned), I can't think of how this would make sense.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: December 21, 2023, 09:36:03 pm »
The root of all evil (Black Lotus shrine) mission can apparently spawn even if you have already terminated Black Lotus (if you didn't successfully complete it before). I wonder if this is intentional.

I actually found also an OXCE bug here, because I have already completed this successfully once, which should have prevented the re-spawn through 'unlockedResearch'. I suppose the final enemies surrendered and OXCE didn't count this as "victory". Tentatively reported here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,11572.msg160158.html#msg160158

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3977 on: December 22, 2023, 04:25:15 pm »
Yesterday 3.2 introduced a change where more powerful armors (power, flying, stormtrooper, assault) were excluded from underwater missions.

This causes a dilemma with the gillman hero, who is wearing a power suit, but the power suit is currently unsuitable for underwater missions.

Consistency seems to require removing the power suit from the gillman hero. It seems illogical that a gillman-like ex-human could use the power suit while humans could do so. This is a shame, because this was a nice - and lore-wise even a bit scary - thread and a ~guaranteed way of getting a few power suits. But unless the change is reverted (at least as far as power suits are concerned), I can't think of how this would make sense.

I'm afraid you're right. But I think it's acceptable if I simply change the reward to Power Armour instead; it is currently available for underwater use. The design doesn't match that well, but I hope it's acceptable.

The root of all evil (Black Lotus shrine) mission can apparently spawn even if you have already terminated Black Lotus (if you didn't successfully complete it before). I wonder if this is intentional.

Yes, that's why it's called the root of all evil. :)

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: December 22, 2023, 05:22:24 pm »
There appears to be a Loftemps or some other issue with some INDUSTRIALSLUM mapblock (I suppose similar to Osiron Beach grass height issue reported earlier). The dog can't attack the cultist from the adjacent squares (I tried three different ones). According to FPSview there is some minuscule elevation on the floor, apparently. See the screenshots and save as necessary.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: December 22, 2023, 05:46:18 pm »
Thanks, fixed.

Offline Belcanzor

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: December 23, 2023, 11:18:27 am »
Question:
I was feeling adventurous and install the updates for xcomextended 7.10 and xfiles 3.2

Got :
Error for 'STR_FLYING_SUIT_UC_UNDERWATER': Number of battle corpse items for 'corpseBattle' does not match the armor size.
Error for 'STR_POWER_SUIT_UC_UNDERWATER': Number of battle corpse items for 'corpseBattle' does not match the armor size.
Error for 'STR_STORMTROOPER_ARMOR_UC_UNDERWATER': Number of battle corpse items for 'corpseBattle' does not match the armor size.

I can downgrade if neccesary.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: December 23, 2023, 01:49:17 pm »
Question:
I was feeling adventurous and install the updates for xcomextended 7.10 and xfiles 3.2

Got :
Error for 'STR_FLYING_SUIT_UC_UNDERWATER': Number of battle corpse items for 'corpseBattle' does not match the armor size.
Error for 'STR_POWER_SUIT_UC_UNDERWATER': Number of battle corpse items for 'corpseBattle' does not match the armor size.
Error for 'STR_STORMTROOPER_ARMOR_UC_UNDERWATER': Number of battle corpse items for 'corpseBattle' does not match the armor size.

I can downgrade if neccesary.

Works for me.

Are you using any submods?

Offline Belcanzor

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: December 23, 2023, 09:08:51 pm »
My apologies for not testing that first. For my amazement was "recruitment office".

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: December 23, 2023, 10:06:06 pm »
Thanks, fixed.

Another one in the same mapset. Not sure if this already got fixed, I didn't update in between.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: December 24, 2023, 12:05:35 pm »
Another one in the same mapset. Not sure if this already got fixed, I didn't update in between.

That's vanilla roads terrain.

Should I make the lamp stub impassable?

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: December 24, 2023, 08:33:09 pm »
That's vanilla roads terrain.

Should I make the lamp stub impassable?

I'm not qualified to know all the implications and suggest a solution. I would just like to avoid the really confusing behavior and bad surprises for the player, as is currently happening.

For what it's worth, with all these similar issues coming up, IMHO the most easy and straightforward solution could maybe be increasing the height of dogs a little bit (I don't know how much). After that, all the issues with a few pixels would lose relevance and the dogs could attack everything they can see. The only drawback I could think of would be having to check that some of those visual blockages (like low fences) where you can go below but which may or may not cause surprises if the dogs would actually be taller than they seem based on the maps.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: December 26, 2023, 02:49:39 pm »
I'm not qualified to know all the implications and suggest a solution. I would just like to avoid the really confusing behavior and bad surprises for the player, as is currently happening.

For what it's worth, with all these similar issues coming up, IMHO the most easy and straightforward solution could maybe be increasing the height of dogs a little bit (I don't know how much). After that, all the issues with a few pixels would lose relevance and the dogs could attack everything they can see. The only drawback I could think of would be having to check that some of those visual blockages (like low fences) where you can go below but which may or may not cause surprises if the dogs would actually be taller than they seem based on the maps.

Increasing dogs' height would probably lead to a snowballing effect of inconsistencies, including what you described but possibly not limited to it.

I'll ask other modders, maybe we'll find a consensus.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: December 29, 2023, 12:33:24 pm »
I doubt this is going to be changed, but I'll just note it for the record. There appears to be little logic to what equipment is 'Space-Capable' and what is not. Basically some of the first/second tier equipment appears to be exempt, while essentially identical (physics-wise) other later equipment is valid. However, I don't see how essentially any equipment would not physics-wise work on the moon or inside moon base, even if the use would be very different (due to different amount of gravity).

In an ideal world this should be rethought. If so, I'd also consider separating 'Space-Capable' to two categories. Equipment that works in zero-gravity situations (the orbital platform mission?) and in space but with some gravity (mars, moon).

For example, I'd suppose arced throwing or launching cannot physics-wise work in zero-gravity environment. I suppose arced shots could still work in non-earth gravity situations but use could be more cumbersome (how can you calibrate your skills to a very different amount of gravity and thus the power and trajectories used?). Not sure if this is there are enough gains for the work required unless the missions with zero gravity are increased, though.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 02:26:43 pm by psavola »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: December 29, 2023, 02:20:50 pm »
In an ideal world this should be rethought. If so, I'd also consider separating 'Space-Capable' to two categories. Equipment that works in zero-gravity situations (the orbital platform mission?) and in space but with some gravity (mars, moon).

That's what I think, too.

I'll probably make such a distinction at some point.

Offline Belcanzor

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: January 01, 2024, 04:57:59 am »
The knockout grenade need 440 hours but gas one need 90.
Its intended?