Author Topic: [Suggestion] Filter Agents at AGENTS screen by craft they are assigned  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Flaubert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
This is a minor QoL feature which was requested by a fellow OXCE discord user. When you have a lot of soldiers in a base, sometimes it is difficult to manage just the ones you want - for example, agents with no craft assigned- So I added a new combo box which shows all crafts in base (it has also a "No craft filtering" and an "Unassigned" option). When you select a craft -or one of the other options- at the combo box, agents list is filtered, so only soldiers that match the specified craft criterion are shown. All the other filtering options work along with this (as order by rank; or showing only agents suitable to an specific transformation), but now only soldiers at the specified craft will be shown.  You can also re-arrange soldiers at the filtered lists, using left/right arrows.

You can see a video of the feature here:

The only "screens" that still show "all soldiers in base" (with no craft filtering) are Training ones. They could also be changed, if  this sub-feature is desired, but some more classes -apart from "SoldiersState" one-  should be modified, and I didn't want to change a lot of things before knowing if people were interested in this.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Hello,

can your fellow OXCE discord user please share the use case(s) where this feature would be beneficial?

Offline Flaubert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
I will ask him to show here and explain himself. It was related to make easier management of a great retinue of soldiers.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
I would also find it useful. Would make soldier management faster.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Not that I don't believe you, but please at least one example.

Offline Scamps

• Captain
    • View Profile
Strange as it may sound, apoc-style inventory was the prime example. While idea behind it is to separate soldier inventory from craft, in fact I mostly use it to avoid loading unnecessary items onto craft. But with 7.9 change where you have access to base inventory from craft this is no longer an issue.

Offline mutantlord

• Colonel
    • View Profile
If I may add my input, if you have a lot of soldiers in a base with different troop transports. If you want to transfer a craft to another base and want know which of the soldiers are to be transferred. This kind of sort is useful.

Offline mutantlord

• Colonel
    • View Profile
If I may add my input, if you have a lot of soldiers in a base with different troop transports. If you want to transfer a craft to another base and want know which of the soldiers are to be transferred. This kind of sort is useful.

Similar request made by some one awhile back https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,11110.msg134926.html#msg134926

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Not that I don't believe you, but please at least one example.

Well, I tend to not move my soldiers around much, because many of them are on fixed positions (tanks at the front, archers at the back of Menace, etc.). So I have to scroll a lot to see all the people on this craft... It would be nice to have an option to sort by craft, but otherwise keep the previous order.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
I have heard 2 (relatively weak) arguments for sorting by craft.
It will be added in the next version: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,11249.0.html

But I have heard zero arguments for filtering by craft, so I will assume nobody is interested (or nobody can give any meaningful use case).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 05:18:57 pm by Meridian »