Author Topic: [TOTAL CONVERSION] The Piratez Mod - 0.9.j - 9 May - Holiday Edition  (Read 767753 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] The Piratez Mod - 0.9.j - 9 May - Holiday Edition
« Reply #1260 on: May 09, 2015, 11:27:59 pm »
I've done nothing so it was probably some Nightly issue, glad that's gone now.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: May 10, 2015, 01:12:54 am »
Well yeah, it doesnt compile as good as I would have hoped though. It does fix that but (predictably) creates a lot of other errors that seem minor (wrong graphics and icons etc). But there is a major thing: You cant interrogate certain people. So waiting the extended version now.

Havent tried the extended mod, I hear it gives much more freedom to add things to the game, but I fear it might deviate too much. Well time will tell :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 01:16:48 am by pilot00 »

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: May 10, 2015, 02:30:45 am »
Hey Diox is this version compatible with the OpenXcom overhaul or should I still use my old back-up'd version of OXC?

EDIT: I saw the post about this version being obsolete from here on in.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 03:18:07 am by Phoenix7786 »

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: May 10, 2015, 03:00:12 am »
Hey Diox is this version compatible with the OpenXcom overhaul or should I still use my old back-up'd version of OXC?

It kinda works as I tested it but kinda is the key word. You will get a lot of messed up icons in the booty pedia for example (boomasorus faces or corpses insted of the dagger icon etc), and I was unable to interrogate high level captives, those are a few of the issues I encountered.

Would be better to wait for the next version IRC.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: May 10, 2015, 03:54:02 am »
Kind of a brief message this time, another linux case crash to report: There is a while bunch of .map instead of .MAP for some of the new terrain. Industrial, madurban and porturban.

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: May 10, 2015, 04:41:12 am »
fyi, with the new mod system, case mismatch errors go away.  no more will windows case insensitivity plague the struggling Linux user!

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1266 on: May 10, 2015, 09:32:58 am »
Kind of a brief message this time, another linux case crash to report: There is a while bunch of .map instead of .MAP for some of the new terrain. Industrial, madurban and porturban.

What. These maps are anything but new, how comes no-one has noticed this for more than a year. Also please report this to Hobbes (but since the new mod engine is taking care of it now anyway, it's probably needless).

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: May 10, 2015, 06:17:58 pm »
fyi, with the new mod system, case mismatch errors go away.  no more will windows case insensitivity plague the struggling Linux user!
That is awesome news! Will have to update sooner than later.

@Dioxine: I just checked in my old compilation with the Terrain Pack (my current one for Piratez doesn't use it) and the problem is not there. All the maps are .MAP. It seems like it is a Piratez issue.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1268 on: May 10, 2015, 07:50:34 pm »
Well I haven't touched any of these maps, recently or ever, but the map selection provided is not updated to Hobbes' latest either.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #1269 on: May 11, 2015, 04:05:35 pm »
 :'(

Its a very sad day, when an enemy grenade sails into the Bonny before you've even had a chance to step out. 

Smoke on the ramp didn't stop the enemy from tossing it, when we landed where he could see inside.  This may mean that the player has to abort any mission where the map placement is such that any enemy can see into the back of the Bonny. 

One suggestion, borrowed from Terror from the Deep's Triton, is craft doors on the back ramp that would automatically close at the end of the turn.  Something to consider.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: May 11, 2015, 04:19:52 pm »
But those cost TUs to open every turn! Bleh..

I agree that it's a sad day when it happens though.. my answer is to have the gals at the ramp pack bombs or pre-primed explosives. Who said piracy was a safe occupation? The solution is not more defenses capt'n! We gotta blow 'em up before they blow us up!

(Also an argument in favor of guns instead of melee relative to the other thread: Shoot them from inside the Bonny. It's something I do in vanilla xcom too. My second group of soldiers on the skyranger packs a rocket launcher and sniper rifle to take out immediate threats to disembarkation. RPGs are not cheap in Piratez but still affordable. If they take out a dude who would have thrown a grenade in the Bonny, then that was 1000% worth it)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #1271 on: May 11, 2015, 04:34:00 pm »
But those cost TUs to open every turn! Bleh..

LOL. 6 Tus is a small price to pay imo. ;)

Yeah. Moar offense. I guess that is the only way you can play now.  Trying to play safe probably no longer works. 

It feels like it might be nice to have both tactics viable.  Its always nice to have more than one solution to a problem.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: May 11, 2015, 04:44:10 pm »
Just 6? It felt like it was more.. but that's probably because I am impatient.

I agree about having multiple solutions. I'd say Piratez should have more offensive solutions but a few defensive ones help too.

Ramp and doors though? I would be interested to see how Dioxine's creative genius reconciles those.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #1273 on: May 11, 2015, 04:49:49 pm »
What is the deal with stun rods now?

I'm still on version 9i

I have some still around, but Cattle Prods are the new version.  I can't get a bootypedia entry on the stunrod to see if its still useful relative to the cattleprod.  Is it just a mystery weapon?  Are they totally useless?  Should I just sell them all?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1274 on: May 11, 2015, 05:25:19 pm »
@Oh GOsh these guys actually grenaded me inside my ship!

I think you take the Bonaventura for what it most certainly isn't: a defensive bunker. It was designed as a 100% offensive craft and ought be used as one. Enemies in front of you should be immediately killed, if that proves impossible, smoke the inside and disperse. And pray. Well, it's a hazardous job. On the other hand, it offers you best chance to quickly dispatch enemies around you; that was the source of my greviance with "no explosives until turn 3" mode, since by turn 3, oftentimes I've managed to kill more than half of the enemies on the map and cause panic amongst the rest. I can't put a door on the back end of Bonaventura, since the opening is 2x2 for ease of throwing grenades outside & possibility of shooting from the perch. If I put a door there, I'd have to wall the upper half of the opening. Plus the annoying TU loss to open the door, you might need these 6 TUs for offense :)
If you want a defensive craft, sell the Bonaventura and buy a Pachyderm. Or wait until more advanced craft are available (Deliverator is fairly easy to develop, and it's also fairly defensive).

@Cattle prods
Sell the stun rods, buy cattle prods. Stun rods are left so the guys who still own them can sell them for a full price. To anybody else, they're invisible and unobtainable. They still work if you really want to use them, but they're weaker. And, the main reason why Cattle Prods were introduced: it is possible to put a melee hit sound on them, while it is seemingly impossible with stun rods for some reason.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 05:30:06 pm by Dioxine »