aliens

Author Topic: Advice for a returning player  (Read 785 times)

Offline DarthTheIII

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Advice for a returning player
« on: September 22, 2023, 02:25:03 am »
Hey everybody, I played through the Xcom-Files extensivly about two years ago, and want to start up a new campaign.  I've seen that the modpack has had a lot of major changes, especially with all the new geoscape acivity like cult "ufos" and bases.  I'd like some broad advice for playing on the latest version.  Please don't be crazy specific, I'm very familiar with the quirks of openxcom modpacks, and learning is half the fun.  But if theres some random research topic thats super important, or a new type of enemy aggresion you need to prepare for I'd love some tips.  For example, back when I last played the earliest time you could ever get a base defense was after angering the syndicate, if there's some new aggresive faction earlier in the game I'd need to change up my strategies compared to how I played 2 years ago.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for a returning player
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2023, 09:12:22 am »
Probably the biggest new thing is the mansions. If you see not-UFOs coming after your craft, or some unexplained score dips, it's time to patrol all the cities near where the suspicious activity is taking place. And to kill the cultist nests off before they grow.

Otherwise, I think most other things are not too different. Endgame is more of an RNG fest, I think, and don't forget to grab a live Deep One if you want fast access to Underwater missions.

Oh, and baby base defences against Mars aliens, but I guess these are not too bad.

Offline sudtrap

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for a returning player
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2023, 10:59:16 pm »
Honestly, outside the mansions, the game isn't so radically different you won't be able to figure it out. The end cult missions have changed; so those may be different. Red Dawn's new final mission is significantly harder than before.

There are more options available; oh yeah and there a ton of new enhancements for agents. Please be aware that not all enhancements stack (!!!) so you'll want to be more selective.

Also, screw green guys. Dagon's cult must die.