Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1622728 times)

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [COMPILATION][RESEARCH] FMP Core/Tech Tree part
« Reply #1260 on: April 07, 2015, 07:44:42 pm »
Dont forget that stuff colored by script reverts to original colours during dying animation and so does floorobject/corpse. It doesnt look nice.
dying animation? It should be still colored. Corpse can't be colored because different code is responsible for drawing it than units. Over all I can made them colored too but it require new code to handle it. I already did that in my experimental branch once but I didn't want push Warboy too far with my wild ideas.
To add this, I require two things:
a) people want this
b) Warboy agree that this is worth including

Offline Ridаn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: April 07, 2015, 08:15:31 pm »
dying animation? It should be still colored. Corpse can't be colored because different code is responsible for drawing it than units. Over all I can made them colored too but it require new code to handle it. I already did that in my experimental branch once but I didn't want push Warboy too far with my wild ideas.
To add this, I require two things:
a) people want this
b) Warboy agree that this is worth including

Just checked it up and it is indeed working. I do remember that it wasnt working few nightlies ago, and kinda didnt pay any attention attention since (probably because it started working and didnt hurt my eyes anymore, haha).
I do apologize for this piece of misinformation.

Offline NuclearStudent

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: April 08, 2015, 10:55:50 am »
It might just be my personal opinion, but I feel that Magnums might be too good at almost everything. They excel at mid range skirmishing. They are reliable, accurate, and mobile, and are superior to the miniguns, machine guns, pistol, and rifles in most cases. They are also effective at close range because of the large and reliable burst damage each shot deals. In addition, they hit and kill targets at long range about as reliably or more reliably than the rifle, because the sum of the aimed shots are about as accurate and Magnum shots are more likely to penetrate armour.

I'm not even mentioning that the Magnum is a one-handed weapon light enough to be carried by the weakest soldiers. When a month of time passes, the superiority of Magnums becomes even more pronounced. Tougher, more heavily armoured targets like the Men in Black Enforcers make lower damage weapons less useful and the armour penetration of the Magnum even better.

The magnum isn't game-bustingly overpowered, but many other options seem to pale in comparison.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 10:58:45 am by NuclearStudent »

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: April 08, 2015, 07:28:21 pm »
Hey Solarius, took me a while to reply.

Thanks for taking my suggestions as that, I have seen a lot of people getting offended when someone offers opinions on their work, and take it as rude, glad you are not one of them.

Also, on one of my points it seems I was completely wrong (the  one about armors). It seems it was lucky shots that got absorbed from the armor. In later missions I got predictably slaughtered (as it should be). Also in regards to my question about the Hybrid totting rifles that something might be wrong, i was mistaken too. I never saw they had sniper rifles.I just saw the shot and automatically thought its a standard rifle.
Sorry if those caused a hassle.

Oh and another thing: In regards to the shotgun scatter on the alloy munitions: I dont 'want' to make them single shot as opposed to scatter. I just thought a shotgun been a shotgun would have scatter shots regardless of the ammunition matterials. Or so I think. If you believe the way its handled now is better then do it that way :) I just find it odd.

Keep up the good work buddy.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 07:30:23 pm by pilot00 »

Offline Ridаn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: April 08, 2015, 07:37:32 pm »
I actually like Shotgun`s Alloy ammunition, it is still a smoothbore weapon after all, and I do not think that making pellets out of very light and hard to deform alien alloys is a good idea.

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: April 08, 2015, 08:36:05 pm »
Just for the record, I'm fine with AP and alloy shotgun rounds being single-shot (which, now that I've read up on shotguns I realize is a perfectly legit kind of shotgun ammo).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 09:07:07 pm by myk002 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1266 on: April 08, 2015, 09:40:56 pm »
Thanks pilot00, man :)

I actually like Shotgun`s Alloy ammunition, it is still a smoothbore weapon after all, and I do not think that making pellets out of very light and hard to deform alien alloys is a good idea.

They, uh... They're way fast. :)

Just for the record, I'm fine with AP and alloy shotgun rounds being single-shot (which, now that I've read up on shotguns I realize is a perfectly legit kind of shotgun ammo).

I've added the new ammo already, so for now I'll leave them there on the "don't like it, don't use it" basis. There's not much to prevent such ammo, and since somebody wanted that, hey, why not? I can always remove it later.

Offline NuclearStudent

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: April 09, 2015, 08:29:21 am »
As I move further into the campaign, I'm loving the experience.

Right now, March is my Men in Black Month. I love the juxtaposition between regular missions and the sleek, dark firefighting of the Men in Black.  I'm currently raiding a landed very large UFO, and it was extremely tense to learn that I was invading some sort of governmental meeting or MIBBY facility.

The way the game is set up makes me wonder-am I a morally grey character? My soldiers just blew up a passing dog with rocket-launcher reaction fire. It was absolutely excessive force, and I could have simply tased the dog and brought it a warm, nurturing environment.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1268 on: April 09, 2015, 08:31:16 am »
You've inspired me... Live MiB dogs should be recoverable! :)

Offline NuclearStudent

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: April 09, 2015, 09:18:05 am »
You've inspired me... Live MiB dogs should be recoverable! :)

Hella sweet! I know I can't name dogs, but the dog I brought with a stun rod will always be Lassie in my heart.

Unfortunately, Lassie (and every single member of my team but a single scout) was blown up by what appeared to be a blaster bomb. Even more unfortunately, there's no way to tell the difference between dead bodies and unconscious soldiers from the minimap, so the lone survivor is going to have to make a break for it alone and abandon the bodies of his comrades. C'est la vie!

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: April 09, 2015, 08:25:07 pm »
a electrical dog

mmmmmmm Pokemon........

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: April 09, 2015, 11:16:08 pm »
a electrical dog

mmmmmmm Pokemon........

Power armored and cyber assisted dogs? With plasma cannon mounted broadsides.

Ok seriously Nobody mod that.

Offline Quinch

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: April 09, 2015, 11:25:15 pm »
Well, they already have prehensile tongues... or opposable thumbs, given the dexterity with which they can manipulate stun rods or medkits.

Offline Quinch

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: April 09, 2015, 11:40:49 pm »

Well, if we're trying to go for realism { :P}, alloy weapons would likely be a better avenue of development. Unless I'm mistaken, the main limitation of the power of a bullet that can be loaded in a weapon is the strength of the barrel - too much pressure, and it would simply fall apart under the pressure of the detonation. Thus, having sturdier rifle materials would allow for more powerful bullets {let's go for alloy as well, no point mixing custom and non-custom armaments}. Automatic weapons would also benefit, as alloys would presumably have a better heat tolerance and allow for longer bursts.

Just throwing that out, anyway. It would probably be too much work to implement.

As a side note, what's the whole deal with the whole recolor stuff in the save files? Does it allow for recoloring units on the fly or something?

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: April 10, 2015, 12:39:33 am »
Well, they already have prehensile tongues... or opposable thumbs
yes.  these dogs are /very/ well trained : )

re: alloy weapons -- reality notwithstanding, I like that it's just the ammo.  having to manufacture an entire new set of firearms would be a bit too much, I think.

Edit: I think I found an issue with the new SkyMarshall: my unit can see an enemy outside the top (closed) door.  Savegame attached.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 01:10:05 am by myk002 »