aliens

Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1126549 times)

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #3915 on: November 02, 2023, 03:07:54 pm »
There are various "features" of OXC(E) and sometimes it is very difficult to hit a target even with very high accuracy (like 120+). This seems to depend on where the unit is respective to the terrain. I think there have even been patches to fix some of these, but no particular interest in making OXC(E) accuracy to be actually accurate. See for example:

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,10967.msg157927.html#msg157927

I have certainly seen huge difficulties in hitting units that are on certain sloped terrains many times, or similar to what Abyss describes on the thread, close to a wall while shooting roughly on tangent with the wall. This is very likely one of those OXC(E) accuracy features. When the unit is located on a certain tile, the best bet might be to try to shoot at it from a different angle.

I'd certainly like these to be fixed for more predicability (for example: half a dozen 130+ shots missing a target? Clearly not just an RNG issue).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 03:09:41 pm by psavola »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: November 02, 2023, 08:10:49 pm »
That's kind of a silly argument. Sorry, but falling to your own assumptions is your own fault, when these assumptions were made too hastily.
The argument is fine, since it's conditional on non-'realism' and 'fake difficulty' being non-desirable. The conclusion may not hold, if either of the two is fine, at least some of the time  - which, from previous discussions and general design patterns in the mod, seems to be the case.

*shrug* I mean, it's no skin off my nose. If the bots start to annoy me personally, I can just replace the chainsaws for myself. It's the newcomers who will have to live with "what you see is not what you get", and will come back with this or a similar report next year, and the next, and the next...

Edit: In any case, if the chainsawbots remain as they are, at least a little explanation in the pedia wouldn't go amiss. Right now, I think they don't actually have a proper entry? The armour paperdoll has a, well, chainsaw that's pretty attached to the body. The chainsaw entry looks all in the world like a regular chainsaw, and you have to go to the nerdpedia to see that it's actually a retractable ninja chainsaw.
/edit

Or I could make consistent rules about how standard tiles (like walls) work...
From what Yankes said in the relevant OXCE thread, this likely is not enough. Asymmetric vision can also be caused by unit shapes, both player and enemy. It's like a lot of other weird bits in OXCE, it's close enough and you just learn to live with it (or make your own fork). Myself, I've never relied on getting to spot enemies just around a corner without someone in some manner actually not turning that corner.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 10:49:23 am by Juku121 »

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3917 on: November 03, 2023, 01:36:57 pm »

I have certainly seen huge difficulties in hitting units that are on certain sloped terrains many times, or similar to what Abyss describes on the thread, close to a wall while shooting roughly on tangent with the wall. This is very likely one of those OXC(E) accuracy features. When the unit is located on a certain tile, the best bet might be to try to shoot at it from a different angle.

I'd certainly like these to be fixed for more predictability (for example: half a dozen 130+ shots missing a target? Clearly not just an RNG issue).

This.
A lot of enemies on slopes/hills, difficult to hit even when 100% hit chance is shown.
Thanks for the link, good read.

Offline bo

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3918 on: November 05, 2023, 08:50:47 am »
The cult's i do have finished off and still seeing slander missions occasionally pop up.
Did you share alien tech with magma?

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3919 on: November 05, 2023, 02:36:32 pm »
Did you share alien tech with magma?

In this particular playthrough yes. I wanted to try a test in this playthrough, I shared every possible thing i could.
So you might be onto something. Good thinking.

Offline plainer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3920 on: November 09, 2023, 03:04:27 am »
In version 2.9, the swimwear had a pocket (technically the left leg). In version 3.0 (and the current one), it has disappeared.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3921 on: November 11, 2023, 03:38:41 pm »
All the AI tanks, including hovertanks, have night vision 10. This seems like an oversight and is misbalanced. Having night vision capability in such mechanical units would be trivial. Especially hovertanks, with all the other advanced technology they include, should have at least moderate night vision (like 15 or 18), and IMHO it would make sense to give hovertanks 20 NV.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3922 on: November 11, 2023, 10:01:53 pm »
In UAC Aerospace Lab mission, the final enemy(ies) surrendered and I was moved to the underground phase. However, no equipment (either on the craft or from the enemies) transferred on that stage, so even though I got the chance re-equip the squad, the pool to choose from was empty. There was also no loot pile to equip from anywhere on the floor, as there always has been on multistage missions.

This bug still occurs.

Offline zRrr

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: November 12, 2023, 08:22:49 pm »
This bug still occurs.

This is something for Meridian and Yankes, currently oxce only tests, if all remaining aliens are under mind control, else game treats it as if player moved soldiers on exit tile and aborted. MiB Lunar Base or any other multistage mission with surrendering enemies will have same issue. Probably should be reported under OXCE Bugs.

Anyway, here is save from quick battle. Hit the scientist to get your stuff, press "next turn" to not.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3924 on: November 12, 2023, 08:31:55 pm »
This is something for Meridian and Yankes, currently oxce only tests, if all remaining aliens are under mind control, else game treats it as if player moved soldiers on exit tile and aborted. MiB Lunar Base or any other multistage mission with surrendering enemies will have same issue. Probably should be reported under OXCE Bugs.

Anyway, here is save from quick battle. Hit the scientist to get your stuff, press "next turn" to not.

Huge thanks for reproducing this. Reposted on OXCE bugs.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3925 on: November 17, 2023, 09:47:57 pm »
Has anyone else noticed...

- it takes 4TU's to kneel.
- It takes 8 TU's to stand up again.

Is this by design ??

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: November 17, 2023, 10:21:16 pm »
Gravity working against X-Com? :P

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: November 17, 2023, 10:37:01 pm »
Has anyone else noticed...

- it takes 4TU's to kneel.
- It takes 8 TU's to stand up again.

Is this by design ??
What would be super nice if picking items from the floor while kneeled would cost less than 14 TU.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: November 17, 2023, 11:45:14 pm »
Gravity working against X-Com? :P

I haven't looked at the code for this but I wonder if it is tied into gravity. Going up another level is 8TU's (weather flying or elevators).
Maybe an oversight on Solarius part, or intentional. who knows.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: November 18, 2023, 12:26:03 am »
I was referring to the fact that OG aliens couldn't kneel.

XCF of course has turned the tables on the little green grey bastards! ;D