Author Topic: Question about editing saved games  (Read 5569 times)

Offline Darkercloud

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Question about editing saved games
« on: December 27, 2015, 04:20:25 am »
Is it possible to edit a soldiers inventory that has already started a mission?

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Question about editing saved games
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 06:38:29 pm »
yes, but i wouldn't say it's easy

Offline Darkercloud

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 07:08:38 am »
Hex editing?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 05:51:32 pm »
Hex editing?

Easier than that: you can open and edit a saved game with Notepad++ or any other text editor.

Offline Darkercloud

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 06:26:28 pm »
Easier than that: you can open and edit a saved game with Notepad++ or any other text editor.

From what i've messed around with in the save file it only edits your loadout, Not during the current battle. For example I want to freshen one of my soldiers grenade supply.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 12:43:58 am »
From what i've messed around with in the save file it only edits your loadout, Not during the current battle. For example I want to freshen one of my soldiers grenade supply.

I'd think that if you save the tactical game on turn 10 it would save the current inventory of the soldiers, not their initial loadout, but I may be wrong.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 05:18:16 am »
saved soldiers come in two flavours. the ones at the base, and the ones in the battle.

the saved loadouts are on the ones in the base. search for the battle section, it has all the tiles (saved in binary), all the items, and all the units in the battle. honestly though, manipulating that data is not recommended unless you know _exactly_ what you're doing.

i'd suggest instead, simply bump up the unit in question's time units and energy to an absurd level so that they can go pick up whatever item it is and get back in position, let the engine handle it, then re-edit the time units back to their original values. much less margin for error that way.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 05:19:52 am by Warboy1982 »

Offline Darkercloud

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 06:06:49 pm »
saved soldiers come in two flavours. the ones at the base, and the ones in the battle.

the saved loadouts are on the ones in the base. search for the battle section, it has all the tiles (saved in binary), all the items, and all the units in the battle. honestly though, manipulating that data is not recommended unless you know _exactly_ what you're doing.

i'd suggest instead, simply bump up the unit in question's time units and energy to an absurd level so that they can go pick up whatever item it is and get back in position, let the engine handle it, then re-edit the time units back to their original values. much less margin for error that way.

Damn, I was wanting a way to stack grenades and repleneshing them by save editing was my last hope. Thanks for the help.