aliens

Author Topic: [MOD] MedBay  (Read 3319 times)

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
[MOD] MedBay
« on: May 26, 2023, 12:07:24 am »
Seeing how people are actually still using the RO mod I might as well push this one out too.

While I find the sickbay to be a nice early game facility that gets your agents back in the field faster (provided they survived being shot at, set on fire or being set on fore by being shot at), it starts to feel a bit outdated mid-to-late game, what with all this advanced alien tech laying around. Why not use one to solve the other and also get those agents fighting eldritch horrors a bit of a sanity boost?

Currently doesn't require sickbay as a prerequisite.

Initial release, let me know if you encounter any problems.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 12:45:50 am by krautbernd »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [MOD] MedBay
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2023, 11:43:20 am »
Looks interesting, I wouldn't be against adding this to the main mod if you're okay with it.

The sprite is a bit simplistic, but it shouldn't be hard to sex it up.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2023, 03:42:59 pm »
Agreed. Some update on the sick bay and additional speed-up for sanity recovery would be much appreciated. I haven't checked if the enhancement is properly balanced, but that's up to SS in any case.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2023, 12:43:15 am »
Looks interesting, I wouldn't be against adding this to the main mod if you're okay with it.

Sure, go ahead.

Attached is an updated version with a new base sprite (be advised that my paint skills suck), the medbay now also requires the sickbay as prior research and can built over the sickbay.

Changelog

1.01:

- requires sickbay research
- can be built over sickbay
- new sprite
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 12:54:39 am by krautbernd »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2023, 11:34:59 am »
Thanks you. I will review it and probably incorporate it, although some edits are possible, depending on results.

I think the name should also be changed, as by my experience people will routinely mistake one facility for the other... Even I will probably have this problem. Maybe call it a "Cloning Bay"? (For cloning organs of course, not whole people.)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 11:38:32 am by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2023, 12:07:54 pm »
Regeneration Chamber?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2023, 06:42:27 pm »

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2023, 09:36:22 pm »
Honestly I'd prefer something like "Improved Sickbay" or "Advanced Sickbay" (as with the science laboratories) if you want to keep this as an upgrade to the normal sickbay. "Regeneration Chamber" doesn't really encompass everything that the facility is meant to provide.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2023, 09:56:04 pm »
Well, Sickbay doesn't really encompass the bio-enhancement, either. And the rest is some sort of regeneration one way or the other.

"Advanced X" is just so... unimaginative.

Anyway, I guess it's up to Solarius what he'll go with in the end.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2023, 10:09:40 pm »
Well, Sickbay doesn't really encompass the bio-enhancement, either. And the rest is some sort of regeneration one way or the other.

"Advanced X" is just so... unimaginative.

Anyway, I guess it's up to Solarius what he'll go with in the end.

"Sick Bay" is commonly used to refer to navy hospitals and medical facilities on and offshore, and Medbay is commonly used in SciFi to refer to such facilities on spacecraft. Hence why the mod and the facility is called such - essentially a more advanced version of the sickbay, which is exactely what it is supposed to be.

"Advanced X" is in-line with other facilites or items such as the Advanced HQ or Advanced Laboratory, Advanced Healing Spray etc. I don't see anything wrong with using "non-imaginative" language when it isn't needed and fittingly describes what the facility is suppsoed to represent.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2023, 03:20:19 am »
Love this idea.
Will phycological counselling include Restoring some sanity ?
(EDIT) Sorry didnt read the OP well enough.

Great idea.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2023, 01:21:22 pm »
"Sick Bay" is commonly used to refer to navy hospitals and medical facilities on and offshore, and Medbay is commonly used in SciFi to refer to such facilities on spacecraft. Hence why the mod and the facility is called such - essentially a more advanced version of the sickbay, which is exactely what it is supposed to be.

I'm not disputing this, I just personally find it confusing and not user friendly. I wouldn't be able to tell one from another if randomly asked. And to be honest I have no idea how to translate it into any other language I know (even "sick bay" was pretty hard to find in any dictionary, making it very niche).

I hate to make this argument, since it's your work and I am trying to change as little as possible out of respect; but I just can't see this working, sorry.

"Advanced X" is in-line with other facilites or items such as the Advanced HQ or Advanced Laboratory, Advanced Healing Spray etc. I don't see anything wrong with using "non-imaginative" language when it isn't needed and fittingly describes what the facility is suppsoed to represent.

A valid point. I also prefer imaginative over non-imaginative naming, but only when there's a good candidate.

So I vote for "Advanced Sick Bay".

Nah, it would cut into living quarters' territory. We can't have a bonus, only the facility with the highest Sanity recovery counts. (If someone knows a solution, please let me know.)

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2023, 01:43:40 pm »
Nah, it would cut into living quarters' territory. We can't have a bonus, only the facility with the highest Sanity recovery counts. (If someone knows a solution, please let me know.)

The current mod has sanity recovery of 5, which is okay but not that fancy (though I admit I liked that feature in the description). Large living quarters already provides 4, regular ones 3 while sensorium has 8. With current balancing 5 is not a major selling point for this enhancement. I'd actually vote for raising it to 6 and increasing its price considerably, given that it's an advanced facility. But it's your call, obviously.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2023, 02:15:39 pm »
The current mod has sanity recovery of 5, which is okay but not that fancy (though I admit I liked that feature in the description). Large living quarters already provides 4, regular ones 3 while sensorium has 8. With current balancing 5 is not a major selling point for this enhancement. I'd actually vote for raising it to 6 and increasing its price considerably, given that it's an advanced facility. But it's your call, obviously.

You mean for the advanced sick bay? Yeah, I have no issues with this.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2023, 02:37:02 pm »
I'm not disputing this, I just personally find it confusing and not user friendly. I wouldn't be able to tell one from another if randomly asked. And to be honest I have no idea how to translate it into any other language I know (even "sick bay" was pretty hard to find in any dictionary, making it very niche).

I hate to make this argument, since it's your work and I am trying to change as little as possible out of respect; but I just can't see this working, sorry.

I already gave you permission to use the mod, you can rename the facility however you like - this was just in reply to Juku's "but the sickbay also doesn't cover XYZ".

You mean for the advanced sick bay? Yeah, I have no issues with this.

???