aliens

Author Topic: Question about fire.  (Read 18878 times)

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
  • Never let me down again.
    • View Profile
    • Mod Hub for Equal Terms 2.0
Question about fire.
« on: June 23, 2014, 04:34:03 am »
Hello,

I read that many of the bugs from the original Xcom are fixed in this version.

Does that include the weird behavior of fire in the game?

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Question about fire.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 04:55:21 am »
this here?:
Funky Fire

If a unit (alien or friendly) is on fire or standing in flames, an Incendiary explosion anywhere else on the map will do a small amount of damage to it, even if you just shoot an IC round at a random patch of ground.

Similarly, if a unit (friendly units only) is standing in smoke when an incendiary explodes, it will take stun damage. This makes the combination of incendiary munitions and smoke quite hazardous until such time as all troops are armored.

There is a working hypothesis for The cause of this bug is that each and every Incendiary explosion triggers the "Smoke and Fire" routine: applying fire damage, applying stun damage from smoke, calculating fire and smoke spreading, and "catch on fire" checks for units in fire.

Note that X-Com units wearing any kind of armor are immune to fire damage and IC-induced stun damage. Xcom HWPs are immune to stun, but take 40% damage from Incendiaries and WILL get killed quite efficiently by funky fire.
(from https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Known_Bugs#Funky_Fire)
i would be really surprised if this is in openxcom

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 05:29:46 am »
nope, no funky fire.

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 03:28:01 am »
nope, no funky fire.

So how does fire work, exactly?

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 05:04:01 am »
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Incendiary#Damage

I was about to grump on this post, but I see that Zombie has done a ton of research on the subject since the funky fire bug was fixed.  Very interesting, and I would assume that the fire is emulated in the same way as the original game once the funk was patched?  Awesome.

Offline Sturm

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 04:30:26 pm »
this here?: (from https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Known_Bugs#Funky_Fire)
i would be really surprised if this is in openxcom
I always thought it simulates getting suffocated by smoke and isn't a bug.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 07:24:11 pm »
Smoke still give a bit of stun damage, but only once by turn. The funkyfire bug made hit suffocate people additionally every time a fire bullet explodes anywhere.

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 07:43:50 pm »
Just a thought, shouldn't fire do hits on an unconscious alien or xcom operative?

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 09:03:52 pm »
Smoke still give a bit of stun damage, but only once by turn. The funkyfire bug made hit suffocate people additionally every time a fire bullet explodes anywhere.

Yep, you could stun whole batches of aliens, at least, until you ran out of smoke tiles.

Honestly, the incendiary rounds should do some more damage over being on fire. Being on fire and being covered in napalm, or more likely: thermite / white phosphorus are very different things.

Maybe something to play around with when I get my code base standing up.

Offline Sturm

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 12:17:14 am »
Wow, how weird :D . I never noticed it :D .

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 06:35:09 pm »
Wow, how weird :D . I never noticed it :D .

You could do all sorts of insanity, like throw a smoke grenade into a ufo, then have 2-3 soldiers outside open up full auto with incendiary autocannons and stun the crap out of everything in the UFO.

Offline LeBashar

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 10:48:14 pm »
Honestly, the incendiary rounds should do some more damage over being on fire. Being on fire and being covered in napalm, or more likely: thermite / white phosphorus are very different things.

I have suggested something similar with an additionnal hit damage for incendiary ammo. With it we could make a blast radius for the fire+damage over the time, but also a hit damage which can be as powerful as AP or anything else. For now the "power" does not change the small amount of damage done. It could be interesting to separate the DoT effect of the weapon initial hit.

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 11:32:13 pm »
I have suggested something similar with an additionnal hit damage for incendiary ammo. With it we could make a blast radius for the fire+damage over the time, but also a hit damage which can be as powerful as AP or anything else. For now the "power" does not change the small amount of damage done. It could be interesting to separate the DoT effect of the weapon initial hit.

I have buffed the explosion damage in a personal build, but I am still testing it.  Originally the code does between 5-10 damage or so.  I have it doing between weaponPower/4, with weapon power randomness already determined.  So a 70 damage incendiary rocket does between 35 and 0 damage on an explosion with default damage generation (200%-0%).

But I'd love to code up a 'melting' state that burns for 1-3 rounds, like being on fire, but does a certain portion of the weapon's power as DOT.  I haven't had a chance to implement it yet.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 02:32:51 pm »
I just read that fire damage doesn't affect morale. I'd rather like if it was the opposite : catching fire would be a good reason to drop your weapon and freeze in terror or run in random direction.
(This applies well to civilians and xcom soldiers, of course)