Author Topic: How "disposable" are Xcom troops to you?  (Read 9447 times)

Offline Branes51

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: How "disposable" are Xcom troops to you?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 02:35:52 am »
I had 3 high ranking officers. 2 captains and a commander in the skyranger, a psi trooper with 99 psi strengh and 100 psi skill ( I fudged the numbers a little, the strength number is legit, the skill was bumped up a little) and a trooper with bravery of 60 and 52 psi strength went berserk, fortunately he fired at the wall and not my troops. If a I guy with 60 bravery can be mind fudged..I don't want a 20 or 30 bravery guy anywhere near my squad. I had to clear everyone out of the Skyranger before he killed someone important. And he was a sergeant. not that that really matters.

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 07:13:17 pm »
I have played this game for so many years that soldiers are just expendable to me, specially rookies. Exploring a map can be really hazardous to troops so I still tend to use HWPs to do the initial searching. Soldiers go next and then the Officers. I can't fit a HWP inside most UFO's, so breaching them is a rookies' job. I usually send them in with a live explosive, in case they get shot to death, otherwise, they throw the device and get the hell back outside.

I never sack personnel, and if someone is specially weak against PSI attacks, they join a team to be the walking ammo box and PSI Beacon. Since aliens tend to PSI rape weak minded humans more often, they keep the rest of the team more safer from PSI attacks.

If ppl die, they die. I stopped with the "save at every step" thing when I was in College but I only load a game when the entire team is lost... Too lazy to wait for a new Skyranger to arrive. :P

Offline aceshigh

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2014, 08:22:58 pm »
they are not disposable at all. Meaning that you will hate me, but I am a save-load freak. I play the game since the 90s doing everything possible (meaning loading and trying different tactics) to end the game without any casualty at all.

really, I have no patience to have to wait for new soldiers to grow their TU stats again!

Offline wsmithjr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2014, 11:15:10 pm »
really, I have no patience to have to wait for new soldiers to grow their TU stats again!

To each his own, but to me the constant save-reloading would require more patience than taking some losses. That said, everybody has their limits. :)

Offline KORfan

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • KORfan's photos
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2014, 10:05:24 pm »
I don't consider them disposable but I do recognize that a number of them are going to die.  I preserve them if I can so they gain experience and improve.  I'd rather lose rookies than experienced troops, so they stand in the door of the transport and they force the doors of the UFOs.  I do refer to the early phases of the game as trading lives for tech.   I did rename a base after one hero who died saving it from an assault.  :)

I check all new hires and fire those with bravery 10 or 20.  They're going to panic on missions once someone gets killed and they do more harm than good.  Low PSI troops get transferred to garrison duty at radar bases; an Ethereal attack will probably take out one of those bases anyway.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 11:44:21 pm by KORfan »