aliens

Author Topic: Turn UFO landing into crashed ufo via battlescape damage  (Read 3879 times)

Offline MrFrustrated

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Turn UFO landing into crashed ufo via battlescape damage
« on: November 16, 2014, 01:16:10 am »
You should be able to turn a ufo that has landed into a crashed ufo by destroying either all its nav computers or blowing up all its Power Sources during a battlescape combat.

Granted, if you manage to do that, chances are you will be able to mop up the rest of the aliens

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Turn UFO landing into crashed ufo via battlescape damage
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 12:30:43 pm »
I understand your logic, but is there a point to actually do it? Like you say if you manage to get into a UFO and get access to the nav computers and power sources then not only are you likely to be able to mop up the rest of the aliens but you will have probably wiped out most of them on the way.

It's really a needless amount of time spent to code it so it works and make sure it doesn't break or affect anything else adversely for something that would only ever be done by a player if it provided some bonus. That being said this is OpenXCOM so if you or anyone else wants to code it then they can.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 03:22:01 pm »
You should be able to turn a ufo that has landed into a crashed ufo
Do you realize that after mission start, those two missions are completely identical ? Same victory/defeat rules, same score, same recovery... So what should be different from today ?

Offline pkrcel

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 08:59:09 pm »
What would be the logic in this?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 09:14:16 pm »
Although it would be realistic, in the current game it would also be rather pointless. You can only assault a UFO once, then it disappears from the geoscape, regardless of the outcome. So you turn a landed UFO into a crashed one, abort mission and then it's gone.. much like if you had just aborted the mission without the extra coding work of turning it into a crashed one.

If UFOs remained after assaults when the outcome is an XCom defeat, so that you can assault it again, that could be more useful. But getting multiple tries at an UFO changes the game at a strategic level. Then we would need the aliens getting reinforcements from another UFO (coming to rescue them) or the MiB (coverup) to balance the strategic changes and all that would require a lot of work...

Offline MrFrustrated

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 06:17:56 am »
I hear what everyone says, but I do take issue with this:

You can only assault a UFO once, then it disappears from the geoscape, regardless of the outcome.

Crashed ufos, yes, but landed, not so true.

I had mission take place with a landed Harvester in Greenland that was impossible to complete. I had no flying troops and water seperated me from the ufo. I killed a few and aborted mission. The UFO took off and I either shot it down or waited it to land a 2nd time. Either way, I won the next battlescape with that ufo.