Author Topic: Missions Auto-Succeeding on Landing  (Read 4138 times)

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Missions Auto-Succeeding on Landing
« on: August 13, 2013, 12:03:08 am »
I know that it worked this way in the original X-Com, but should alien missions like alien infiltration and base construction auto-succeed the moment a craft lands?

To me that seems more like a bug than an actual feature. I think that if your ground team manages to attack a landed UFO before it lifts off and win the battlescape combat, the mission it was performing should automatically fail.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 12:09:16 am by Surrealistik »

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
Re: Missions Auto-Succeeding on Landing
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 12:50:24 am »
agreed. I'd like to see all/most mission types get a major rethink.

I used to scurry underequipped soldiers plus a lame dog off to Rome to take on battleships thinking "can't let them infiltrate..."

until i understood the mechanic. I'd even be okay with giving a %chance of success that rose or lowered depending on how successful (or not) an anti-infiltration mission goes,

ref. UFO Behavior, at the bottom. also, Alien Missions

On the good side I've been getting lots of TeRRoR

Offline Juju Dredd

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • My gamer website (french)
Re: Missions Auto-Succeeding on Landing
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 04:33:50 pm »
I think it is not that simple.
According to ufopedia, successfully attacking a landed alien ship does prevent him from succeeding its mission. The problem is alien infiltration and alien base construction in vanilla UFO defense do not need any UFO mission success. This means that if you destroy/crash or successfully attack on ground a UFO with infiltration mission, you will only prevent alien to decrease your monthly score and you won't prevent them from infiltrating those stupid Chinese, Indian, American or French governments...

We speak about that in this other topic