Author Topic: Can I change the way soldiers gain experience?  (Read 2716 times)

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
Can I change the way soldiers gain experience?
« on: July 23, 2017, 05:28:08 am »
I want to make it so that soldiers gain reactions experience not only by using reaction fire, but also any time they successfully suppress fire from an alien who had the time units to use reaction fire, or something like that. I want my soldiers to gain reactions whether they fight aggressively or defensively.

I am also interested in any other information relating to changing the way soldiers gain experience.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 05:30:00 am by The Reaver of Darkness »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Can I change the way soldiers gain experience?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 09:27:46 am »
... but also any time they successfully suppress fire from an alien who had the time units to use reaction fire, or something like that.

I don't understand.

I am also interested in any other information relating to changing the way soldiers gain experience.

Soldiers gain experience when the HIT with anything (no damage necessary) or when they HEAL (with medikit).
You can select from 32 options what should they gain when using a particular item... or if that is not enough, you can use Yankes' scripts to implement your own option.

PS: other sources: pilots shooing down UFO (accuracy, reactions and bravery) and martial training facility (all except bravery and reactions I think).

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 09:39:44 am »
I don't understand.
If you run in front of an alien and they have enough time units to make reaction fire, but they fail the reaction check.

Soldiers gain experience when the HIT with anything (no damage necessary) or when they HEAL (with medikit).
You can select from 32 options what should they gain when using a particular item
How do I change these in the ruleset?

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 09:51:13 am »
If you run in front of an alien and they have enough time units to make reaction fire, but they fail the reaction check.

That's not possible at the moment.

How do I change these in the ruleset?

The 32 options are here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4230.0.html
(experienceTrainingMode atttribute on a weapon)

As for scripts I don't know, never tried that.

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 11:36:09 am »
That can work. Perhaps I can just merge reactions training with firing accuracy training. After all, whoever would train reactions would probably be getting hits as well.