aliens

Author Topic: Is there a reason why UFO fire sound uses laser cannon instead of plasma?  (Read 4525 times)

Offline Istrebitel

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Well, AFAIK the original game had no sound for UFO fire (and it made sense that way, because it didnt interfere with awesome sounds of player's craft firing...) And also, should we really hear the sound of UFO weapon fire, if we're supposedly the interceptor? It's understandable why we hear the sound of UFO being hit or crashing (since that's obviously quite loud) but there could be an argument why can't we hear UFO firing especially at 60 kilometers...

But then again, maybe it also makes sense for us to hear the sound. Gameplay purposes and all...

Then, why is the laser cannon sound used? If anything, it makes sense for UFO to use plasma cannon's sound, not laser, because.,. well, most likely they are firing plasma at us! Plus there is another argument for using plasma sound... it's less loud!

So, maybe UFO firing sound should be changed to plasma?

Offline skyhawk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
I don't remember UFO fire being silent in the original game. I clearly remember hearing it in TFTD at least.

I just tested it, and you're right, there's no sound from UFO return fire in the original. huh. I certainly prefer having return-fire sound, though tbh I cant really tell the difference between plasma and laser fire. :)

Offline Istrebitel

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
It's very different, and mainly, the laser sound is LOUDER. While plasma sound is less loud. And then, it makes sense for aliens to use plasma, not laser sounds
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 02:03:39 pm by Istrebitel »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Most likely you're used to the DOS sounds and OpenXCom uses the CE version (and sounds). The most dramatic difference to me is the Sectoid death cry which is completely different between DOS and CE.

Offline Istrebitel

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
There is no UFO attack sound in either version AFAIK.

But was Laser and Plasma sounds similar in either of those?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
There is no UFO attack sound in either version AFAIK.

But was Laser and Plasma sounds similar in either of those?

One of the first mods I got was the one containing the DOS sounds so I'm not knowledgeable if there's any difference.