aliens

Author Topic: [OLD] Old OXCE+ discussion thread  (Read 743980 times)

Offline TheDeparted

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [OXCE+] Original discussion thread
« Reply #1530 on: June 28, 2018, 10:00:58 pm »
Yes, but it's a low priority.

So glad to hear that, despite being a low priority. Also, Meridian, I read somewhere that you were considering adding a training facility minimod that can be activated in the options menu. I think that would be fantastic! Are you still considering this possibility?  ;D

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: June 28, 2018, 10:10:12 pm »
So glad to hear that, despite being a low priority. Also, Meridian, I read somewhere that you were considering adding a training facility minimod that can be activated in the options menu. I think that would be fantastic! Are you still considering this possibility?  ;D

I don't remember saying that... there are several training facility mods available on the forum already, I don't see a particular reason to distribute them as standard mods.

Meridian, what other plans?
By the way, it would be good "Readme.txt" to upgrade, write there all the available options for rules files. And then I heard something about anti-camouflage, but found none and even impossible to understand, it exists or not?

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4822.0.html

And yes, I will make a proper documentation one day...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 10:14:03 pm by Meridian »

Offline Player701

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: June 29, 2018, 09:49:25 am »
OK, that's a pretty clear bug for me then... I'll report to Yankes.

Sorry for the late reply. I guess a save file is not needed anymore since you have by now ruled out that the issue is actually a bug?

P.S. Just a few words regarding my opinion on this project:

Basically, the QoL improvements is all I'm after. OXCE+ seems to do a fairly good job on this, though I wish some features were customizable without the use of mods (like the bug hunt mode, for example).

Also, the changelog seems to feature a lot of changes which seem like they modify the game mechanics compared to OpenXcom. For example: "Alien bases can now scan for xcom craft and generate hunt missions". How do I know if this is just a modding option that is NOT enabled by default or a new feature built into the base game? I'd really like to have an experience as close to the "vanilla" game as possible (except the bugs, of course) but with additional QoL. OXCE+ goes much further than OXC in terms of the latter, but if it also makes changes to the actual gameplay, it would be nice to know what exactly it changes.

Thank you very much :)

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: June 29, 2018, 01:36:07 pm »
Hello.
I have a question about forcefields.
Is it possible to use unit energy for the shield strength, as "mana shield" from diablo II or other games?

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: June 29, 2018, 02:07:30 pm »
Yes, it can depend on any property you can read and write in scripts.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: June 29, 2018, 02:11:28 pm »
Sorry for the late reply. I guess a save file is not needed anymore since you have by now ruled out that the issue is actually a bug?

Yes, it's fixed already and will be available in the next version.

P.S. Just a few words regarding my opinion on this project:

Basically, the QoL improvements is all I'm after. OXCE+ seems to do a fairly good job on this, though I wish some features were customizable without the use of mods (like the bug hunt mode, for example).

Also, the changelog seems to feature a lot of changes which seem like they modify the game mechanics compared to OpenXcom. For example: "Alien bases can now scan for xcom craft and generate hunt missions". How do I know if this is just a modding option that is NOT enabled by default or a new feature built into the base game? I'd really like to have an experience as close to the "vanilla" game as possible (except the bugs, of course) but with additional QoL. OXCE+ goes much further than OXC in terms of the latter, but if it also makes changes to the actual gameplay, it would be nice to know what exactly it changes.

Thank you very much :)

Most features are customizable via mods (including bases hunting for your craft), because I wanted to keep things vanilla... just like you.

99.9% of game-mechanics-features are optional and without mods, OXCE+ is practically identical in mechanics as OXC.
The only changed mechanic I can think of in OXCE+ is throwing accuracy training... you can't train throwing accuracy just by throwing junk like flares around... throwing accuracy is trained only if you actually hit an enemy, e.g. with a grenade.
Everything else is (should be) vanilla.

A few (less than 5) changes were inherited from OXCE, you can find them somewhere on the forum, but they are also very small... the only one I remember is that enemies panic a bit less in large groups... which will not affect your vanilla experience, because there are no large groups in vanilla anyway.

By far the biggest non-vanilla experience is between xcom1994 and OpenXcom... OXCE and OXCE+ (without mods) are negligible in comparison.

More info: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5251.0.html
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 02:17:36 pm by Meridian »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: June 29, 2018, 02:37:10 pm »
Hello.
I have a question about forcefields.
Is it possible to use unit energy for the shield strength, as "mana shield" from diablo II or other games?

Since the shields are a script, yes it is possible for energy to be used to fuel them, it would just require replacing the logic in the ruleset file that deals with the shields' HP and substitute in checking/setting unit energy.

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: June 29, 2018, 03:02:26 pm »
Meridian, Thanks for the reply.

Another question. I hung up the missile launcher on the Sectopod, and on the Cyberdisc the minigun, as the second weapon. But they do not use the second weapon. In weapons 1 shooting mode - aiming in the first, automatic in the second.
1. Are there options in OXCE+ for using AI weapons? (Do not use a tourn, but use in principle)
2. And is it possible to regulate the range of shooting for the AI with different shooting modes?

P.S. Yes, and still AI does not know how to use first-aid kits, which is sad.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 03:04:44 pm by Ethereal »

Offline Player701

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: June 29, 2018, 06:45:35 pm »
More info: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5251.0.html
Yeah, read this one already, but the changelog made me worry a little. I don't mind the throwing accuracy training fix (though I don't see anything illogical in training it with throwing random stuff around either). Thank you for a clearer explanation :)

Will wait for the next version now.

BTW, how far behind the master OpenXcom branch OXCE+ is? Last time I played OXC (though it was quite a while ago) the tendency was for the latest nightlies to contain more bug fixes (though it was of course also possible that new bugs could be introduced), and I presume it is the same today. In other words: how stable is the latest release build of OXCE+?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: June 29, 2018, 07:06:15 pm »
BTW, how far behind the master OpenXcom branch OXCE+ is? Last time I played OXC (though it was quite a while ago) the tendency was for the latest nightlies to contain more bug fixes (though it was of course also possible that new bugs could be introduced), and I presume it is the same today. In other words: how stable is the latest release build of OXCE+?

2 commits behind (both only about new openxcom logo and icons)... I have cherry-picked everything else.

Offline Player701

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: June 29, 2018, 07:15:10 pm »
2 commits behind (both only about new openxcom logo and icons)... I have cherry-picked everything else.
OK, that's just awesome :) Thanks a lot!

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: June 30, 2018, 12:41:12 pm »
Meridian, Thanks for the reply.

Another question. I hung up the missile launcher on the Sectopod, and on the Cyberdisc the minigun, as the second weapon. But they do not use the second weapon. In weapons 1 shooting mode - aiming in the first, automatic in the second.
1. Are there options in OXCE+ for using AI weapons? (Do not use a tourn, but use in principle)
2. And is it possible to regulate the range of shooting for the AI with different shooting modes?

P.S. Yes, and still AI does not know how to use first-aid kits, which is sad.

There are no sophisticated modding options for AI.
Ohartenstein added something recently for using multiple weapons, or weapon ranges... here just pasting the commit message:

Basic support for limited-range weapons usage by AI

1. added global option for AI to not get stuck when trying to shoot outside of weapon's range
(OXC bug)
2. added override for option from point 1 (per unit type) to keep getting stuck
(some crazy modders want invisible short range camping and ambushing ninjas)

3. added global option to use extended fire mode choice algorithm (friendlier towards non-vanilla weapons)
(automatically includes checks to not get stuck from point 1)

Please note that units don't get stuck, but they also don't always close the distance automatically.
They still have options to decide to escape or set up ambushes.
With option from point 3 enabled, they have a "slight" bias towards closing the distance, but far from 100%

I guess he can add more details what exactly was done...

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: June 30, 2018, 02:41:55 pm »
That code only changed how the AI picks the firing mode for a particular weapon and how it decides where to move to find a good spot to fire, the choice of weapon is still the same, which in most cases means the AI only uses one ranged weapon when given two.

One way you might get around this is to make one weapon use different ammo types for different firing modes, so at long ranges they might fire an aimed shot with a rocket, but up close they use a rapid-fire plasma weapon.

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1543 on: June 30, 2018, 02:46:41 pm »
though I don't see anything illogical in training it with throwing random stuff

Because if you could train Throwing Accuracy in a few turns of throwing items, your men would max out this stat on day 1, without even leaving the base... The hangar is a suitable place for practicing throws.
If that is not illogical, what is?!

And of course there is the (most important) gameplay element: such mechanics encourage prolonging battles in order to give every soldier the time to find a safe spot and throw a few things. Which penalizes players who aren't willing to spend their playing time on activities commonly (though undeservedly) referred to as "autistic".

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: June 30, 2018, 03:02:11 pm »
One way you might get around this is to make one weapon use different ammo types for different firing modes, so at long ranges they might fire an aimed shot with a rocket, but up close they use a rapid-fire plasma weapon.

And if in additional weapons add hand-to-hand attack? Is there a chance that this weapon slot will be used to launch a rocket or a minigun queue? Terrorists use additional melee weapon of the second slot. And is there a check on "battleType:" and how does it work?

Oops. Checked-nothing came out. I'll just take your advice.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 03:50:27 pm by Ethereal »