aliens

Author Topic: Forum feedback  (Read 9939 times)

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Forum feedback
« on: July 11, 2014, 06:01:50 pm »
Okay, so I wanted to give feedback regarding the forum itself (not the project), but I failed to find an appropriate place. So I'm making a thread here. I don't won't to go ahead of myself, but perhaps it should even be stickied?

Now, for the feedback. I actually have two suggestions:

1) The links are almost the same colour as the normal text, making it difficult to spot them (at least for me). I understand it's most likely your conscious choice, but I find it rather troublesome. Perhaps the links could use some other inoffensive, but more noticeable colour, like for example this?

2) Can you please add .xls and .xlsx to accepted attachments? Since it already has .doc, I can't see why .xls would be any different, and I use it a lot for sharing notes. Now I have to zip them, which is inconvenient for everyone.

Thanks for reading this. :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 06:12:09 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Forum feedback
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 06:10:36 pm »
+1 for both

Offline Unknown Hero

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 07:09:01 pm »
Yes, but not too agree on the choice of color.
I think red grey pink would be better (for "inoffensive" color).  :D

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 07:12:03 pm »

I don't mind pink, real men wear pink. :D

EDIT: On second thought, it's rather blinding, so maybe not. :P

Offline Unknown Hero

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 07:15:01 pm »
What about a sexy muton's green.  8)

niculinux

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 07:22:44 pm »
+1 for both

Espacially the links color!

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 09:10:34 pm »
did you know that you can change the forum layout in your profile? click the "profile" link in the top bar, then look for "modify profile" --> "look and layout", where you will find "current theme: ........ (change)". I'm one of 6 (!) users using the "SMF default theme - curve", which is blueish-light and usually easier on the eyes (unless someone uses very light colors for their text...).

:)

niculinux

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 09:17:29 pm »
did you know that you can change the forum layout in your profile? click the "profile" link in the top bar, then look for "modify profile" --> "look and layout", where you will find "current theme: ........ (change)". I'm one of 6 (!) users using the "SMF default theme - curve", which is blueish-light and usually easier on the eyes (unless someone uses very light colors for their text...).

:)

Umh..thanks!! using the last profile and finally my eyes have some mercy!!

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 03:05:34 pm »
Hmmm.... Perhaps could it be the right place for YOUR red color  8)

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 09:30:04 pm »
Okay, so I wanted to give feedback regarding the forum itself (not the project), but I failed to find an appropriate place. So I'm making a thread here. I don't won't to go ahead of myself, but perhaps it should even be stickied?

Now, for the feedback. I actually have two suggestions:

1) The links are almost the same colour as the normal text, making it difficult to spot them (at least for me). I understand it's most likely your conscious choice, but I find it rather troublesome. Perhaps the links could use some other inoffensive, but more noticeable colour, like for example this?

2) Can you please add .xls and .xlsx to accepted attachments? Since it already has .doc, I can't see why .xls would be any different, and I use it a lot for sharing notes. Now I have to zip them, which is inconvenient for everyone.

Thanks for reading this. :)
1) The colors are just from a free SMF theme, I have no idea how to customize them. I'd love to replace it with something else but it's hard to find something free that fits the site and isn't blinding on the eyes though. :P If you find a better alternative feel free to let me know.

2) Fixed.

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 09:51:51 pm »
Thanks, Sup.

As for the theme, I don't really want to change it - I got used to it, and I think most other people did too. I don't really know how to change the colour, but it can't be too hard; still, any attempt to do so would require access to the forum's control panel. TLDR, too much trouble to let anyone else than you do this.

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 11:17:01 am »
1) The colors are just from a free SMF theme, I have no idea how to customize them. I'd love to replace it with something else but it's hard to find something free that fits the site and isn't blinding on the eyes though. :P If you find a better alternative feel free to let me know.
hehe, yeah, I've been looking for something for the OpenApoc forum, the one I have at the minute is okay-ish, but I'd still like a nice one.

Edit: Oh, I got mine from
https://www.colorizeit.com/browse/24/smf-20-themes.html
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:19:44 am by pmprog »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 02:58:20 am »
Thanks, Sup.

As for the theme, I don't really want to change it - I got used to it, and I think most other people did too. I don't really know how to change the colour, but it can't be too hard; still, any attempt to do so would require access to the forum's control panel. TLDR, too much trouble to let anyone else than you do this.
I'll dig around. In the meantime, I've found these other alternatives which I find have better readability while maintaining the dark feel:

https://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php?lemma=126
https://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php?lemma=2360
https://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php?lemma=2334
https://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php?lemma=2065
https://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php?lemma=2762

Let me know what you think. We've been using the same look since the site first started, a change couldn't hurt. :P
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 03:10:35 am by SupSuper »

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 03:06:23 am »
Hmm, frankly, it's hard to say anything from just one tiny pic. Except the Skyfall, which looks like someone puked on the screen.

If you really want to change the entire theme, well, I'll miss the current one. (I just wanted more visible links dammit! :( ). But if that's your decision, I'll happily give you a review, but I really need more material to judge from. (Except for the Skyfall, which looks like someone puked on the screen.)

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 03:12:35 am »
Hmm, frankly, it's hard to say anything from just one tiny pic. Except the Skyfall, which looks like someone puked on the screen.

If you really want to change the entire theme, well, I'll miss the current one. (I just wanted more visible links dammit! :( ). But if that's your decision, I'll happily give you a review, but I really need more material to judge from. (Except for the Skyfall, which looks like someone puked on the screen.)
Most themes have a "demo" link at the bottom, and screenshots can be clicked (and Skyfall's background is customizable).
The current theme will remain (I know people eventually get nostalgic about the silliest things :P), it just might not be the default anymore.