aliens

Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1623929 times)

Offline TheProfessional

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: [COMPILATION][RESEARCH] Final Mod Pack (FMP)
« Reply #2130 on: March 03, 2016, 02:05:55 pm »
Hello there, i just had some really nice playing time with your mod pack and after having some ideas, i wanted to openly ask something:

Could i use your framework and your mod compiliation as a base for another overhaul, if i link to your mod and credit you? (Ill obviously give all the other mod authors their credit too.)
If you are interested in what i want to do: I want to create a experience that is different in a way that you have significantly less money and heavy weaponry available at the start, as well as a bigger shortage of materials and more steep step-for-step like progression in research. Then in the Battlescape i will also overhaul the game to give you less, stronger and more expensive agents with more unique equipment sets, while also increasing alien numbers and decreasing their strength because the maps always feel so empty to me.

I'd be very happy if you allow this to me and maybe even give me some tips on how to do some stuff? Thanks already!

Greetings from Germany, TheProfessional

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2131 on: March 03, 2016, 02:20:13 pm »
Hello The Professional,

Yes, absolutely - go for it. Most of my resources are taken from other people anyway, so I don't have the moral right to hoard them even if I wanted to. :)

BTW I'm kind of doing something similar with my next project, The X-Com Files, where you start at the Mulder & Scully stage (handguns, cars and leather coats) and slowly build up from there. But it's unlikely we'll do it in a similar way, and furthermore we can exchange resources further if we both go far enough.

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: March 03, 2016, 02:37:00 pm »
Yeah, though I really don't know what to do with this. Especially since it's the first time I've seen it. Some help would be greatly appreciated, everyone.
Your best bet will probably passing it on to a OXCE dev (although i believe thats something you've already came up with ;))

Something different then.
For the next version of FMP could you consider using TFTD style clip loadouts for the HWP minigun. So a player won' t need to purchase 200 separate shots, when 10 autoshot bundles suffice.
E.g. something like
Code: [Select]
- type: STR_TANK_MINIGUN
  clipSize: 200   # Add this line

- type: STR_HWP_MINIGUN_CLIP
  size: 0.01   # Was 0.001
  costBuy: 400   # Was 40
  costSell: 300   #  Was 30
  weight: 10  # Was 1
  clipSize: 20 # Was 200

It would impact current games (e.g. free ammo) but it seems much friendlier to a player. It does need a nightly from 16-11-2015 (de7a9e26) or later though.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: March 03, 2016, 02:57:16 pm »
Thanks R1dO, I had no idea this change was finally introduced.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2134 on: March 03, 2016, 06:51:45 pm »
BTW I'm kind of doing something similar with my next project, The X-Com Files, where you start at the Mulder & Scully stage (handguns, cars and leather coats) and slowly build up suffer from there. But it's unlikely we'll do it in a similar way, and furthermore we can exchange resources further if we both go far enough.

Here fixed it for you :)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #2135 on: March 03, 2016, 07:23:26 pm »
hi Solarius,
attached zip contains 124 Darkened UFO Maps, including all vanilla ship variants, also the battleships, and the Ufo from SolarsNewUfo Mod (Fighters, Sentries, Excavators and Labships) in their darkened Variants. Also included Ruleset example file and needed modified terrain files.

HF useing them if you like, if possible give credit :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: March 03, 2016, 07:29:20 pm »
Here fixed it for you :)

Now, regarding the FMP: Version 1.9 has been uploaded.

Since the mod portal is now definitely dead (I mean you can't upload anything), I'm putting the file on Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cyotjlgz2aquak0/Final_Mod_Pack_1.9.zip?dl=0

Changelog:
  • New Cerebreal sprites.
  • New Salamandron corpse floorob.
  • New sprites for Chtonites too, since I'm getting rid of all TFTD sprites (Chtonite corpse made by Bloax, cheers).
  • Chtonite terror units are Silacoids now, since I never really liked Tunluns and Silacoids fit this race perfectly.
  • Personal Armour takes longer to build and is more expensive.
  • Basescape palette fixes.
  • Advanced X-Com craft repair is faster.
  • New Battleship maps, by Cooper.
  • Streamlined Farm terrain.
  • Fixed one Forest Mountain map block (mountain cave with impassable entrance).
  • Light Machine Gun Clip size increased from 30 to 40.
  • Changed how Tank/Minigun ammo is handled.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #2137 on: March 03, 2016, 09:04:48 pm »

Now, regarding the FMP: Version 1.9 has been uploaded.

Since the mod portal is now definitely dead (I mean you can't upload anything), I'm putting the file on Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cyotjlgz2aquak0/Final_Mod_Pack_1.9.zip?dl=0

Changelog:
  • New Cerebreal sprites.
  • New Salamandron corpse floorob.
  • New sprites for Chtonites too, since I'm getting rid of all TFTD sprites (Chtonite corpse made by Bloax, cheers).
  • Chtonite terror units are Silacoids now, since I never really liked Tunluns and Silacoids fit this race perfectly.
  • Personal Armour takes longer to build and is more expensive.
  • Basescape palette fixes.
  • Advanced X-Com craft repair is faster.
  • New Battleship maps, by Cooper.
  • Streamlined Farm terrain.
  • Fixed one Forest Mountain map block (mountain cave with impassable entrance).
  • Light Machine Gun Clip size increased from 30 to 40.
  • Changed how Tank/Minigun ammo is handled.

Did you already incorporate the new UFO Maps? If so, damn that was quick.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: March 03, 2016, 09:15:21 pm »
Did you already incorporate the new UFO Maps? If so, damn that was quick.

Oh no, mostly scraps from the new mod and bugfixes. Frankly I don't have the time now, too much other critical modder work. But I'll get there.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #2139 on: March 03, 2016, 09:21:27 pm »
Oh no, mostly scraps from the new mod and bugfixes. Frankly I don't have the time now, too much other critical modder work. But I'll get there.

Oh ok, nevermind i posted them here as i said on the IRC, HF with them once you find time.

Offline TheProfessional

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: March 04, 2016, 03:54:04 pm »
Hello there, its me again, with a question:

In which way are the different weapon techs, (so Laser, Gauss, Nuc. Laser, Rail and Plasma) and the different armors balanced? Did you tier them in a certain way?

Also, this doesn't really belong here, but since i am new: Where would i post to get help with/request sprites?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: March 04, 2016, 06:51:17 pm »
In which way are the different weapon techs, (so Laser, Gauss, Nuc. Laser, Rail and Plasma) and the different armors balanced? Did you tier them in a certain way?

It's a complex question. It would be easiest if you have a look at Meridian's FMP Tech Tree that is bundled with the mod - look for a file named FMP_Tech_Tree_by_Meridian.png.

But to sum it up briefly:
Weapons: first you have normal firearms, then firearms with alien alloy bullets, then gauss and lasers, then railguns and plasma.
Armour: First you get Earth armours (combat armour, hazmat), then alloy armour (alloy vest, personal armour), and then powered armour (power suit, juggernaut suit). Each tier also have a flying variant, like flying suit to power suit. There are also other, more specialized armours, like toxi-suit or synthsuit.

Also, this doesn't really belong here, but since i am new: Where would i post to get help with/request sprites?

You can either do it here if it's not too much, or send me a private message. Or you can write me an e-mail, that would probably be best; I'll send you my address via the PM.

Offline TheProfessional

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: March 04, 2016, 09:57:01 pm »
Do you mean that you would actually be doing sprites? Because i meant more like where i should create a thread for spriting requests.

Anyways, there was one thing that hindered me. I tried to add in a new weapon, Fusion Rifle, it all worked out perfectly, and then i tried adding sprites to it. Just a recolor of the Rail Rifle that looks like this:

When i looked in game though, it suddenly looked all screwed up.

Do you know why this is? I honestly have no idea, i am worried that it is becauser i used Paint.net or something though.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: March 04, 2016, 10:15:43 pm »
Do you mean that you would actually be doing sprites? Because i meant more like where i should create a thread for spriting requests.

We'll see when there are resources to share. :)

Anyways, there was one thing that hindered me. I tried to add in a new weapon, Fusion Rifle, it all worked out perfectly, and then i tried adding sprites to it. Just a recolor of the Rail Rifle that looks like this:

When i looked in game though, it suddenly looked all screwed up.

Do you know why this is? I honestly have no idea, i am worried that it is becauser i used Paint.net or something though.

X-Com has a fixed palette. See the zip I attached (for Photoshop, no idea if Paint.net will read it):
Battle.act: Used for files that only appear in battlescape, like maps, unit sprites or floor objects.
Paleta.act: Use it for things that appear both in battlescape and geoscape, like the one you're trying (mostly bigobs, because they are used in inventory as well as the Ufopedia).
Ufo-research.act: Used for big Ufopaedia articles, like autopsies.
Basebits.act: Used for the base screen (facilities, aircraft).
Interwin.act and Inticon.act: Used for aircraft in the interception screen.

Offline NotCIAAgent

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: March 05, 2016, 02:44:14 am »
Got a bit of feedback regarding Psionics and Gazers.

Psi Amp's costs are at fixed 25 tu, both Mind Control and Panic. I assume those are the vanilla costs. However, if I get a high tu (veteran) unit and put them on the Synth Suit (+20 tus), I can get up to 100 tus, which means 4 Mind Controls. On a high strength/skill soldier (over 80 strength, over 50 skill), that means 4 aliens controlled each turn. The 4 psionic soldiers in my ship made every single other soldier completely obsolete, as dogs are better scouts. Not complaining. But that might affect the balance you seek for the mod.

Gazers are, I suppose, a mid game combat race. They got a reasonable armor (can be pierced by focused Gauss fire, though) which makes them challenging, but I find their health pool a tad bit excessive, as they more often than not shrug off High Explosives direct blasts with over half their health. In other words, they are just too tough, even against plasma. So maybe taking out 20 life points or something like that from the base stats would be nice?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 03:10:55 am by NotCIAAgent »