aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N8 28-Apr-2024 Labyrinthus Noctis  (Read 3749962 times)

Offline Quanti

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.97C - 15 Jan - Privatizing World Peace
« Reply #1890 on: January 22, 2016, 09:46:52 am »
Hi there, loving the mod so far just have a research problem currently going after that mysterious higher learning tech.

I've spent about half a year in game trying to find the persons or items needed to unlock it, even came on here and found out about and acquired mag containment. Eventually I gave up and learnt how to raid the rulesets for information on what I was missing and it turns out the only thing I didn't have on that list was plastasteel manufacturing, which I didn't have because I haven't researched commercial activities. (Coincidentally I don't have any of those activities tech). I have all the mission types and techs listed as requirements, but it says that there is an item needed to research it.

So what I want to know is: what is this item/person needed to research commercial activities if there's supposed to be one?

I thought about setting needitem to false but if there was just something i was missing then ill just keep going. Currently going around taking everything I can think of hostage to no avail. Just missing this and the star god key to reach the finale. As soon as I get the prerequisites for higher learning and the commander I haven't managed to coax out yet I'll be able to finish my first game. :)

Edit: The only other missions I've seen dark ones run is retaliation and land based pogroms. They use different ships and enemies in those.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 09:51:06 am by Quanti »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1891 on: January 22, 2016, 10:36:58 am »
I thought about setting needitem to false but if there was just something i was missing then ill just keep going.

Yup that's the bug. The needItem: true lines are erroneous there.

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: January 22, 2016, 11:54:15 am »
I've only seen the DOOM monsters in missions those probes lead to. Do they actually fly ships or do any missions besides those?

I normally encounter them in pogroms.

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: January 22, 2016, 03:07:25 pm »
I've only seen the DOOM monsters in missions those probes lead to. Do they actually fly ships or do any missions besides those?
Suprisingly they do have fighters to do crackdowns even if they dont have any ships at all.In base defense you face barons of hell and as far as im aware of there are no cyberdemons or masterminds.

Offline Quanti

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: January 22, 2016, 04:33:27 pm »
Yup that's the bug. The needItem: true lines are erroneous there.
Yep that's opened up a whole pile of new research to do, thanks.

Offline Absle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: January 22, 2016, 09:21:41 pm »
Hey! I'm new to the forum, but I've been lurking the mods page for a few years now. I finally decided to play X-Piratez last week, and it's awesome. Would this thread be an appropriate place to leave some thoughts on the project so far? Or is there a true discussion/suggestion thread somewhere that I haven't found yet?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1896 on: January 23, 2016, 12:16:22 am »
It is the best place for it. Fire away.

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: January 23, 2016, 12:37:04 am »
I am just wondering about smugglers' courier runs - are these supposed not to land?

Offline Absle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: January 23, 2016, 08:29:43 am »
Thanks Dioxine! Again, love the mod. It's hard, it's fun, and just has a really good feel to it. I have a few specific things I had some thoughts on, and keep in mind I'm only in my first playthrough at the mid-level difficulty, so a lot of this stuff may be wrong or ignorant.

1) Resources: I'm not sure if this is different at Jack Sparrow difficulty, or maybe it gets harder later on, but the game really loses that dystopian-lack-of-resources edge very quickly. So far I've never been exactly rolling in it, but after the first mission or two I've never felt like I needed to be shy about buying whatever I wanted off the blackmarket either. But this is just atmosphere, and you shouldn't sacrifice gameplay for it.

2) Pogroms: I love these so much. Love them so much that I despise them. I love how hard and tense they can be, and how protecting civilians is important enough that you can't just level the map to protect your soldiers. I don't necessarily agree with how it's implemented in the strategic layer, however. You're a band of pirates (essentially well funded raiders with a sweet base and ship), certainly you can be the world's mutant police force if you want to be, but the game is set up to punish you for just being a pirate and focusing on making money and attacking targets of opportunity. Pogroms have obviously been part of the mutants' reality for a while, why does the Mutant Alliance suddenly expect you to be willing to jump to any part of the world at any time? You could make the argument that they're at least aware of you, and therefore would ask you for assistance with local pogroms, but I shouldn't be expected to care about what's happening in N.America when I'm an opportunist operating in Europe.
     Perhaps this could be simulated by only having negative effects from pogroms that are on the same continent as one of your bases (even if you totally ignore them), but a huge increase in rewards for dealing with them anyway. Maybe the same sort of set up, but instead with exponential differences across distance from your nearest base. This way, there's a more tangible cost to building a wide network of bases: you have to take on more responsibilities with the locals as you network with them.

3) Base Defense: These are also mostly perfect, I just thought of a tweak for them strategically. I thought that it might make more sense for the AI to become less and less likely to assault your base each time you successfully defend it, sorta representing the heads around Earth thinking, "that didn't work so well last time, why do it again?" If I remember correctly, the severity of the base assault scales with score and time. This means that you could purposely be more bloodthirsty (by shooting down ships) in the beginning of the game at the expense of profits and having to risk early base assaults; however, if you manage to defeat several of these, it might make your overall campaign easier by making later, more difficult base assaults less likely.

4) Alliance Advisors: how do these guys work? Like i see the scanning doohickey and the medkit in their weapons slots, but the Bootypedia also suggest that they're packing some voodoo that I can't figure out how to use. Actually, how does voodoo in general work in this mod?

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: January 23, 2016, 10:49:56 am »
Voodoo is basicaly psi with more flavor text.The advisors have high voodoo power which makes them resistant to mind control so that you dont put them in battle to be mind controll foders like friendly mercenary commandos.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1900 on: January 23, 2016, 01:09:26 pm »
1) Resource scarcity. Wrong type of dystopia. It's not a world which has no resources; it is a world with big differences between rich and poor. Resources are very scarce... for poor people. And you start off as a rich and connected person, however you look at it.

2) Score, Pogroms, Crackdowns: These are good ideas but I cannot change such core game concepts even if I wanted. It'd be *possible* to do it more along the lines you've proposed, yes, but then I'd have nothing to replace these mechanics with and keep the player challenged. So yeah the core game mechanics basically force you to be at least part-time revolutionary, so I went this way with all the story. At least you have choice between part-time and full-time now...

Also:
The Mutant Alliance, just like all world powers, is acutely aware of your presence from Day 1. You can't just ignore a powerful group with access to Cloaking Devices (nobody knows where are you getting them from!). So they immediately want to know, are you useful to them? I agree you could play for the other team too, let's say, taking orders from the Guild to do a Pogrom yourself for a load of cash, why not. But you have no such options since only death lies that way (either they eventually get rid of you, or you become a part of them). And for all Guild has, they don't have the Cloaking Devices. I will try to implement some of that... later.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 01:20:46 pm by Dioxine »

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: January 23, 2016, 01:18:42 pm »
I managed to detect a star god throught the line of sight bug.I believe that wasnt intentional.
https://imgur.com/wbaabOB

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: January 23, 2016, 03:36:14 pm »
Gone into advanced weapons. So built stuff like Kustom Blunderbuss, Gyro Autogun. I am hoping those are not all as I am yet to achieve laser ability although I did get something similar.

Well Dec 2601 - and we are managing to survive. Of course we avoid all mentions of Star God.

Offline Galwail

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: January 23, 2016, 03:53:41 pm »
Is it normal, that I get intact armors from some missions? I got two suites of the sweet Assassin Armor in the first months, now I see I got four Defenders, twelve Guerrilla Armors and a bunch of upgraded Tac Armors from some other missions. None of those have been researched, yet I can use them and they are a quite an upgrade over basic armors.

Also I can manufacture something called Basic Armor, but I can't equip it and I don't have it in the Bootypedia either.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1904 on: January 23, 2016, 04:08:35 pm »
If you loot an intact suit of armor from a mission, you can use it normally, but not research them - until you have the prerequisites to produce your own. Actually if you scoured the map for items, you'd notice the armor suits you found lying on the ground (or, actually, in the crates) :)

Basic armor so far allows to equip only a single kind of armor, called WARRIOR armor. In the future, it will give several options to choose from, hence the generalized name.