Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N8 28-Apr-2024 Labyrinthus Noctis  (Read 3710085 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99B - 18 Aug - Sky's The Limit
« Reply #3165 on: August 20, 2016, 03:34:55 pm »
Do you still lose for two months of negative score? I finally started a run on 99b and while the early game feels great now, without weapons on the airbus completing only ground missions and the occasional landed shipping doesn't come close to offsetting the score loss over the course of the month. Even winning the pogrom, which I didn't,  wouldn't have gotten me to zero.

You can easily offset that with research. I was afraid of such issues, but in my current test playthrough I was getting constant 500+ score in early months, despite bagging only 1-2 missions monthly and not doing Pogroms.
And yes, you naturally lose for constant negative score/negative money. No point in prologing the agony, is there any?

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #3166 on: August 20, 2016, 06:09:02 pm »
Do you still lose for two months of negative score? I finally started a run on 99b and while the early game feels great now, without weapons on the airbus completing only ground missions and the occasional landed shipping doesn't come close to offsetting the score loss over the course of the month. Even winning the pogrom, which I didn't,  wouldn't have gotten me to zero.

I did some testing too with the early game, and I think that one of the most viable start strategies is to sell the Airbus at the start and buy an Aircar immediately.  Mount the Charger Laser on it and start raiding Civilian Shipping.  The loot and score from these small missions give you the boost at the start that you need.  The challenge is only 4 gals makes for more of them getting wounded in even simple missions, so the turn over in hands starts to become a factor.  After a couple months though, you can buy back the Airbus, and missions become marginally safer.  If given the opportunity, the Pachyderm is a better choice than the Airbus all the time, but even Airbus to Pachyderm is probably very viable.

Offline Devon_v

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: August 20, 2016, 06:12:50 pm »
You can easily offset that with research. I was afraid of such issues, but in my current test playthrough I was getting constant 500+ score in early months, despite bagging only 1-2 missions monthly and not doing Pogroms.
And yes, you naturally lose for constant negative score/negative money. No point in prologing the agony, is there any?

I'm not sure if the RNG is trolling me or what, but I did every mission available to me in January, completed all but one Ratman Rodeo (I did kill a bunch of them and take loot home), researched a bunch of stuff (which I do recall being worth a lot of points in earlier versions) and even landed at the pogrom and shot a few guys until the tank showed up. I was at around -300 before the pogrom, and after research bonus I was still -250 in the hole at the end of the month. Then something in the first week of February knocked me down to -200 right off the bat.

The charts indicate quite a bit of shipping activity in areas I can't see, but the score penalties seem unusually high. About 95% of shipping that I could see was civilian and never landed. The rest were larges that outran the airbus and went about their business.

I'll reinstall when I get home, maybe I copied the wrong UFO files.

@ivan: I have no option to buy any craft. Maybe that's an issue in and of itself.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3168 on: August 20, 2016, 06:15:11 pm »
@ivan: I have no option to buy any craft. Maybe that's an issue in and of itself.

Now it requires some research: Cunning -> Contact: Car Thieves. Obtainable fast if you go for it right away.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: August 20, 2016, 06:17:39 pm »
Another thing: until you research "contacts: mutant alliance", pogroms do not carry a penalty for not showing up. By showing up without winning, all you did is provide yourself as a scapegoat to blame the deaths of all those civilians on. That probably messed you up more than anything else.

Offline Devon_v

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: August 20, 2016, 06:52:55 pm »
Another thing: until you research "contacts: mutant alliance", pogroms do not carry a penalty for not showing up. By showing up without winning, all you did is provide yourself as a scapegoat to blame the deaths of all those civilians on. That probably messed you up more than anything else.
This more than anything then. I'm used to the older versions where you start as a member.

And Cunning is the one thing I still haven't done from the initial research.  :)

I should start over then. I got a pretty crappy starting six anyway.

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: August 20, 2016, 08:02:16 pm »
Dioxine,

I started playing this mod and love it. It is so ridiculous in a good way. I absolutely love the hardscrabble nature where there is basically no uniformity of equipment because you are just taking what you can get.

I won the mutant pogram in the first month by blind luck by being parasitic and one dude had a laser LMG that I used to set up a machinegun nest and cooked a ton of dudes with it. I robbed the shit out of so many researchers.

anyways,

have a good one

-HH

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3172 on: August 20, 2016, 08:55:43 pm »
Thank you. Looks like you know what to do, good luck then! The moments of sheer excitement are what I like about it.

Offline Devon_v

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: August 21, 2016, 01:13:27 am »
Yeah, the RNG was trolling me. Now I have 600 points halfway through January, real handguns for all my gals almost immediately, several shotguns, and I just raided the Temple of Sirius (now that brings back memories) so I'm month one rich.

Offline LexThorn

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: August 21, 2016, 10:04:23 am »

Meridian once said, that he know way to make score "strike" optional (https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4466.15.html) . Maybe it is time to add this option to mod options? And loose only in case of bankruptcy OR loosing last base if option is enabled?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 10:13:25 am by LexThorn »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: August 21, 2016, 10:54:51 am »
Meridian once said, that he know way to make score "strike" optional (https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4466.15.html) . Maybe it is time to add this option to mod options? And loose only in case of bankruptcy OR loosing last base if option is enabled?

It has been implemented in vanilla already, we're waiting for merge now.

Offline LexThorn

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: August 21, 2016, 11:25:19 am »
It has been implemented in vanilla already, we're waiting for merge now.

Awesome! Tanx, dude. Long waited for this feature!

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3177 on: August 21, 2016, 12:25:35 pm »
You won't make this a sandbox game by simply removing the possibility of losing.

Offline LexThorn

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: August 21, 2016, 01:01:07 pm »
You won't make this a sandbox game by simply removing the possibility of losing.

No, no sandboxes. I just personally don't like score system, score strike to be exact. If all communities no longer pay you you yet can survive by own profits. That`s idea. And - if you lost all bases - you lost. automatic wipe with military assault is silly. Our babes is owning HIDEOUTS. They not telling anyone where they are. Nobody will assault something if they have no coordinates.   

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3179 on: August 21, 2016, 01:18:01 pm »
And - if you lost all bases - you lost.

This never happens, that's the problem.