Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N8 28-Apr-2024 Labyrinthus Noctis  (Read 3710265 times)

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99A.1 - 31 Jul - Magical Commendations
« Reply #2985 on: August 02, 2016, 03:41:20 am »
I just wanted to say that an early pogrom without light sources or good weapons is absolutely terrifying. And I'm really not good enough for the more difficult settings, so it's on easy.  :)

Incidentally, is it odd that on the map those you want to shoot are blue squares while those you don't are red?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 03:46:24 am by khade »

Offline BetaSpectre

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: August 02, 2016, 04:24:03 am »
I just wanted to say that an early pogrom without light sources or good weapons is absolutely terrifying. And I'm really not good enough for the more difficult settings, so it's on easy.  :)

Incidentally, is it odd that on the map those you want to shoot are blue squares while those you don't are red?
You can force any terror mission to be day time, but I think if I tell you how to do that even on hardmode it'd take away the fun. All you need are powder black bombs or pauserfausts stuff you can buy soon from the black market for most any pogrom anyway. Etherals and Mercs are my most dreaded missions. Etherals are invisible, and can't be shot, though use of detectors and nades fixes that. Mercs are invulnerable to my small arms, and I usually don't deck out in laser/gauss/plasma for a while.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: August 02, 2016, 04:27:05 am »
It was just Humanists, but I'm talking first month, just because I needed the resources.  Night missions are now fun, though unnerving.

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: August 02, 2016, 07:28:46 am »
Well I could consider returning the 2x3 backpack for the cost of 2 belt slots, maybe... I need to think it over, backpack space really hurts while some belt slots are just, meh, whatever. And it was meant to hurt as the armor was just a little too good.

The increase in weight (of an already heavy armour) and loss of leg slots I think are enough.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 07:38:24 am by Surrealistik »

Offline BetaSpectre

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: August 02, 2016, 10:12:25 am »
It was just Humanists, but I'm talking first month, just because I needed the resources.  Night missions are now fun, though unnerving.
Muskets and carbines are all you need for humanists, the laser guns from the humanists were used once to take out some mercs on one of my easy missions. A gal would full auto drop the gun, then another gal, rinse and repeat. This was a few updates ago when it was possible to do this.

IMO always keep grenades handy. For things like lobstermen if you have enough rifles/cheap ammo to do suppressing fire you only need one grenade to kill each lobsterman since it causes bleed damage.

I tend to shy away from melee, and bows but they're useful implements as well. I literally never change my tactics rifle, grenade, bandage/drink, smoke, electroflare.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2990 on: August 02, 2016, 12:24:03 pm »
The increase in weight (of an already heavy armour) and loss of leg slots I think are enough.

OK, returning to 2x3 backpack, I was thinking the same as you originally (man I need to have place for that Bardiche on my back!), and overnerfed. Still I'm taking away 2 of 6 belt slots, as there should be a meaningful carrying space downgrade in from Chainmail. Wt increase is minor, and even with the Tower Shield, the full rig takes only half capacity from a maxed-out soldier (and, to be frank, the Tower Shield by itself is formidable enough to serve as the main weapon...)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: August 02, 2016, 08:36:34 pm »
Eh.. For frontline troopers (like plate is intended to be, being a tank), I value belt slots a lot more. My frontline soldiers usually juggle two weapons and throwables or utility items. This means freeing a hand and the ideal place to do that is on the belt or quickdraw. I don't juggle with stuff in the backpack as the TU cost is far too high for that. You can fit all kinds of swords (except Fuso) and maces in a 1x3 slot, which is plenty to use with the shield (since you don't have to carry a stun weapon).

I could see a buff to the backpack for the non-shielded armor (so you can carry a bardiche/fuso sword/spear: since you aren't using a shield, might as well use a 2h weapon), but with the shield, you should be using a 1h weapon and for that, the 1x3 weapons are fine. Doing this, I'd say you don't need to nerf the belt either. You either have "utility plate" or "tanky plate".

Offline Surrealistik

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: August 02, 2016, 08:38:13 pm »
Eh.. For frontline troopers (like plate is intended to be, being a tank), I value belt slots a lot more. My frontline soldiers usually juggle two weapons and throwables or utility items. This means freeing a hand and the ideal place to do that is on the belt or quickdraw. I don't juggle with stuff in the backpack as the TU cost is far too high for that. You can fit all kinds of swords (except Fuso) and maces in a 1x3 slot, which is plenty to use with the shield (since you don't have to carry a stun weapon).

I could see a buff to the backpack for the non-shielded armor (so you can carry a bardiche/fuso sword/spear: since you aren't using a shield, might as well use a 2h weapon), but with the shield, you should be using a 1h weapon and for that, the 1x3 weapons are fine. Doing this, I'd say you don't need to nerf the belt either. You either have "utility plate" or "tanky plate".

Exactly; the belt slots are extremely valuable. I'd be okay with this compromise.

niculinux

« Reply #2993 on: August 02, 2016, 09:10:15 pm »
Agree on that 8)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #2994 on: August 03, 2016, 12:29:06 am »
Hey Dioxine, I'm looking at the fairy armor for the wiki.

I found something that I don't understand ( which is no great surprise. ;) )

The lang.rul entry states:

" ....Such symbiosis requires base VooDoo Power of 40 or more, else the Hand will take constant Stun damage...."

Yet the formula for the stun modifier is:
Code: [Select]
     stun:
        psiStrength: 1.0
        flatHundred: -0.70

Wouldn't this be (40) -70? 
There is probably a standard stun recovery mechanic in the back ground that I'm missing.  Anyway to un-fuzzle me?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: August 03, 2016, 01:04:42 am »
Hey Ivan, the armor gives a +30(!) boost to VooDoo Power, so having a gal with 40 means she restores 1.0*(40+30)-70 stun per turn - this goes negative for values under 40.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #2996 on: August 03, 2016, 01:07:50 am »
Hey Ivan, the armor gives a +30(!) boost to VooDoo Power, so having a gal with 40 means she restores 1.0*(40+30)-70 stun per turn - this goes negative for values under 40.
Heh! It sure does! Thanks for helping me wrap my brain around that!

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2997 on: August 03, 2016, 01:44:08 am »

You'll still have 6 belt slots (4 belt, 2 QD). Yes I know how valuable belt space is, that's why it's a bit nerfed :) I agree that such layout is suboptimal for shielded plate mail, but you have the fucking shield, son! :) Since I decided not to reduce plate availability in any significant amount, it has to have serious shortcomings. Also... With 120+ Melee, which plate-mail troops often have, there is no real problem in wielding Bardiche, despite the penalty.
Anyway Plate Mail is supposed to be focused armor (hence over the top stats), not utility armor (utility armors usually have so-so stats).

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #2998 on: August 03, 2016, 01:47:00 am »
Speaking of Plate Mail:
the lang.rul ufopedia entry is incorrectly reporting the number of inventory slots.  Just something to fix whenever you push out the re-worked plate. :)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2999 on: August 03, 2016, 02:13:54 am »
Seriously?  This just went from an ok-ish early piece of equipment to absolutely worthless, imo.

Remember than Beer or Rum no longer replenishes Stun. Sure, it's not that important ATM (small medkits to the rescue!), but this was made in mind with the future things to come (desert and jungle missions will be putting a lot of Stun on your troops, especially in heavy armor, so it will come very handy; likewise, arctic missions will deplete Energy really fast if your soldiers aren't properly clothed).

Regarding your question about the new Seductress; keep testing, maybe it's not balanced properly. Keep in mind that you have to win a Psi attempt now for it to work, so you need a solid VooDoo Skill. Also it works really poorly at distances over 10, 15 tiles.