aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N8 28-Apr-2024 Labyrinthus Noctis  (Read 3710805 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.95C - 29 Oct - Interfaces & Critical Fixes
« Reply #1335 on: November 12, 2015, 07:16:29 pm »
1) Exactly how effective are flasks of acid? I know they're good vs. armor, and it says they do 40 acid damage, but also that they do 0-16 initial armor damage. So do they only damage armor or can they actually kill? I tried using some on cyberdiscs, but i don't know how much they helped. My flamethrower did rape them real good though!

2) The poisoned dagger should be superior to the previous daggers, yet it has a much worse accuracy. Therefore i'm guessing that the bonus 'health damage' is worth it, but how exactly does it work?

3) As i mentioned, i have been shown the path to anti-armor enlightenment by thou holy thrower of flames, but are other incendiary sources that effective as well? I know that the willie pete says it does initial damage, but what about good ol' molotovs?

1. Where does it say they're non-lethal? :) This 0-16 armor damage is *in addition* to all normal acid effects, eg. if it penetrates armor, it does damage HP and it does further armor damage.

2. It doubles the HP damage inflicted after penetrating armor, is it good enough? You decide.

3. No, Molotov is just normal incendiary, causing 5-10 points of damage to a normal target (just like a single flamer hit). However it sets targets on fire, has devastating morale effect, and does quad damage vs. 2x2 units. Note that there are enemies who are well-armored but have a single digit HP pool...

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: November 12, 2015, 08:57:27 pm »
1 - I haven't tried the flasks. Originally they seemed like a good idea for up close encounter with armored stuff, but then melee is a pretty good answer too :/ I haven't used them much, but I guess if you encounter something that has really high armor and is hard to deal with (like stunning an academy provost, what a PAIN), you could use 'em to reduce their armor rating (and likely won't hurt them since the damage is pretty low). A 3x3 splash with half damage on everything but the centre might make it a bit nicer as it would deal with the accuracy issue a bit?

(Oh, and please refrain from "raping" cyberdiscs or other enemies, regardless of implements and gaming connotation, it's really not a nice thing to do)

2 - For a weak fighty gal it might work, but then, you can also use a rapier which is more likely to work, but that's a nice belt-sized alternative, I guess.

3 - Molotovs can be awesome against those annoying little drones from the academy. Really hard to damage, but fall from a single incendiary hit.

Offline Foxhound634

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: November 13, 2015, 12:25:06 am »
(Oh, and please refrain from "raping" cyberdiscs or other enemies, regardless of implements and gaming connotation, it's really not a nice thing to do)

Well sure it's not, but then again, i'm able to distinguish between actual rape and gaming lingo. I've also never believed that wrapping the language in cotton candy would actually help people such as rape victims to overcome their trauma. But i'll indulge as a courtesy to my fellow piratez :)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: November 13, 2015, 12:35:11 am »
I'm sure you can, but I don't know why, maybe it's a second language thing, or maybe it's just me (and no, I have no particular relationship to that), but I have a hard time looking past the primordial meaning to consider it something acceptable.

Thanks for destroying/annihilating/stabbing/murderising/smashing/blowing up, or doing other such nice ( ::)) things to your targets from now on ;)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1339 on: November 13, 2015, 08:41:28 am »
Well sure it's not, but then again, i'm able to distinguish between actual rape and gaming lingo. I've also never believed that wrapping the language in cotton candy would actually help people such as rape victims to overcome their trauma. But i'll indulge as a courtesy to my fellow piratez :)

Arthanor probably just pointed out that describing war violence in sexual violence terms is just a full-on plebeian thing to do, which I happen to agree with. The term would be correct only if applied to psionics and Chryssalids :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 12:32:50 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: November 13, 2015, 09:48:12 am »

Rly? These cyberdisc are begging for it!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1341 on: November 13, 2015, 12:30:53 pm »
Rly? These cyberdisc are begging for it!

Pity X-Com 1 had no heavy thermal lances to satisfy their needs.

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: November 13, 2015, 03:05:18 pm »
Come on dont get frisky,we have a whole game here for these things.

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Steam: DracoGriffin
« Reply #1343 on: November 13, 2015, 06:00:44 pm »
Hey Dioxine,

I'm noticing on my 0.95C stream playthrough that I'm able to see into ships/UFOs at certain angles, whereas I wasn't able to before (at least in 0.93 dedicated testing).

Just FYI, no screenshots or anything since I was streaming; I think Cutter/Runabout mostly so far.

Offline Roxis231

• Colonel
  • Catching the feral kitten hiding in my rubish bin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: November 13, 2015, 08:20:27 pm »
Hey Dioxine,

I'm noticing on my 0.95C stream playthrough that I'm able to see into ships/UFOs at certain angles, whereas I wasn't able to before (at least in 0.93 dedicated testing).

Just FYI, no screenshots or anything since I was streaming; I think Cutter/Runabout mostly so far.

I've had this happen too, I thought it was related to useing Luke's Dark UFO's Mod.

ps: It seems to happen more often when an ships reactor explodes.  My personal thoughts on this is that the explosion is destroying the pillars that were used to fix the holes between the wall sprites.

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: November 14, 2015, 01:21:36 am »
That would be nice! It would make crafting "rare" armors more rewarding. Especially ones needing power armor parts, since those are not very common (I've had a grand total of.. 7 in a year? research + 1 juggernaut + 1 loader + 1).

In my first mission with the juggernaut, I used it to shield the gals with less armor, and promptly got it gauss'd out. >:( I gave in and "rage-restarted" so I could play with my new toy, only juggernaut I've been able to make ever since! (and the other gals are all grateful to Charmin' Rin and Boltgun for taking all the hits for 'em, especially the gauss hits!)

From my recent campaign, my thoughts on armor (and other things) are:

Spoiler:
IMHO the only armor that matters is the Annihilator, which is essentially immune to laser and Gauss pistol, and all projectile guns. Gauss musket, plasma and above can cause a severe injury or even death to the wearer. From terror units, the cyberdisk, sectopod and celatid are deadly too. Of course researching (and making) this armor is pretty much the end of the research tree.  Any other armor or no armor require tactics (cover, hiding, mass fire, smoke, etc) as any hit from pretty much any gun can be deadly. I also avoided using explosives when possible as it destroys the loot :)

I never bothered making other armors (except for testing), with the rare exception of the Xeno armor (good on meele, for the strong gals) and gravity belts for my snipers. Freebies such as Defender armors were also used if available. I went all the way with Annihilators once they become available. In the meantime, the hammer is your friend :)

I suppose making Kustom Power armors, Synthsuits, and Revenant armors are also ok, as they are used into making Annihilator armors, so no waste here :)

Attrition rates were pretty high, but with base rotation crews, the Bonny was always fully crewed (10 gals plus two tanks). Gals rotation consisted of getting the replacements for the KIAs and injured from other bases and sending the injured back to these bases. Newer recruits were always pre-screened (strength, then voodoo training) at the satellite bases then sent to the main base once their time came. Satellite bases had a minimum of 10 gals to pick from, with no more than 3 injured, leaving no less than 7 plus lots of tanks and dogs for base defense.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1346 on: November 14, 2015, 03:12:34 am »
From my recent campaign, my thoughts on armor (and other things) are:

Nerf hammer, nerf tanks. Got it :) Because your thoughts on armor boil down to 'I don't use armor' :)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: November 14, 2015, 04:50:16 am »
yeah.. it's an odd take on it, but depending on the armor of tanks, I could see them being much better scout than anything else. Especially if when destroyed they give you a wrecked tank from which you can manufacture a new one. A lot of the encounters in Piratez are with enemies that don't have great ways of dealing with high armor targets and the AI doesn't necessarily think of using its high explosive instead of its shotgun..

Dioxine, if you want a way to nerf tanks, why not make the early tank (and early overtank?) designs unstable since the runts/brainers don't really know how to make them. Blows up on death, maybe not much power, but it's enough to destroy the corpse, make going down first a bit risky for the other gals and prevent the infinite loop of rebuilding tanks. Engine developments could lead to some kind of safeguard and safer tanks.

As far armor, I heavily use armor, as I am a strong believer in gal survivability. Increase the survival of your gals and you increase the average stats of your gals (because they live longer, they have more time to improve more), which in turns increases their survivability since they hit more/are stronger and carry bigger guns/have better reactions so react or don't get reacted to. As your team improves, so does the survival, and it spirals into getting a really awesome team, especially if you can also support them with good tech.

Of course, good tactics also improve survivability and definitely should be used, but it does not replace armor (although tanks might replace tactics, but I dislike tanks, or rather prefer gals). After a year in game, (it's not as much, I know, but still) I have:

Spoiler:
Used:
- smokey/mesh armor for support gals (really like mesh)
- tac/revenant armor for the front lines (the later being Teh Awesomest thing EVER (so far ;)).
- guerilla for the midfield (and for rookies going on "training missions" since it's cheap, expendable but still good).
- Heavy armor works well for valuable midfielders and heavy flamer gals (not frontline so the stam regen/reactions nerf doesn't hurt to much, but close enough that additional armor is good).
- Storm Marine/Defender armor for advanced midfield/boarder (in Piratez, haven't discovered it yet in XPiratez due to missing my PCM on the one trader pogrom I saw :()
- juggernaut for "tanking" duties, unless the enemy is using Gauss weapons/baby nukes (damn you supply ships!).

Not used/disliked:
 - helmeted tac armor: The same downsides as heavy armor but less protection, for barely less than a heavy armor?
- basic armor: Too many negatives for the gains, I'd rather use guerilla for shooty gals, or pirate/tac vest for frontlines.
- Gym/Swimsuits are.. an interesting idea. I know Solarius likes them for melee, but I want my gals to be able to take a facefull of shotgun shells and give some love back. Maybe for melee rookies to "hit and run" support to my real breachers? But 4 breachers is usually enough.

In a move completely against typical "rookie first" standard XCom doctrine, my boarders are my most experienced gals, in the best non-reaction hurting/reaction boosting armor I can find, so they have the highest reaction score I can get. (stamina loss is compensated by combat drugs). Ideally, few guns can do enough damage and kill them in one shot, so they heal back to shape if they get hit (even though it can take a while.. Too bad the surgery room doesn't help with wound recovery). But most of the time they don't get hit since they react and don't get reacted to, and being high accuracy and strength, they hit well and hard.

Melee weapons wise, I personally don't rate the hammer. Too much stamina to swing, too slow, too annoying with the diagonals, too heavy. So it's already where it should be.. I have one on my breaching team because it is great at clearing elevators (can't melee above.. but you can "shoot" a hammer up), used by the juggernaut gal (since the carrying buff means I don't care for the weight, and she's armored enough to tank shots coming down the elevator shaft).

For terrain destruction, pickaxes are just as good and fit on the belt for less weight. For damage, cutlasses, billhooks and axes are ok at the beginning, and techblades later. Plus, melee attacks don't get reacted to, whereas shooting a hammer can get you killed if you don't kill first. And smaller TU usage means you're more likely to react with a blade than you would be with a hammer too. In Piratez, the hammer was REALLY good, in XPiratez? meh..

I've had a hard time finding a good use for most other melee weapons though, especially spears and daggers. Rapier is cool on high melee weak rookies, short sword is an ok side arm for midfield gun gals especially in dense pogrom terrain. I really like the balance of knuckles/handles/cattleprods. Knuckles are better on strong gals, but you risk killing your targets (especially if trying to stun them after they woke up), so cattleprods for the prisoner watchers are really best, and handles for rookies.

Pff.. long post.. Sorry Dioxine, I hope there's something interesting somewhere in there for you ;) I'm procrastinating boarding that landed trader cruiser I know I "need" to pilfer!

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1348 on: November 14, 2015, 05:39:20 am »
Thanks for the feedback, it's always appreciated. The tanks already need 2 wrecks to be manufactured, I will also increase the workshop time. I'm playing with ideas such as 'a tank has finite energy, 10 full moves or so worth of it, but doesn't regenerate any'. Although this is hardly 'realistic' in any meaning of the word...

Offline Foxhound634

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: November 14, 2015, 05:39:48 am »
Is it me or does the stone hatchet not have an ufopedia entry? Does fuso knives allow for reaction shots? I remember something i read about reaction shots only being snap shots, and given that knives only have aimed shot, can they be used for reactions?