Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N8 28-Apr-2024 Labyrinthus Noctis  (Read 3733783 times)

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99I1 - 26 Dec - Spirit of Christmas
« Reply #5385 on: March 13, 2018, 09:17:04 pm »
I’ve seen mammoth shotgun drop mercs.

It desperate, but not totally worthless like a lot of other early guns.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #5386 on: March 13, 2018, 09:45:36 pm »
If you use 'early guns' against mercs, you're going to have a bad day.

Offline sleekie

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5387 on: March 14, 2018, 12:03:07 am »
My first foray against mercs dropped me 5 vibro-axes and a vibrosword so I've mostly ignored guns against them. By the time I had better firearms I didn't really need to fight them any more.

Still can't get the skull to work, and for that matter the Moloch armor doesn't seem to restore Energy like it's supposed to either.

I don't want to fight another heavy freighter army, gawd.

And I didn't know about the zero-TU button, thank you. That helps a lot.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5388 on: March 14, 2018, 12:26:23 am »
On the muskets, all I know is that I seem to hit targets more than I expect to, enough that if the accuracy is above 30%, it's worth the shot.  But they're still pretty much gone by the end of the first month, mostly due to more capacity to send chunks of metal towards the enemy with other weapons

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5389 on: March 14, 2018, 08:43:50 am »
I stick to exchange them asap myself too. 30% is still a 3 out of 10 so this feeling of 'hits more often than it should' is all RNG to help you out.
I'm massively unlucky even with 70%+ shots so I've to risk more to get better odds and do 30% shots only if I got the safety of my airbus to hide myself during the enemy turn.

Standing in the open or offer any clear shot onto your hands in the early phases asks for bullets to connect with max damage-rolls.
Those ol' revolvers and holdout pistols can still roll 52 (or 40) to cause severe injuries with 1-3 fatal wounds demanding 'bandages' to restore 2-6HP.
30+ days in the sickbay afterwards.

--- would you stop this double-posting please... ---

Can't wait for the new release~
Gonna give the golden codex a nice rub on Jack Sparrow/Iron(wo)man mode
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 04:42:06 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5390 on: March 14, 2018, 05:58:02 pm »
If you use 'early guns' against mercs, you're going to have a bad day.
I cant even figure out what will hurt mercs, as a troll species they have most of the issues covered. Big guns nope.. explosives nope.. plasma shotgun nope.. generally melee is a nope too because they'll shoot you before you get close (and its always gauss and flechette). And thats just for the normal ones - then they get their own power armor dudes out after you. Im lucky in my last 2 playthroughs neither them nor the ethereals have been all that active.

From bug reports thread:

I agree that the bandit patrols should get a map vehicle of their own. Complete with the FULL assortment of a base raid (possibly including a terror creature spawn, reaper cavalry would be okay).

I imagined something like this would be like the equivalent of a couple open-roof hovercraft. Think of actual transport hovercraft we use as ferries except futuretech'd, maybe 8x8 size with airvan style architecture (arranged side by side). Probably with gunports in the walls since it works as a portable defensive structure when they're raiding the countryside. They are moving at a speed of 100 so they would need vehicles of some kind, especially hover capable to do overland terrain. The vehicles dont need to give you anything all that great nor be salvageable, no plastasteel or engines.

Since you would need tractor beams to engage them (lateness of the game), it is a low value target but it should be worth something for bothering to do that rather than strafe them. A solid battle however brief... and you score points for the kills... and you can go after the whole fleet of them.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 06:33:52 pm by RSSwizard »

Offline sleekie

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5391 on: March 14, 2018, 07:19:17 pm »
I cant even figure out what will hurt mercs, as a troll species they have most of the issues covered. Big guns nope.. explosives nope.. plasma shotgun nope.. generally melee is a nope too because they'll shoot you before you get close (and its always gauss and flechette). And thats just for the normal ones - then they get their own power armor dudes out after you. Im lucky in my last 2 playthroughs neither them nor the ethereals have been all that active.

I started off by patiently ambushing them with melee. I started off playing with a melee/pistols approach and it trains Reactions up fast, so if you do have to rush them they won't fire anyway. They respond well to lasers, chem, plasma and cutting, so if I was having to fight them regularly from early on I'd probably use magnum chem and the arena flak launcher.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5392 on: March 14, 2018, 07:34:05 pm »
Bandit patrols don't have much of value to consider those worth to be looted, unless each of them carries 1x apple in their inventory and/or money purses.

Those patrols do have thier own crackdown version for a base assault against you. A mix of ratmen together with blood hounds and attack dogs.

Problem with mercs is the camo and massive healthpools. Large open territory only plays in their hands and smoke cover can help but isn't the best solution against the high thermal vision score.
It's a matter of how well prepared you are, night- or daytime mission and how much explosives you throw at them. The aye-phone is one of the best tools to pinpoint their location.

Offline wolfreal

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5393 on: March 14, 2018, 09:29:04 pm »
Early Mercs?

I just run  ;D

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5394 on: March 15, 2018, 03:39:48 am »
Bandit patrols don't have much of value to consider those worth to be looted, unless each of them carries 1x apple in their inventory and/or money purses.
Who cares about looting them, you get points for the kills/looted-dead-men, probably ~200 points per troupe. Also at the point where you could get tractor beams, apples for chateau is pointless compared to boom gun ammo.

Hmm so explosives will take out mercs. Also forgot the Flak did cutting damage, usually I think of guns doing piercing across the board... I tend to have a love for the FC anyway.
(as for open terrain... only places I have to deal with them are in Pogroms or their own Hideouts... Mercs all over the place killing civvies plus Hovertanks, usually lots of open combat. Forget explosives due to civvies. And in their Hideout you get the heavily armored dudes with high TU pools)

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5395 on: March 15, 2018, 11:36:16 am »
Fire hurts them too. Takes time but it will eventually bring down even sectopods.

Allways carry some WP based weapons, you never know when will you run into soemthing too well armored for your other gear.

niculinux

« Reply #5396 on: March 15, 2018, 12:27:20 pm »
As fo 0.99I1 i've noticed that "blood rieuals" misisons always happen in scratching hot enviroments; from next version and on may these take place in normal climate areas or is this intended?

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5397 on: March 15, 2018, 01:52:49 pm »
It was allways like that since the introduction of the mission.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5398 on: March 15, 2018, 07:20:40 pm »
As fo 0.99I1 i've noticed that "blood rieuals" misisons always happen in scratching hot enviroments; from next version and on may these take place in normal climate areas or is this intended?
This is intended to be a quick mission anyway, around 4 turns, the scorching heat isnt a bother that quick. Find the ritual camp, reload the save (now you know where it is)... brutally massacre the werewolves with flak cannons, mammoth shotgun, sawed off, stuff like that. Use flying armor so they cant reach you. Alternatively you could just send a flying gal over, grab the castaway gal off the altar, then fly back. Leave everyone else in the ship to blow away any werewolves that try to hitch a ride.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5399 on: March 15, 2018, 07:28:26 pm »
You can also capture all of the werewolves using grav-harness and cattle-prods.
Either sell their testicles for good money or 'tame' them for auxillary use.
To remove the stun, use canteens of refreshment.