aliens

Author Topic: [DONE] Palette switch flicker issue (fix)  (Read 1374 times)

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
[DONE] Palette switch flicker issue (fix)
« on: May 14, 2020, 06:15:43 pm »
Hi all,

I'm sure most of you noticed this issue, especially on slower computers.

If not, here is a video showing it:

You can notice for example when closing the Skyranger Ufopedia entry, the purple globe background turns yellow for one frame.
If not, I'm attaching also a screenshot of that one frame where you can see the issue.

I have been trying to solve this since I first found OpenXcom... for around 6 years now.

I have finally found something that makes the issue go away, but unfortunately creates a different (although arguably much less critical) issue.
Instead of colors going all crazy, there is an occasional all-black frame instead.
The all-black frame is related to it, but happens less often and isn't nearly as much disturbing.
However, since it is still not ideal, I have locked the "fix" under an entry in options.cfg

Code: [Select]
  oxceEnablePaletteFlickerFix: true   # default false

If you want to try it yourself, feel free... and please let me know how/if it helped for you and how bad the all-black frame issue is for you (it's quite erratic and unpredictable).

----

Also, this entire issue seems to be related only to Software rendering (the first few display filters without * after the name).
So if you can switch to OpenGL rendering, I recommend using the "Raw*" filter (with 60 fps and VSync turned off)... this way you don't need the fix and everything should be fine.

If you can't switch to OpenGL, the fix does help a lot in my opinion, even though it's not absolutely perfect.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 12:31:27 pm by Meridian »