aliens

Author Topic: [TFTD] Base game version required + OpenXcom TFTD Patch questions  (Read 2450 times)

Offline Yuri Alkaviades

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Hello

It's time to save the Earth again from alien hordes but this time i would like to finally try to do it in openXcom. Here are my questions:

1) I understand that openXcom requires original game asset files (not executables). Do I need to patch original game to 2.0 or 2.1? If it is not required then can I still use version 2.0 or 2.1?

2) According to information in this link openxcom.org/downloads-extras/ its required to patch the contents of /TFTD with the OpenXcom TFTD Patch. There is a patch.txt file within this
patch that doesn't provide much info what kind of fixes it includes except 'This patch covers all community fixes to the original X-COM: Terror From The Deep data that affect OpenXcom.'
What exactly has been fixed? Can this patch could be also used in vanilla DOS version or it will brake stuff?

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [TFTD] Base game version required + OpenXcom TFTD Patch questions
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 12:00:07 am »
1) As far as I know the official TFTD patches only affect the EXE so the version doesn't matter to OpenXcom.

2) The data patches should also work in the originals. They fix map bugs like invalid LOFTEMPS, MCDs, routes, etc.

Offline Yuri Alkaviades

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 02:37:32 pm »
1) As far as I know the official TFTD patches only affect the EXE so the version doesn't matter to OpenXcom.

Both 2.0 and 2.1 patches also have modified GEODATA/OBDATA.DAT

2) The data patches should also work in the originals. They fix map bugs like invalid LOFTEMPS, MCDs, routes, etc.

Could you provide a little more details what are those bugs?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 02:51:08 pm »
Both 2.0 and 2.1 patches also have modified GEODATA/OBDATA.DAT

OpenXcom doesn't use OBDATA.DAT... such information is stored in OpenXcom's own ruleset files.

Could you provide a little more details what are those bugs?

Nobody keeps that in their head.
If you're interested you can open the old files and the new files in a map editor and compare.