aliens

Author Topic: Bullet Designer's V-22 as a stand-alone mod.  (Read 10179 times)

Offline MKSheppard

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Bullet Designer's V-22 as a stand-alone mod.
« on: July 29, 2017, 06:29:55 pm »
See attached for Bullet Designer's Osprey (from this thread LINK) with the ruleset reworked slightly to be workable in the stock campaign game, instead of only in the random battle generator.

You start out with an Osprey in your starting base instead of a Skyranger, and this mod also slightly modifies the Skyranger to be a very high subsonic transport (850 km/h vs 760 in the original), with much shorter range (400 fuel vs 1400 in the original).

Basically, the Osprey is about half as fast, but can go further (11,600~ km and 29.2 hours in the air versus 6,660~ km and 8.3 hours in the air) versus the Skyranger.

I originally intended for the Osprey to be a slow "loaded for bear" transport, with the full interior capacity of 20 men or 4 HWPs available, while the Skyranger would be a lightweight fast jet VTOL transport that was nearly supersonic (maybe 900~ km/h) allowing you to get places fast, but without HWPs, to all balance it out; but current bug on the map for the Osprey means HWPs can't exit the plane. Oh well.

Known Bugs Currently:
HWP's can be placed into the Osprey, but they can't exit the Osprey, due to I think a pathing error somewhere.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 06:43:47 pm by MKSheppard »

Offline Yataka Shimaoka

• Colonel
  • I'm the trouble maker
    • View Profile
Re: Bullet Designer's V-22 as a stand-alone mod.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 07:04:50 pm »
Nice work! I have been waiting for this! Luckily bullet has a shipyard with all the battlescape sprites, and it is just a mod resource :( I myself is modding OXC but can't make pixelated art for ufopedia and the basebits too. Where can I learn to do all this stuff?

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 12:59:22 am »
Very cool.

Offline SteamXCOM

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 03:21:06 am »
OSPREY FIXED for HWPs

The OSPREY ramp had to be recreated from the PLANE tileset which is added to the OSPREY tileset in MAPVIEW and  to the appropriate .rul file.

You can have up to 5 HWPs exit the craft now or 20 soldiers or combinations thereof

Contents of ZIPS (Downloads found below screenshot)

* v22_Starting Base 1.1 ==Same as original released MKSheppard mod with your base starting with V22 OSPREY except it has HWP capability.

*V22_HWP_PurchaseOnly 1.1==V22 OSPREY  with HWP capability.  The OSPREY  is in the store purchase list and has altered stats to keep the SKYRANGER competitive (OSPREY has greatly reduced range, is very expensive but carries more into battle).  Nothing else is changed.  This version  is desirable if you do not want the base layout to be altered or  if used with mods that change the base layout.

* Limit_Craft_Item_Capacities - OSPREY.zip
This mod enforces the 80 item limit on the OSPREY
If you use this you do not need the other Limit_Craft_Item_Capacities mod that is included in OPENXCOM
When this mod is activated it includes those craft as well as the OSPREY.

Download found below screenshot
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 10:18:28 am by SteamXCOM »

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 04:31:05 am »
Two things I want to try - make the rotors spin slowly, it's only 8 frames but it just might work.

And I don't know, something like 50x70 V-12 map, that would the definition of "loaded to bear", 112 tiles of cabin space.

If only I had time...

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 12:00:46 am »
The OSPREY ramp had to be recreated from the PLANE tileset which is added to the OSPREY tileset in MAPVIEW and  to the appropriate .rul file.

Or you can simply fix the MCD file of the V-22 to allow for the HWPs to go down the ramp

Offline SteamXCOM

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 01:06:33 am »
Or you can simply fix the MCD file of the V-22 to allow for the HWPs to go down the ramp

As far as I could tell, they were identical, it looks as though the tiles in question were copied and pasted from PLANE.MCD to OSPREY.MCD with no changes whatsoever except what number they were in the MCD file.   I tried it myself with the same result of the ramp built from the OSPREY.MCD  not working for HWPs, but if the tiles from the PLANE.mcd were used in the OSPREY map, the tanks travel fine on the ramp.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 03:44:13 am by SteamXCOM »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 01:50:47 pm »
As far as I could tell, they were identical, it looks as though the tiles in question were copied and pasted from PLANE.MCD to OSPREY.MCD with no changes whatsoever except what number they were in the MCD file.   I tried it myself with the same result of the ramp built from the OSPREY.MCD  not working for HWPs, but if the tiles from the PLANE.mcd were used in the OSPREY map, the tanks travel fine on the ramp.

Try the attached PLANE3 files, just rename them to OSPREY or edit the ruleset

Offline SteamXCOM

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 11:36:42 pm »
Try the attached PLANE3 files, just rename them to OSPREY or edit the ruleset

I shall use this as soon as I get to the house, thanks Hobbes!

Offline MKSheppard

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 02:38:35 am »
The OSPREY  is in the store purchase list and has altered stats to keep the SKYRANGER competitive (OSPREY has greatly reduced range, is very expensive but carries more into battle).

V-22:

http://www.boeing.com/ospreynews/2011/issue_01/final_8jun2010_179638.pdf

With 24 passengers, it can deliver them out to 325 nautical miles (600 km) radius.

There are options to extend range via reducing passenger seats for more fuel tanks.

The only jet VTOL transport ever built was the Dornier Do-31:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dornier_Do_31
http://www.historynet.com/dornier-record-setting-vtol-jet-transport.htm

It cruised at 650 km/h but had a short range:

http://www.deutsches-museum.de/en/flugwerft/collections/vtol-aircraft/do-31/

Range   200 km (vertical take-off and 2700 kg payload)

2,700 kg is about 30 troops.

Offline SteamXCOM

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 04:27:32 am »
Thank you for that booklet, MKSheppard  It is VERY informative (I want one, oh wait...)
If you look on pages 8-9 the tactical, operational and strategic reach of the OSPREY is illustrated with a map of the US east coast  and  in the middle Mediterranean giving an idea of how much in XCOM land  to set the FUEL for: with those guidelines, OSPREY fuel probably should be set for 150-200.  But as a modder's resource, we can set it for whatever we want depending on what one wants to do with the game.

-------
--------------

@HOBBES that works, changed the name to OSPREY from PLANE3 and got rid of the need for the PLANE tile file thank you , zips updated.  I gather you rebuilt the MCD /PCK files?

Added another mod to enforce 80 item limit in the Osprey 4th post down from top

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 12:37:25 am by SteamXCOM »

Offline Yataka Shimaoka

• Colonel
  • I'm the trouble maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 03:27:32 pm »
Is this mod still being maintained?

Offline SteamXCOM

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 06:01:27 pm »
Is this mod still being maintained?

What do you think it needs? 
I think MKSheppard did a fine job of introducing BulletDesigners extensive mod resource it into the game and once Hobbes redid the MCD to fix the HWP problem together with Limit_Craft_Item_Capacities - OSPREY.zip  and its altogether ready to go ( in post 4)  with standalone as well as a starting  base version, not sure what else can be done except tweaking stats.  Hobbes is going to use it in his upcoming TERMINATOR mod with some changed stats

All there is left is to put it on the portal.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 04:55:57 pm by SteamXCOM »

Offline Yataka Shimaoka

• Colonel
  • I'm the trouble maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 04:01:15 pm »
I thought it was still in beta, and many more stuffs are needed yo be fixed. Oh well, silly me

Offline SteamXCOM

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 05:03:49 pm »
Try it out in the quick battle for instance and see if all seems well.  I use it all the time for mod experiments as it can load 5 hWP tanks at once so if working on an HWP mod with lots of vehicle variations to test;  it works quite well.

At first I was a bit put off by the fact on occassion aliens could spot and shoot through the cockpit and kill my soldiers, however,in such  a firefight, an aircraft, unless boarding to escape, is not the safest place on the battlefield.