Author Topic: Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin  (Read 1952406 times)

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Com Files - 3.2: The Colors of Sin
« Reply #5985 on: March 24, 2024, 08:30:57 am »
Actually, only armors with a Ufopedia entry seem to be included. That includes unlocking the right soldier type, usually.

It's a pretty nice if a little cumbersome way to manage the list.

Scrolling is indeed not included. No, it is, I'm blind. :-[

Also, don't use my Stealth Armours submod, or alter it to use !add. Among other things that don't really work in it as a submod (scripts, mainly), it also lazily overwrites starting conditions. :-[
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 09:15:19 pm by Juku121 »

Offline 0xEBJC

• Colonel
  • Y'all are awesome! Thankful for this community.
    • View Profile
    • My Projects
« Reply #5986 on: March 25, 2024, 06:20:36 pm »
Actually, only armors with a Ufopedia entry seem to be included. That includes unlocking the right soldier type, usually.

It's a pretty nice if a little cumbersome way to manage the list.

Scrolling is indeed not included. :(

Ok, yeah so I think that is a tough one to consider, as some armors are 'equippable' before they are researched, and you probably don't want to show an 'entire' list of allowable armors for an environment way before a bunch of those armors are researched or even discovered.

Maybe, I think it would be a benefit to somehow from ufopedia page for an armor what it's allowable environments are.. but that may get complicated if you haven't discovered specific environments yet like dimension-x or space, etc.

The solution I'm looking for is how can you tell if an armor will work for an environment 'before' it is researched?  so when equipping it from the armor menu you can guarantee that it will not be auto-replaced when you get to the site location.

Here's my suggestion, and this may need to go into the OXCE suggestions.  When you are at the items menu for adding items to a craft there is a drop down menu that filters items based on 'allowed' or 'categories' like 'labor gear'  I think a good solution would be to have a drop down menu in the armors menu for each 'environment' so even it an armor isn't researched yet you could filter in the armors menu for say 'dimension-x' and it would show you allowable armors in dimension-x even for available armors in the inventory and equippable although not yet researched.  and scrolling would be a nice feature improvement.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 06:22:11 pm by 0xEBJC »

Offline 0xEBJC

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • My Projects
« Reply #5987 on: March 25, 2024, 06:26:58 pm »
Also, don't use my Stealth Armours submod, or alter it to use !add. Among other things that don't really work in it as a submod (scripts, mainly), it also lazily overwrites starting conditions. :-[

so for a 'lazy' overwrite is this just something that needs to be worked a lot in the source by the devs, I'm assuming?

I did notice that some oddities in testing, when I directly entered a crash site for aquatoids with my armor using the add! to starting conditions I ended up with the correct armor equipped, but my inventory was complete empty and I had to go around and 'punch' all the enemies.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5988 on: March 25, 2024, 08:03:14 pm »
Some sort of armour tags system would be best, I think, but would need serious consideration in how to implement it.

Otherwise, one could add tags similar to the no longer extant 'Concealable' to armour pedia entries; or add one or even several pedia articles on a discovered environment (possibly via auto-completed research) vs allowable armours. Maybe even a whole bunch of articles that get unlocked and locked depending on your researched armour list. And potentially allowing to research looted armour without unlocking the full manufacture/buy/tech development, similar to how looted weapons work.

All of this is a lot of work for the modder for rather limited gains.

Asking for scrolling and armour tags seem much easier for the modder, but OXCE development has a giant todo list and is at a low point right now. :(

The overwrite was just my own laziness, AFAIK you can just !add the armours with no ill effects. The scripts were where I had trouble.

I don't understand what the 'empty inventory' issues was, exactly. Did you test in Quick Battles? And were somehow unable to equip the soldier? Or it wiped their equipment 'memory'? Something else?

Offline 0xEBJC

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • My Projects
« Reply #5989 on: March 25, 2024, 08:40:42 pm »
It didn't empty their inventory permanently, after shooting down an aquatoid ship over land and directly entering battle the soldier had the new test armor I added, but their inventory was empty, I'm guessing some issues with "allowed items for that battle type" like how if you have guns equipped to a soldier and then they deploy to a beach all the guns go away for that battle. 

For identifying if an unresearched armor could be used in a specific environment I don't think you would need to do any sort of complex udopedia flags...  The easiest ways would be to implement this would be to have a drop down filter in the armor equip menu with the ability to choose environments like dimension-x and then it would only show the armors equippable for that battlescape type, so this would be something complete independent from the research requirements / accomplishments, and would not affect the "mission menu" that only shows researched armors.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5990 on: March 25, 2024, 09:27:00 pm »
So you only had 'abovewater' guns? If so, that seems to be working as intended.

The advantage of pedia tags you the tags is that it's doable right now. The disadvantage is that it's a lot of manual work (which is why 'Concealed' was moved to item tags and discontinued in the pedia) and won't account for 'unencountered' environments.

The drop down you're envisioning would be basically extending current item tags to armours - as armours and not items. I suppose one can kinda filter for armours in inventory even right now, but not while equipping a craft. Which is what really matters.

I don't know if there are any issues with corner cases and/or UI if such a suggestion were to be considered. Probably not deal-breakers.

Offline 0xEBJC

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • My Projects
« Reply #5991 on: March 26, 2024, 07:46:31 am »
so I did find that there is a scrollbar when the list is big enough, so that's working great

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5992 on: March 27, 2024, 05:28:59 pm »
This is fine!

Offline 0xEBJC

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • My Projects
« Reply #5993 on: March 28, 2024, 12:22:39 am »
So you only had 'abovewater' guns? If so, that seems to be working as intended.

It would make sense for a water mission, but this was where I shot down an aquatoid ship over land and the mission was on in farmland with houses.  So, I'm still thinking there's something not quite right.  I had this issue come up a couple of times, but haven't been able to duplicate it again.