Author Topic: OpenXcom mods  (Read 37358 times)

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: OpenXcom mods
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 10:02:46 am »
i guess we should start writing up some sort of guidelines for mods.

unfortunately i lack the knowledge of the intricacies of the english language and command of verbal structure to write a straightforward and intuitive set of instructions as to how one should approach the endeavour, and should you require any evidence, i encourage you to pay closer attention to my "eccentric" usage of punctuation, as this sentence itself is now three lines long, and shows no sign of ending any time soon, in fact, i could probably write a whole paragraph without using a single period... except perhaps to indicate a pause for thought, and obviously the single one at the end to signify "i'm done talking.".

i am, however, capable of answering any inquiries regarding definition of new objects, what the variables mean, and how they correspond to behaviour within the executable itself.

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 12:31:45 pm »
i guess we should start writing up some sort of guidelines for mods.

unfortunately i lack the knowledge of the intricacies of the english language and command of verbal structure to write a straightforward and intuitive set of instructions as to how one should approach the endeavour, and should you require any evidence, i encourage you to pay closer attention to my "eccentric" usage of punctuation, as this sentence itself is now three lines long, and shows no sign of ending any time soon, in fact, i could probably write a whole paragraph without using a single period... except perhaps to indicate a pause for thought, and obviously the single one at the end to signify "i'm done talking.".

i am, however, capable of answering any inquiries regarding definition of new objects, what the variables mean, and how they correspond to behaviour within the executable itself.
I think your English is perfectly fine for any sort of guidelines. But if you want, I can be your "editor" if you want to write something up

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 06:45:12 am »
the basics of adding new graphics:

here's a (basic and incomplete-ish) list of graphics files used internally:

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=UNITS

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=UFOGRAPH

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=GEOGRAPH

when defining new graphics, you will either be adding to/replacing sprites in one of these sets, or creating your own new ones.

so, for example:

extraSprites:
  - type: BIGOBS.PCK
    files:
      1: Resources/Chiko/SuperCoolWeapon.png

would replace entry 1 in BIGOBS.PCK, the rifle (remember to count from 0) with the contents of Resources/Chiko/SuperCoolWeapon.png.

if you define a sprite entry within the bounds of the original file, it will replace an entry in that set, for example, the Moriarty armor replaces the corpse for the power suit in BIGOBS.PCK and FLOOROB.PCK, and the torso sections of XCOM_2.PCK. mods that replace original graphics may override each other, load order in the config is the key to priority here. if you define a file name, it will only replace that particular entry, if you define a directory name (ie: ends with "/") it will use the entire contents of that folder, in alphanumeric order, starting from the entry you define.

if you define a sprite entry HIGHER than the contents of the original file, it will create a new entry in that set, so you can define a new item that refers to it,  for example, the Moriarty armor adds new flying armor corpse sprites to BIGOBS.PCK and FLOOROB.PCK. you don't need to worry about your sprite additions conflicting with someone else's mod, i already worried about that for you. so, for example, two mods can define a new bigobs item 57, and they won't override each other. it uses internal mod indexing, so define your additional sprites in the same ruleset as the additional items.

you can also define entirely new sprite sets, for example:

extraSprites:
  - type: GIANTBUNNY.PCK
    width: 32
    height: 40
    files:
      0: Resources/Bunny/sprite/
  - type: GIANTBUNNYUFOPAEDIA.SPK
    width: 320
    height: 200
    singleImage: true
    files:
      0: Resources/Bunny/UFOPaedia.png

would create a new spritesheet called "GIANTBUNNY.PCK", using the contents of the folder "Resources/Bunny/sprite/" and a new single image (ie: not part of a set, ie: generally not a .PCK file) called GIANTBUNNYUFOPAEDIA.SPK. new sets/images should ALWAYS have a width and height defined, it defaults to 320x200. the "singleImage" field obviously denotes that this is NOT part of a set.

obviously any ADDITIONAL graphics will not be referenced unless you define something to do so in the ruleset, as in the case of the flying armor corpse for the Moriarty armor.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 07:03:29 am by Warboy1982 »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 07:02:28 am »
the basics of adding new sounds:

apart from music, which is loaded dynamically anyway, there are 2 files here you should care about.

GEO.CAT

BATTLE.CAT

functionality is almost identical to extraSprites, except defining a new soundset won't really do anything.

for example:

extraSounds:
  - type: BATTLE.CAT
    files:
      4: Resources/Sounds/DOOMSHOTGUN.WAV

would replace entry 4 in BATTLE.CAT with Resources/Sounds/DOOMSHOTGUN.WAV. I did manage to get it to play the doom shotgun sound when firing a rifle using the above method, but i'm not great at audio engineering, so if someone wants to play around and recommend some "ideal" volume levels and frequency settings i'd be much obliged.

again, if you define a number higher than what's in the original, you need to define an item to reference it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 07:04:10 am by Warboy1982 »

Offline glokk2

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 08:43:19 pm »
Hello!

Changed the weapons ,uniforms for soldiers on the shape of the paratroopers of the USSR airborne troops, grenades, first aid kit and a scanner.
Changed a few small ships UFO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRHulakiUkY
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 09:03:44 pm by glokk2 »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 09:51:51 pm »
Nice work mate, please read Private Message from me ;)

Offline glokk2

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 07:20:05 pm »
Hello!

The MOU was I wrote back in 1995 ,on a 386 computer when the game was on a floppy disk .
Those were the days!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 08:08:17 pm by glokk2 »

Offline glokk2

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 07:37:13 pm »
Hello!

Spread the files игры.Нужно folders UNITS,UFOGRAPH,MAPS substituted into the game and everything should work.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2013, 10:08:17 pm »
Glokk2 -  i have moved your data on to Openxcom Mods, most modders control there own pages but if you have no interest in this, i will maintain it, just let me know if there is anything else you want changed.

https://openxcommods.weebly.com/glokk2s-mods.html
https://openxcommods.weebly.com/downloads4.html

Hopefully the community will come to the party and help "dissect" your mod into smaller parts so the community here can add and remove what they wish, at the very least, i will do some of this :P

Thank you for sharing your work :D

Offline glokk2

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 03:41:32 pm »
Hi all !!

Files of my mod, I laid out for all fans of the game x-com , allow you to use the files on your discretion.

Offline MFive

• Captain
  • Lazy Sectoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2013, 10:42:21 pm »
not sure where to ask, but are the sprites on the mod-sight i are available for public use(provided credit of course)? or should i PM(or otherwise get ahold of the individual person) them?

many nice sprites there with no rules or way to use them(aside from copy-pasta over pre-existing xcom stuff)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2013, 12:27:00 pm »
there is no formal agreement on there use, i dare say everyone who spent the time making the mods intends them to be used by the community and a public thank-you for there efforts is what most would expect if you build them into another bigger mod/ ruleset.

most of the artwork was done before Rulesets existed , if you do a ruleset for a exiting mod and the original artist is not around , i am happy to attach it to there page and give you credit for your help. If you plan on building into a bigger mod, i am happy to add your stuff to the site also

Offline MFive

• Captain
  • Lazy Sectoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2013, 10:48:10 pm »
for now i am trying to see what i can do with a ruleset, this being my first 'programing' experience in IRL(out of classroom) and me still on collage, i just wanted to get this cleared up for the future, i have ideas, but not sure how to implement them yet, have been working with some 'older' mods seeing if they could be implemented better and or combined into a single mod, the combination i have so far i find very promising so if i can get them into a single rule set then i will post it and have some fun, but untill then i still need to get the tile maker working(need to make some more 2 story building for the base)

Offline Hobbit Lord

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2013, 05:46:06 pm »
Hi

It seems the website is a bit broken

Some links from the front page don't go to the mods they're supposed to go to

eg
Chicko & Moriatys Weapon Set goes to
https://openxcommods.weebly.com/downloads1.html (soundtrack)

Some pages have no downloads links

eg
https://openxcommods.weebly.com/downloads2.html

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2013, 12:18:27 am »
Hi

It seems the website is a bit broken

Some links from the front page don't go to the mods they're supposed to go to

Yes i know, i have been a little slack on the upkeep,  Christmas holidays i will go through and update everything i promise ;) For now, just search for interesting mods,  by Person.

As for the page with no download link, maybe the modder never actually made anything :D I provide them a space to add anything they create, if they never actually finish anything, then the pages stay with nothing on them :(
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 12:21:14 am by luke83 »