aliens

Author Topic: [UFO] [AIRCRAFT] Reaver's Armada - expanded craft selection, more choices  (Read 10124 times)

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
Mod page: https://www.openxcom.com/mod/reaver-039-s-armada

In this mod I have expanded the game's aircraft to a total of sixteen craft, eight of which can be purchased at the start of the game and the other eight are unlocked through research and are manufactured by X-Com. This mod changes the original craft through a combination of tweaks and splitting them into more types.

LATEST VERSION: 1.3.2
Scroll to Reply #9 for info and download.

Changes
The Interceptor has been nerfed by being split into the swift Interceptor and the powerful Punisher. The original interceptor's best attributes have been spread across these two craft: the new Interceptor carries its speed and range, while the Punisher has its 2 weapon slots and damage capacity. I have tested these craft and they are still quite capable of shooting down alien craft, but you'll have to think strategically in order to pull it off.

The old Skyranger is split into the new Skyranger and the Custodian. The new Skyranger is faster than the old one but carries a smaller fighting force. The Custodian is slower than the old Skyranger but carries an even larger force and features multiple craft exits. This gives you some choices right in the beginning so you can pick a troop transport that meets your needs.

After you complete research in UFO Construction, you will be presented with two options: New Fighter Craft or New Transport Craft. This lets you choose between getting the Firestorm or Lightning first. Furthermore, both craft are capable of both interceptions and carrying troops, though the Firestorm is a far better interceptor and the Lightning is a far better transport. This allows you to just build one craft and save yourself some time and hangars.

The Firestorm now carries 4 soldiers or a tank, and the Lightning carries 16 soldiers or up to 4 tanks. Both craft place the troops on ground level at the start of the mission, facing in all directions. This kind of start gets combat moving much earlier in the mission and can potentially be more dangerous but many times it can actually save the lives of your troops. I find this Lightning to my liking, but there are plenty of other troop transport options to choose from if you don't like it.

The Avenger is nerfed much like the Interceptor by being split into two craft: the Avenger and the Vanquisher. The new Avenger keeps the old Avenger's interception capabilities and is researched after the Firestorm. It is also a capable troop transport, carrying a force slightly larger than the new Skyranger. The Vanquisher keeps the old Avenger's transport capacity but moves a bit slower than the Firestorm so it's not the best interception craft. Still, these ultimate craft are much more capable all-around than the more streamlined Firestorm and Lightning, so you can still feel free to only build one of these and it should provide you with everything you need in a ship.

Everything, except of course patrolling functions.

New Conventional Craft
Three of the craft added are patrol craft, and these are able to remain in the air for a long time while also featuring an extended radar detect range. The Sparrow is a long-range patrol craft that can reach the other side of the globe and still have plenty of fuel remaining when it gets there. It has a wider radar range than the Albatross. The Albatross is a slow-moving patrol craft that can remain in the air for up to a week. It has a higher chance of detecting UFOs than the Sparrow does.

The Stormstrike is a light troop transport that moves almost as fast as an Interceptor and carries 4 soldiers, but can't carry a tank. This craft is very useful for catching landed UFOs if you don't want to give them a chance to run away before you get there.

The Marauder is a slow, medium-range interception craft which is a lot more durable than a Punisher. These can be useful for taking out some of the larger craft early in the game, though it can be tricky to catch anything with one. I wanted to give this ship a third weapon but it was too much trouble to use OpenXcom Extended just for one thing. One neat thing about the Marauder is that it can carry 2 soldiers, so if you like to shoot down a craft and go to the crash site immediately, this ship can do that.

New Alien Technology Craft
All of these craft are unlocked through advanced research. They have multiple prerequisites, so just keep researching and you will eventually get them. Research engineers.

The Stalker is an alien-tech patrol craft which moves faster than the Lightning but can patrol as long as the Albatross and doesn't use fuel any faster while moving. It costs far less Elerium to refuel than other Elerium craft, though it still can get expensive if you keep this craft in the air all the time. It has a better radar suite than either the Sparrow or Albatross.

The Heracles is a heavy-duty troop transport able to carry 32 soldiers or 8 tanks, and features a wide exit ramp. If you ever felt that 26 unit slots wasn't enough, then this is the craft for you. It is the slowest of all alien-tech craft but still faster than any conventional craft, and it costs a lot of elerium to run.

The Starstreak is a tiny, lightweight craft that moves much faster than even the Avenger, making it able to outrun even the fastest alien craft by a large margin. With two weapons, it is a highly capable interception craft, though it is a bit fragile. It is also cheap to build.

The Assassin merges the Avenger and Vanquisher into one craft for both jobs, being both a fast and strong interceptor and a heavy troop transport. It is weaker than the old avenger in both roles, but still very capable if that's the kind of ship you want. It is conceivable that you could eventually build an Assassin and get rid of all your other ships, as you would never need anything else.

Pictures

The Lightning splays your troops out for a quick exit:

The Custodian features two exits in the rear, allowing troops to exit more quickly:

Albatross radar range compared to base ship radar range:

Starting Base Changes
In the mod folder is a sub-folder called 'startingBase' which contains rulesets for changing the starting base. If you wish to use it, you must move the files into the main mod folder. I recommend using it, but it changes more parts of the game, so there is a higher chance of conflicts with other mods.

With these changes, the starting base will have a fourth hangar, and you start with one of each: Interceptor, Punisher, Skyranger, and Custodian. You'll have more funds to start with and countries will pay more, this is to cover the increased cost of using all these ships. You can use these funds to expand quickly early on, making multiple bases and lots of hangars. I have also tweaked the starting equipment.

This change to the starting base is compatible with all of my published mods and is going to be included in some of them as well.

Localization: EN-US
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 10:07:22 am by The Reaver of Darkness »

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [UFO] [AIRCRAFT] Reaver's Armada - expanded craft selection, more choices
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 11:25:50 am »
I have released a new version which makes the secondary conventional craft more useful and interesting. Now instead of being purchased, they are manufactured by the player after early research into alien craft technology. They are much cheaper to manufacture than the later craft.

Sparrow: long-range patrol craft using Elerium-115 to power an exceptionally strong electronics suite
 - increased Sparrow's speed slightly

Albatross: medium-range patrol craft using UFO Navigation's levitation power for extreme fuel efficiency
 - increased Albatross's speed and radar range a bit

Stormstrike: swift troop transport using UFO Power Source adapted to use earthbound nuclear fuel for exceptional engine thrust--can be used to replace your Skyranger, though it carries fewer soldiers
 - increased speed significantly, is now faster than Interceptor
 - increased soldier capacity to 6

Marauder: interception craft using alien alloys for a lighter and stronger frame, allowing the craft to carry a heavy armament without being overly weighed down
 - altered Marauder into a craft with a bit less speed and fuel than Interceptor, 2 weapons and higher damage capacity than Punisher

I am also partially recanting my old statement about the starting base change being carried over to other mods. I realized it relies on this mod, so I am instead going to leave it attached to this mod. Eventually there will be two versions of it: one that needs only this mod (but is compatible with my other Reaver's X mods), and one that is built for having all of my Reaver's X mods installed.

Offline 123nick

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
plan on adding FMP support?

• Commander
    • View Profile
plan on adding FMP support?
No.

I'd love to add FMP support, but it's completely unrealistic because FMP is a total conversion and all of my mods put together will also be a total conversion. I could make a version that merges into FMP but it would end up unbalanced because my ideas behind how everything should be are different from those of Solarius Scorch.

I apologize for that but it's not going to happen on the whole. But if my mods generate enough popularity, it is possible Solarius Scorch may sample a portion of them into the FMP--without all of the balance tweaks I am sure!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Or my next project, OK? Because FMP is practically finished. :)

• Commander
    • View Profile
Or my next project, OK? Because FMP is practically finished. :)
I'd love my mods to be a part of anything you make, but I'm not expecting a lot because I'm doing more balance tweaks than adding any actual content. This segment-Reaver's Armada-probably contains the majority of all the added content. Seems to me like it wouldn't really fit into what you're doing but if you feel otherwise, I'd be happy to work with you!

Also if any of you have suggestions as to how it could be feasible to provide support for FMP, let me know! I am very open to suggestions.

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile

Spoiler:
    deployment:
      - [6, 9, 0, 6]
      - [6, 10, 0, 6]
      - [7, 9, 0, 6]
      - [7, 10, 0, 6]
      - [9, 6, 0, 0]
      - [10, 6, 0, 0]
      - [9, 7, 0, 0]
      - [10, 7, 0, 0]
      - [12, 9, 0, 2]
      - [12, 10, 0, 2]
      - [13, 9, 0, 2]
      - [13, 10, 0, 2]
      - [9, 12, 0, 4]
      - [10, 12, 0, 4]
      - [9, 13, 0, 4]
      - [10, 13, 0, 4]
      - [11, 12, 1, 6]
      - [12, 11, 1, 6]
      - [12, 12, 1, 6]
      - [11, 7, 1, 0]
      - [11, 6, 1, 0]
      - [12, 7, 1, 0]
      - [8, 7, 1, 2]
      - [8, 6, 1, 2]
      - [7, 7, 1, 2]
      - [7, 11, 1, 4]
      - [7, 12, 1, 4]
      - [8, 12, 1, 4]
:)

Offline 123nick

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
No.

I'd love to add FMP support, but it's completely unrealistic because FMP is a total conversion and all of my mods put together will also be a total conversion. I could make a version that merges into FMP but it would end up unbalanced because my ideas behind how everything should be are different from those of Solarius Scorch.

I apologize for that but it's not going to happen on the whole. But if my mods generate enough popularity, it is possible Solarius Scorch may sample a portion of them into the FMP--without all of the balance tweaks I am sure!

oh, ok.  i mean, i was just wondering about having the armada be apart of FMP. but i guess that means i cant use this with FMP. i mean, if i could i might be able to code some sort of patch, but i dont know how to, or if it would be easy/hard. oh well  :-\

• Commander
    • View Profile
oh, ok.  i mean, i was just wondering about having the armada be apart of FMP. but i guess that means i cant use this with FMP. i mean, if i could i might be able to code some sort of patch, but i dont know how to, or if it would be easy/hard. oh well  :-\
It wouldn't be that hard to just add these ships to FMP without changing anything else. Maybe I'll make a version that has only the ships.

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 11:58:16 am »
I made a couple of major updates to the mod. First, I added military and civilian aircraft which you can't fly but which you can sell for money. Second, I reworked the secondary conventional aircraft again.

Civilian Aircraft: costs alien alloys, requires a large amount of space and time to build. These have a lower profit per engineer hour, but you don't need special materials to make them (except some alloys which you can build yourself).

Military Aircraft: costs alloys, elerium, navigation, and power source, but costs less space and time to build. Individually these sell for less than a civilian aircraft, but the profit per engineer hour is significantly higher. After considering the lower space requirements, these offer much higher income than civilian aircraft and are a great way to burn through a bunch of extra UFO components you have laying around.

While playing with the secondary conventional craft, I found myself loving the Marauder and Albatross quite a lot. I didn't use the Albatross much because I was getting lazy and also because I got radar bases all over the world, but I had a Marauder at every base. The Sparrow and Stormstrike, however, I wasn't using at all. I realized these craft need to be more expensive, and I had to buff the Sparrow and Stormstrike to make them worth flying. I also noticed after I got Marauders, I missed the choice between Interceptor and Punisher. So now the Sparrow combines its radar bonus with being an upgrade to the interceptor, still with one weapon and slightly increased hit points. It can't patrol as long anymore but it is much faster than before. The Stormstrike now has way more fuel plus the same radar bonus that the Sparrow has. Now you can have your choice of long range patrol craft: either with integrated interception or with integrated transport. I think it makes sense to combine these because all three (light interceptor, light transport, long range patrol) are less popular options than the long duration patrol, heavy transport, or heavy interceptor.

The rental costs of secondary conventional craft are increased, and their initial cost to build has been increased by a lot: they cost over a million dollars to build, plus special materials. I also gave them each a secondary tech requirement because I found I was abandoning the purchase craft too early in the game. These should still find some longevity past Firestorm/Lightning as they do not require elerium for fuel.

Hopefully this will give players more reason to spend money on base expansion and getting more aircraft. I aim to give the player more ways to earn money as well as ways to spend it. Right now I seem to be getting too much money from monthly payments even though I am getting much less from loot, so I'm decreasing the funding (in starting base variation). I originally increased it by 50% per country, but I'm lowering that to 40%. I realize probably part of my excess money comes from not buying many personnel (I only have 50 scientists), but I have a lot of aircraft so that ought to offset it more than it is currently.

So I'll try these new values and see if it works better. I'm still looking to give the player more ways to spend money, so if you have any ideas, please share! Currently there seems to be nothing to do with very large amounts of funds other than show it off to other players.

Last bit of info: I think the game can search into the subfolder to find the startingBase ruleset pieces. If you don't want the alternate starting base, you can simply delete it's subfolder.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 12:00:20 pm by The Reaver of Darkness »

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 10:13:25 am »
Version 1.3.2

A couple important changes:

1.) I increased General Stores storage from 50 to 100. I want this to go into my Reaver's Facilities mod, but I really can't wait for it so I stuck it in the startingBase folder. As usual, take the rulesets into the main folder to gain the startingBase changes.

2.) More importantly, I removed the increase to monthly funding. Turns out I didn't have the funding bonus installed all along, and when I felt I was getting paid too much, that was the default values. I guess the pay is way different when you're good at the game. I remember when I was younger, the monthly funding was pitiful compared to my bills.

Well there's still ways for you to make lots of money, and my mods make it more difficult than vanilla but give you enough options that you can probably make even more money than in vanilla.