Author Topic: Area 51 - General Feedback thread  (Read 176123 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: Area 51 - General Feedback thread
« Reply #1200 on: July 27, 2016, 06:21:59 pm »
Finally all preparations for the Cydonia mission are finished.
Twenty-two psi-resistant x-com troopers (including six fully-trained psy-corps) and a

plasma hover-tank are bound to Mars.

After short, fast and bloody skirmish and some psi-control one last Muton commander is left

standing. The first phase of the ultimate operation cost X-COM dearly - four good people

are left dead on the Martian surface, including one of the priceless psi-corps.
But victory is getting nearer. SO is the final battle.
It could have gone smooth, but it hadn't. The primordial bane of X-Com has struck when

nobody could expect it...
A crash.
Now one of the soldiers is ready to finish the Muton commander with a quick Heavy Plasma

salvo. Or you can psi-control it - enough capable psi-corps are left standing.
But after the mission screen there comes the crash.
As usual, the archived save file is attached ("Mars1.sav").

If you need it, I can also upload the savefile just before the beginning of Cydonia
(UPDATE - I've attached it too - "Launching.sav")

mission.

Fix on the attached file, unzip it to mods/Area 51/Ruleset/ and replace the existing file. I'm updating the download links

Offline firsttefl1

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: July 28, 2016, 07:57:49 am »
Finally the game is completable - I've attached the end-game save file (there is a mind-controlled Ethereal who can destroy the Brain with a grenade or a lucky shot).
It's nice that Martian aliens have some new weapons (not found on Earth missions).

I'll postpone further testing till autumn - but all in all it seems to be possible to finish the game without crashes now.

Offline firsttefl1

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: July 28, 2016, 08:15:44 am »
And my endgame summary  :)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: July 28, 2016, 06:35:04 pm »
And my endgame summary  :)

Congratulations and thanks a lot for all the feedback so far :)

Your saved game is interesting to look and I have a couple questions about your decisions/experience:
* You deliberately chose not to research Bluebook until the late game, do you remember why?
* The game spawned a total of 23 Council missions, broken down into 8 Destroy, 9 Assault and 6 Defense, of which you only actually played 16 missions of them. What was your general impression of them?

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: July 28, 2016, 06:53:55 pm »
My guess is he got a live engineer and scientist early so there was no need to research the Bluebook for the E-115 and UFO power source.

Maybe?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: July 28, 2016, 07:05:31 pm »
My guess is he got a live engineer and scientist early so there was no need to research the Bluebook for the E-115 and UFO power source.

Maybe?

Yeah, you can get UFO Power/E-115 through 2 research paths, either capturing Live Engineer + Scientist or completing certain Bluebook missions. But there's a caveat: those Bluebook missions can't be generated once Alien Operations is researched.

My question is really, why he chose not to do any Bluebook research until later in the game, when those missions aren't generated anymore because of the caveat (which was placed because most of the Bluebook missions give early-mid human tech that you should already have researched by the time you get Alien Operations).

It is a completely valid player decision, but I'm wondering, as a modder, about why he made that decision. Did he found Bluebook a waste of resources? Just uninteresting? Some other motive? :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 07:09:13 pm by Hobbes »

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: July 29, 2016, 02:53:22 am »
That reminds me.  The text of Alien Operations mentions scientists as well as commanders.  Does that mean a scientist can also unlock The Martian Solution?

Also, the cybermite's text mentions it exploding when killed but it doesn't actually explode.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: July 29, 2016, 04:56:19 am »
That reminds me.  The text of Alien Operations mentions scientists as well as commanders.  Does that mean a scientist can also unlock The Martian Solution?

No, a Scientist can't unlock The Martian Solution. I included the mention of the Scientist in Alien Operations to warn the player that there's now a new alien rank that needs to be captured (otherwise you won't unlock E-115, meaning you can't go to Cydonia)

Also, the cybermite's text mentions it exploding when killed but it doesn't actually explode.

Fixed. Thanks :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 05:06:28 am by Hobbes »

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: July 29, 2016, 06:19:54 am »
Oh right, because once Alien Operations is researched then the Bluebook mission that would unlock E-115 would no longer appear.  So you only ever need one scientist, or that mission?

Also, how come the phaser gets three entries?  There's the regular entry, the autopsy, and an entry for a phaser cyborg?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: July 29, 2016, 07:09:41 am »
Oh right, because once Alien Operations is researched then the Bluebook mission that would unlock E-115 would no longer appear.  So you only ever need one scientist, or that mission?

Yes, either one will do. But once you start researching Bluebook you'll most likely get additional Capture, Recovery or Extraction missions before the E-115 mission becomes active, so I leave the choice of taking all of those additional missions or not to the player.

Also, how come the phaser gets three entries?  There's the regular entry, the autopsy, and an entry for a phaser cyborg?

And a 4th entry for the Phaser Cyborg corpse. It is an upgrade to the Phaser with some armor and better stats, but with bigger vulnerabilities to other weapons than incendiary, and replaces it in the late game alien crews.

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: August 07, 2016, 05:12:32 pm »
Found a rather well hidden bug: The ColonyA terrain has two MCD-entries (no 72 and 73, parts of the control center tiles) set to wrong deathtiles. They are set to themselves (72 points to 72, 73 to 73) whereas they should point to something like 76 and 77 (iirc). This causes an endless explosion loop. Fun to look at for some seconds, but clearly not intended.

Btw, not sure about it but is is intended that you also added another mapblock with those tiles? I almost left the base thinking I had destroyed the control center when I realized that I hadn't seen any confirmation..., rechecked found that tiny tiles in a far away mapblock....

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: August 07, 2016, 09:07:23 pm »
Found a rather well hidden bug: The ColonyA terrain has two MCD-entries (no 72 and 73, parts of the control center tiles) set to wrong deathtiles. They are set to themselves (72 points to 72, 73 to 73) whereas they should point to something like 76 and 77 (iirc). This causes an endless explosion loop. Fun to look at for some seconds, but clearly not intended.

Nice find, I've fixed it :)

Btw, not sure about it but is is intended that you also added another mapblock with those tiles? I almost left the base thinking I had destroyed the control center when I realized that I hadn't seen any confirmation..., rechecked found that tiny tiles in a far away mapblock....

Must have been a leftover from the original UFO2000 map. Fixed and thanks for both reports :)

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: August 14, 2016, 09:43:58 am »
After researching the Gauss Cannon, you can afterwards research the Gauss Cannon Ammo even though you can actually already start manufacturing it anyway.

Also, I need some advice.  Which is easier, trying to capture a live scientist or rushing through the Bluebook Report research to unlock and do the data disk missions asap?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: August 14, 2016, 05:31:24 pm »
After researching the Gauss Cannon, you can afterwards research the Gauss Cannon Ammo even though you can actually already start manufacturing it anyway.

Fixed, will upload this later today

Also, I need some advice.  Which is easier, trying to capture a live scientist or rushing through the Bluebook Report research to unlock and do the data disk missions asap?

The big early strategy decision is how to get past the Elerium-115 bottleneck which is required to unlock the majority of the alien tech. You can do it by either capturing an alien scientist, which only appear on a medium/large UFO (Abductor, Harvester, Lab Ship) on Abduction/Harvest/Research missions, or by completing both the Papoose Lake and Bouvet Island missions that are generated by completing specific Bluebook research.

Tactically, I'd say to capture a live scientist in a UFO is easier but strategically you're really dependent on the RNG: to spawn a alien mission where the ailen scientist can appear (Research, Harvest, Abductions), for that mission to contain a medium/large UFO (since vanilla missions can now have different UFO waves) and for it to spawn in the region where one of your bases is located (to be more easy to detect it).

On the other hand, there are only 13 Bluebook reports that can be unlocked, and to unlock the Papoose/Bouvet missions you need to research 6 specific ones, so if you complete all reports you'll always generate both missions, so you won't be so dependent on the RNG.  But for all of this you need to complete all of these missions, so tactically I'd say this is a harder route than capturing a UFO.

You'll also need to invest research though, and to make up for that investment, another 6 of the 13 Bluebook reports each generates a separate Extraction/Recovery/Capture where you can recover advanced human tech (lasers, etc.). So if you're researching Bluebook you'll keep getting missions to recover human tech, even if you don't get the Elerium missions right away.  The Extraction/Recovery/Capture can also have a bonus, which is they give a random tech automatically that you don't already have, so you could get Personal Armor right away and skip the previous requirements (Alloy Vest, Combat Armor). Plus, each Data Disk recovered only costs 50 points to research and give the tech automatically, so you'll also save on research hours.

What I usually do is to research 2-3 Bluebook Reports on January (to try to ensure that I get a Extraction/Recovery/Capture mission on February) and then each month get a couple more until eventually the Elerium missions are unlocked. You'll get the most rewards from the Extraction/Recovery/Capture missions on the early months since that's usually when you develop the advanced human tech. If you wait too long then you'll complete all the research on advanced human tech by yourself, and then you'll still have to do those missions (or suffer the penalty) and not get any tech at all since you already researched it.

Or you could also rush research to complete all 13 Bluebook Reports and have the Elerium missions spawning on March or even February, but there your normal research into weapons/etc. will lag.

So, quite a few options here, including ignoring the Bluebook Reports completely and simply waiting for the UFOs to land. My advice is to pick one but to be prepared to change it halfway, depending on what the RNG throws at you, both on the tactical and strategic layers :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 05:47:20 pm by Hobbes »

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: August 15, 2016, 06:16:59 am »
Tactically, I'd say to capture a live scientist in a UFO is easier but strategically you're really dependent on the RNG: to spawn a alien mission where the ailen scientist can appear (Research, Harvest, Abductions), for that mission to contain a medium/large UFO (since vanilla missions can now have different UFO waves) and for it to spawn in the region where one of your bases is located (to be more easy to detect it).

And on top of all that, you might even kill the scientist (and it was the only one in that UFO) without knowing it because it decided to do some on-the-field research outside of the UFO and was easily mistaken for another soldier.

:'(