aliens

Author Topic: [SUGGESTION] slave raids / making brainers more rare  (Read 6523 times)

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
[SUGGESTION] slave raids / making brainers more rare
« on: October 23, 2015, 04:17:39 pm »
...ooookay, I'm not sure if this is even possible, or perhaps even implemented, since I haven't played all the way through XPiratez, but maybe this is something you consider worthy of pusuing.

I was thinking that since you are not the only pirate-y organisation out there (Raiders?), it might be interesting to have other pirate bases that you can raid in order to obtain slaves or runts or perhaps even brainers?

----> this leads me to another point:

I think that the brainers are far too "cheap" in the game. I mean, your research facility can hold only a few, and they are extremely important, so why can they be bought at all? within the setting of the game, brainy mutants suitable for true research should be a valuable resource, and a group of pirates should be happy to have maybe two or three of them... finding more should be more difficult than just going to a market, shouldn't it?

perhaps finding more of them should work more like paying a market fee to obtain information about where you might find one, spawning a special mission that allows you to go and try to steal one from another group of pirates... if that's at all possible within the extended code. of course, that would make the game even more RPG-y, but that's a good thing, isn't it?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [SUGGESTION] slave raids / making brainers more rare
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 04:23:04 pm »
Definitely a great idea, I'd implement it right away as I agree Brainers should be a rare resource (also it'd be fun if one could get hands & runts from other sources than market, too), but 'scientists', 'engineers' and 'soldiers' aren't treated as 'items', they're special kind of stuff, and thus cannot be obtained in any other way than through buying, or otherwise subjected to any sort of creative modder's trickery :) Maybe that will change at some point...

EDIT: but I could make slaves, or even auxiliaries obtainable through a mission, yeah - slaves and 'hwps' are 'items', which makes all sorts of stuff possible.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 04:27:37 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 04:46:26 pm »
I've been thinking for weeks how nice it would be to have item limitation in the market (like in Apocalypse). It would make the player's life so much tougher. :) Could apply to brainers if no other option works, but I mostly think of swabbies.

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 05:19:13 pm »
I've been thinking for weeks how nice it would be to have item limitation in the market (like in Apocalypse). It would make the player's life so much tougher. :) Could apply to brainers if no other option works, but I mostly think of swabbies.

While a limited market seems fun, limiting recruiting would IMHO force the players' hand too much towards specific ways to play the game.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 05:41:08 pm »
Well, although the "limited market" thing is a bit OT, it's not about the thing itself but about how you use it. I think it could be nice, imagine a market with supply/demand mechanism: no more mass-selling of the same goods for years...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 06:05:32 pm »
Well, although the "limited market" thing is a bit OT, it's not about the thing itself but about how you use it. I think it could be nice, imagine a market with supply/demand mechanism: no more mass-selling of the same goods for years...

Yeah, it's not like I wanted simple limitation - except gals, though not by much. I mean, having 10 gals per month should be enough in most cases anyway, unless you have a really horrible month (which would get even worse).
But I guess this mechanism would only become really useful if we have multiple soldier types - namely of various quality (or in Piratez, preferably different subspecies), with best or special ones being most limited. But I guess it's pretty pointless to say at this stage. :)

Sorry about OT, yeah, special way to get brainers would be good. :)

Offline Roxis231

• Colonel
  • Catching the feral kitten hiding in my rubish bin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 11:03:06 pm »
Definitely a great idea, I'd implement it right away as I agree Brainers should be a rare resource (also it'd be fun if one could get hands & runts from other sources than market, too), but 'scientists', 'engineers' and 'soldiers' aren't treated as 'items', they're special kind of stuff, and thus cannot be obtained in any other way than through buying, or otherwise subjected to any sort of creative modder's trickery :) Maybe that will change at some point...

EDIT: but I could make slaves, or even auxiliaries obtainable through a mission, yeah - slaves and 'hwps' are 'items', which makes all sorts of stuff possible.

Why not just increase the cost of Brainers to show they are rare ie: 600,000 rarther than the current 150,000.

I've been able to have 15 Brainers before the end of May 2601 with little trouble in almost all of my games, so multiplying the price by 4 would help slow that down.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 11:21:37 pm »
I think the price is just about right, it wouldn't be fun to Never Be Able To Research Anything. Only getting more than 15 starts getting really expensive, by requiring infrastructure and knowledge, but you have tons of cash by that point.

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 08:40:45 am »
I think the way you have done it by limiting the number of lab space is better.

niculinux

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 09:21:19 am »
I think the price is just about right, it wouldn't be fun to Never Be Able To Research Anything. Only getting more than 15 starts getting really expensive, by requiring infrastructure and knowledge, but you have tons of cash by that point.

I agree :)