Author Topic: [DONE] show total item count in UFOPEDIA right under item name  (Read 9706 times)

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: show total item count in UFOPEDIA right under item name
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2016, 08:22:11 am »
ufopaedia seems most logical cause you see item statistics, names and total count.
is not the best but is the simplest way to add it into the game.

ideally you would want something like base stores but outside the base menu in the main menu

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2016, 11:20:52 am »
ufopaedia seems most logical cause you see item statistics, names and total count.
is not the best but is the simplest way to add it into the game.

No, I must disagree. There are several reason why ufopedia is a bad place for this.

1/ in the UFOpedia you see only researched items... what will you do if you want to see how many plasma rifles do you have, but you haven't researched them?

2/ Store items and Ufopedia items do not match 1:1... if you want to see how many sectoid corpses do you have, you could go to Ufopedia... but there is no article about sectoid corpses there... there is only article about sectoid autopsy... and there is no (reasonable) link between the corpse and the autopsy to show the correct number. Not to mention that the link might be a lot more complicated than the one just described.

3/ Ufopedia can show several items at once (e.g. heavy cannon, ammo AP, ammo HE, ammo IN)... where would we place 4 new labels?

4/ Technically (source-code-wise), Ufopedia articles are not the same as Items... they sometimes match, but it's more an exception than a rule. Finding corresponding item/items for a ufopedia article would be a real pain to implement. Possible, but really painful.

5/ Lastly, I don't know about you, but when I look for item count, I don't need to know the description/statistics about it, I am interested only in the total number. But maybe you have a use case for that...

ideally you would want something like base stores but outside the base menu in the main menu

Yes, that's what I proposed earlier.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 11:23:22 am by Meridian »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2016, 08:10:01 pm »
A good idea but the Pedia is, I think, a very bad place for this kind of info. Maybe some sort of 'show all/show this base' toggle under the General Stores menu?

OK, I decided for this option instead of global hotkey from geoscape.

Sorting by space used (by toggle button) has been replaced by sorting arrows (similar to load/save dialog), and you can now sort by all columns (name, quantity, size, space used) ascending and descending.

The toggle button has been renamed to "Grand Total", which displays "all items", including:
1. all items in stores from all bases
2a. all items in craft from all bases (both parked in hangar and out there flying around)
2b. all craft weapons and ammo
2c. all craft vehicles and ammo
3. all armor worn by soldiers
4. all items and aliens currently being researched/interrogated
5a. all items in transfer
5b. all craft equipment, craft weapons+ammo and craft vehicles+ammo in transfer

I hope I didn't forget anything  :-\

It will NOT show:
a/ soldiers
b/ engineers/scientists
c/ craft (names)

See attached screenshot.

EDIT: I didn't implement the "watchlist", because you can now sort by name and find your item relatively quickly... if you know what you're looking for  ;)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 08:16:06 pm by Meridian »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [DONE] show total item count in UFOPEDIA right under item name
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2022, 05:22:45 pm »
And now also:
5c. all armor worn by soldiers in transfer