aliens

Author Topic: HWPs Suggestions  (Read 20099 times)

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
HWPs Suggestions
« on: January 21, 2012, 12:14:31 am »
Well, I kinda like the idea of having HWPs and their Turrets separated items... maybe as a Mod for Vanilla OpenXcom. That way we eliminate the need to buy new HWPs just for the different weapons. There are also new Chassis ideas I'd like to suggest just to have more late game options.

Tracked Chassis
Strong damage resistance

Enhanced Tracked Chassis
Strongest damage resistance

Walker Chassis
Stronger damage resistance / Increased TUs

Hover Chassis
Stronger damage resistance / Can Hover / Produces a small explosion when destroyed

This would mean some of the stats would depend on the weapon used. Also, the Turrets Rocket Launcher and Fusion Ball Launcher should have 0 points in Reaction. I'm thinking about adding more Chassis and Turret ideas.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 01:40:22 am by Chiko »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Re: HWPs Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 11:53:50 am »
Do you have the Tank sprites for these done? I would love to add these to my collection :P
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 02:29:51 pm by luke83 »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 06:49:27 pm »
Well graphics-wise tanks already have separate sprites for chassis and gun.

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 11:20:55 pm »
Well graphics-wise tanks already have separate sprites for chassis and gun.
Indeed. Makes me think the idea of separate Turrets from HWPs is older than X-Com: Apocalypse. Just sayin' ;)

Do you have the Tank sprites for these done? I would love to add these to my collection :P
I haven't really made the sprites yet. Is there like a sprite repository or a place I can get them? I remember I had a software to extract them myself but It's been years since I last had it and I can't even remember the name or where I found it.

I have other sprites for your collection, though.
I'll post them in another suggestion thread. It's one of those ideas I'd love to see but I could never do it myself. Unless OpenXcom is easy to mod, that is. :P

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 11:36:22 pm »
"I remember I had a software to extract them myself but It's been years since I last had it and I can't even remember the name or where I found it."
https://sourceforge.net/projects/xcmapedit/files/

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 04:57:57 am »
And maybe made that simple version of HWP need pilot? and only after you get "autopsy" of alien robots you can made AI version of it.
This will have some impact on early game, you will loose savable scout and PSI killer :) But you will grain some kind of "battle armor" that will protect and enhance your solders in beginning stages of game. Your solder will not die when his tank get destroyed, he will crawl out with light or even heavy wounds.

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 07:01:11 am »
"I remember I had a software to extract them myself but It's been years since I last had it and I can't even remember the name or where I found it."
https://sourceforge.net/projects/xcmapedit/files/
That one works too. Thanks!

And maybe made that simple version of HWP need pilot? and only after you get "autopsy" of alien robots you can made AI version of it.
This will have some impact on early game, you will loose savable scout and PSI killer :) But you will grain some kind of "battle armor" that will protect and enhance your solders in beginning stages of game. Your solder will not die when his tank get destroyed, he will crawl out with light or even heavy wounds.
Hmm... that's not a bad idea. I'm not sure about using them as armor for soldiers. Maybe just make HWPs immune to Psi and Fear after the Alien AI research.

Another chassis idea could be the Walker Chassis out of Sectopod research. Maybe something like this:

Walker Chassis
Stronger damage resistance / Increased TUs
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 01:40:37 am by Chiko »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 10:33:07 pm »
I would prefer something similar to battlemech, but still it look very good :)

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 11:38:16 pm »
You mean like this? xD

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 12:21:39 am by Chiko »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 12:09:30 am »
Is look great :D

Offline hsbckb

• Colonel
  • Gill Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 01:18:26 am »
This Battle Mech fits with original graphic style of Xcom. Nice work!

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 03:28:37 am »
Thanks!

That is like the last chassis idea I can squeeze from the game files. Guess I should be moving to Turret ideas now.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 07:36:36 am »
I was just dreaming about a Walker type last week , i really like it :)

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 12:31:46 pm »
Hi Chiko,
in battlescape the turret of a tank is actually a weapon in the hands of the unit "tank". So this is a "hidden" seperate item. The tank itself in battlescape is not an item, but it's a unit like soldiers.

I made it so that you can not go into the inventory view of tanks, like in the original XCOM.

But we could make it so that you can access the inventory view of a tank and so make it possible to remove a turret from a tank to replace it with another turret. Or even have two turrets on one tank. Or to have the possibility to reload or load a turret with (a different type of) ammo.

I'll look into this to make it as flexible (with rulesets) as possible.

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 03:34:20 pm »
That is awesome news, Daiky! OpenXcom project is giving X-Com so much more potential by making it this mod friendly. Keep up the good work!