aliens

Author Topic: Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - N7 16-Dec-2023 Flying Tiger, Hidden Tentacle  (Read 3682499 times)

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
Re: [MAIN] XPiratez - 0.99F.5 - 1 Apr - Fight Magic with Courage!
« Reply #4365 on: April 06, 2017, 08:10:14 pm »
Yeah that specific spawn is the second worst in the game. But properly played is pretty manageable. I tend to keep a moderately large stock of panzerfausts around just for it once they become available. Panzerfaust weakness of poor accuracy at range is largely mitigated by base structure. Also it's cumbersome size/weight large mitigated by proper base structure, ie stores go near choke-points.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4366 on: April 06, 2017, 11:26:42 pm »
Phew. I actually saved that hideout. It was... complicated to say the least.

Stun batons is a big "just why".

See I knew you could probably do it, but not without losing people, and I was expecting 20 dead and you only lost 8. Then again you had 100 hands. And remember beating a base assault means they wont send another one like that, unless you roll snake eyes on the dice again.

ME? I never keep more than enough to man the two ships ive got - 8 or 9 - and I dont take death for an answer on the battlefield. Though I have started adding Syns and im trying to keep myself nerfed on 99.F4 to only about as many as the damaged syns that I had discovered.

All my other bases only have enough to defend against a basic assault, usually 5 Hands, but each of them now has a Tank to help them at least. Thats usually where I send well trained hands to go when I want to train more, either due to veterancy or just because they were sitting in the luxury spa for several months, so they're not exactly shaky guns either. I feel that the more you've got the more likely you'll get careless and let them die because of having to control so many units and wanting to get the battle over with.

I design my bases for defense so that way its rare they ever get out of that containment area (the hangars/airlock are all up on one part of the map), and after about turn 10 its still easy to check where they are on the aye phone.

Re: Stun Baton is like many other civilian weapons, one of those things that makes them dangerous to you, but its pretty much useless for yourself. Its just sales loot to put it bluntly. I dont even know why its on the manufacture list, I think (?) its buyable.

Some higher order techs are like that too such as the Plasma Subrifle, you scrap those things. Reticulan Plasma Gun is already a much more effective plasma weapon and you get it early on, and I dont know about you guys but by the time I ran into a Ret Base in year 3 I already had Magneto Plasma Guns.

Another one is the domestic shotgun with acid shells, just enough to mess you up, but by then you've probably got blunderbuss/acid or even death blossom. Just to give some examples among many.

The ghoul town is the epitome of "they can hurt you, but their stuff is worthless to you" since they're literally immune to their own weapons (even the firey explosions from the busted pipes are practically worthless against them). Their acid stuff is good for other things, but you get the idea.

I understand that, but it would be much quicker and easier to work with a GUI.

I find it amazing that the save file format is in text and thus easier to look through and see whats going on, so we've got alot to be grateful for when it comes to that. Usually do to enormous data chunks for things like where all the tiles are in the battlegame that forces a designer to just dump their savefiles as raw data. As far as I know the current Funds you've got are the only part thats convoluted since it looks like it tabulates the grand total of all your income and expenditures and that determines how much money you've currently got.

There's alot more you can do to savegames than just giving yourself items. Its even somewhat easy to give yourself money in X-Piratez because you can just give yourself the credit chips and sell them ingame.

Sometimes I cheat by checking the missions slated, map positions of enemies, and otherwise spying on the internals. In a roleplaying game (tabletop anyway) the characters would have a much better understanding of whats going on, so theme-wise its not entirely out of character.

Ive used it for honest hacks to bypass the game's RNG by giving myself something that frankly should have come up already. Either that or I made a stupid mistake with forgetting to construct a building earlier because I got carried away with micromanaging - ordered a guy from the mercinaries which I already had in my stores - yknow forhead smacking screwups that would have been corrected by reloading a savegame but I didnt want to perform all the micromanaging I had just spent 15-20 minutes tweaking.

(ie, clicking Undo button)

There's cheating to make the game fun when its not cooperating, and there's game genie NES cheating that just lets you do whatever and destroys the fun of the game. Its a personal responsibility.

for OXC and X-Pirates its a case of lets be grateful we dont need a savegame editor

Offline desert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4367 on: April 07, 2017, 06:04:14 am »
I find it amazing that the save file format is in text and thus easier to look through and see whats going on, so we've got alot to be grateful for when it comes to that. Usually do to enormous data chunks for things like where all the tiles are in the battlegame that forces a designer to just dump their savefiles as raw data. As far as I know the current Funds you've got are the only part thats convoluted since it looks like it tabulates the grand total of all your income and expenditures and that determines how much money you've currently got.

There's alot more you can do to savegames than just giving yourself items. Its even somewhat easy to give yourself money in X-Piratez because you can just give yourself the credit chips and sell them ingame.

Sometimes I cheat by checking the missions slated, map positions of enemies, and otherwise spying on the internals. In a roleplaying game (tabletop anyway) the characters would have a much better understanding of whats going on, so theme-wise its not entirely out of character.

Ive used it for honest hacks to bypass the game's RNG by giving myself something that frankly should have come up already. Either that or I made a stupid mistake with forgetting to construct a building earlier because I got carried away with micromanaging - ordered a guy from the mercinaries which I already had in my stores - yknow forhead smacking screwups that would have been corrected by reloading a savegame but I didnt want to perform all the micromanaging I had just spent 15-20 minutes tweaking.

(ie, clicking Undo button)

There's cheating to make the game fun when its not cooperating, and there's game genie NES cheating that just lets you do whatever and destroys the fun of the game. Its a personal responsibility.

for OXC and X-Pirates its a case of lets be grateful we dont need a savegame editor

It's an OpenXcom question then, but what documentation is there for manipulating the information in the files? For example, looking at the contents it is completely unclear where I would look in order to modify characters (friend or foe) on the battlescape, attributes such as TU, location and position, inventory contents... The only information I can find is always about changes on the Geoscape, particularly adding money.

Unrelated, it seems as though many of the robbery (manufacturing) options are specifically tailored to be worth around half as much as ransoming that prisoner. Why is that?

Offline LuigiWhatif

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4368 on: April 07, 2017, 07:15:11 am »
Robberies are worth half because it gets you their loot. 

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4369 on: April 07, 2017, 07:34:34 am »
Robberies are worth half because it gets you their loot.

not sure but I could swear it was also listed in the bootypedia/research that you can rob people but since they're being returned as "damaged goods" they only fetch half the price - and the blue chips you get are just the equivalent of the money you'd get for fencing them.

its not always worth it especially early game, but later on getting armor parts, the force circuitry from the priests, and similar components (that you cant get otherwise) makes it worth robbing them - early game research those guys as much as you can so they're no use for research anymore

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #4370 on: April 07, 2017, 08:24:44 am »
It's an OpenXcom question then, but what documentation is there for manipulating the information in the files? For example, looking at the contents it is completely unclear where I would look in order to modify characters (friend or foe) on the battlescape, attributes such as TU, location and position, inventory contents... The only information I can find is always about changes on the Geoscape, particularly adding money.

I don't think it's documented anywhere except in the source code which is the final authority anyways. Though the save file pretty much documents itself.

Here's a small script which I use if I get distracted from a battle and forget where the enemies were seen or alternatively to grep through base inventories and transfers when I forget where I put those two hundred tons of plastasteel:

Code: [Select]
#!/usr/bin/env python3

PREFIX='/home/user/games/Dioxine_XPiratezF5'
import math, pprint, sys, os, copy, fnmatch, pprint, time
import yaml

FALLBACK_LANG = 'en-US'

def yamload(path):
    return yaml.load_all(open(path, "rb"), Loader = yaml.CLoader)

print('Reading lang')
lang = {}

def merge_lang(path):
    rul_es = list(yamload(path))[0]
    if 'en-US' in rul_es:
        lang.update(rul_es['en-US'])
    else:
        for strset in rul_es.get('extraStrings', {}):
            if strset['type'] == 'en-US':
                lang.update(strset['strings'])

merge_lang(PREFIX + '/common/Language/en-US.yml')
merge_lang(PREFIX + '/standard/xcom1/Language/en-US.yml')
merge_lang(PREFIX + '/user/mods/Piratez/Ruleset/Piratez_lang.rul')

if os.path.isdir(sys.argv[1]):
    lmt = 0
    sel = None
    for fname in os.listdir(sys.argv[1]):
        fname = os.path.join(sys.argv[1], fname)
        if not os.path.isdir(fname) and fname.endswith('.sav'):
            mt = os.stat(fname).st_mtime
            if mt > lmt:
                lmt = mt
                sel = fname
    fname = sel
else:
    fname = sys.argv[1]
print("Reading", fname, "\n")

doc = list(yamload(fname))[1]

soldiers = {}
for base in doc['bases']:
    for soldier in base.get('soldiers', []):
        soldiers[soldier['id']] = soldier

if 'battleGame' in doc:
    for unit in doc['battleGame']['units']:
        if unit['id'] >= 1000000:
            if unit['health'] > 0:
                ds = unit['stunlevel'] - unit['health']
                if unit['stunlevel'] > 0:
                    dss = "stun {}".format(ds)
                else:
                    dss = ""
                fwc = 0
                for fw in unit['fatalWounds']:
                    fwc += fw

doa = "dead in {}".format(unit['health'] // fwc) if fwc > 0 else ''
                utype = lang.get(unit['genUnitType'], unit['genUnitType'])
                wts = 'SHITHEAD [m:{}]'.format(unit['morale']) if (
                    not unit['wantsToSurrender']
                    and not dss and unit['faction'] == 1) else ''

print(unit['faction'],
                        "[{: >2d}, {: >2d}, {: >2d}]".format(*unit['position']),
                        "{:20s}{: >3d}{: >4d}{: >2d}".format(utype,
                            unit['health'],
                            unit['stunlevel'], fwc),
                        "[{: >3d}, {: >3d}, {: >3d}, {: >3d}, {: >3d}]".format(*unit['armor']),
                        dss, wts, doa)
        else:
            print(unit['faction'],
                   "[{: >2d}, {: >2d}, {: >2d}]".format(*unit['position']),
                   soldiers[unit['id']]['name'])

elif len(sys.argv) > 2:
    substr = ' '.join(sys.argv[2:])
    for base in doc['bases']:
        total_space = 0
        used_space = 0
        act_amt = 0
        inc_amt = 0
        for item,amt in base.get('items', {}).items():
            unit_vol = 42
            used_space += amt * unit_vol
        print(base['name'])
        for item,amt in base.get('items', {}).items():
            if substr in lang.get(item, item):
                print("    ", lang[item], amt)
        for trans in base.get('transfers', []):
            if 'soldier' in trans or 'craft' in trans:
                continue
            try:
                if substr in lang[trans['itemId']]:
                    print("  ", '+', lang[trans['itemId']],trans['itemQty'])
            except:
                print(trans)

Hopefully this gives some clues.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 08:31:39 am by Stoddard »

Offline Ragshak

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4371 on: April 08, 2017, 05:56:09 pm »
Is hideout defence at April of the first year common In new versions?

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: April 08, 2017, 06:27:56 pm »
April seems a might early even for the new content.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: April 08, 2017, 06:40:50 pm »
 8) Lovely fireworks in Organ Grinder @ this given moment.  8)
Using barrel bomb(s) at turn one vaporizes half the map of those annoying pipes and does enough colleteral dmg to soften the ghouls and pesky dogs.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #4374 on: April 08, 2017, 06:48:17 pm »
And just to show most peoples concern with this mission.

Even after the carnage of nuking the place with 2 barrels, there is very little visual feedback to the players.
I guess we have to use some kind of smoke-softerning gfx?

Anyway I love this mission for those 5 life-support-systems needed for every craft recently.

Offline greattuna

• Colonel
  • No range like point blank range.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4375 on: April 08, 2017, 06:48:43 pm »
Is hideout defence at April of the first year common In new versions?

I did get into a hideout defence in June, however, it was very budget version, with academy nurses and cattle prods.

I think it's possible to get it in April if you're unlucky, but it wouldn't be a common occurrence.

Offline Devon_v

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4376 on: April 09, 2017, 03:07:50 am »
Just had a spider hunt, lots of fun, despite the heat. The weather works a lot better when your gals have gained some levels. The RNG finally chilled out, too, so I don't run through a month's worth of healing items every mission.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4377 on: April 09, 2017, 11:11:36 pm »
So as it often is with alien base attacks this one spiralled out of hand.
Decided I was just going to go in and loot the place and leave it there, see if I could capture any specimens.

Oh wait look, the control center is -right-next- to the entrance. After taking out a few goons a GL/Plasma Grenade gets lobbed up there through the elevator by my fleetfooted Nitro Thug (syn).

Now guess what, the place is toast, if I leave now any further looting is forefiet
NOW its Greed vs Life.
an equation that pirates are all to familiar with.

Oh look there's a guy in PURPLE robes, ive never seen those before, he must be real speshul. Worry intensifies as I see the Chrysallid behind him, but it went away, god knows where. I made him catch a knockout grenade.

Nitro is getting a little hot under the collar with all this footwork but she'll probably make it, at least to the exit grid where she can collapse and we'll douse her with water on the way back home.

Now im trying to hold the door open while everyone else GTFOs before the chrysallids try to rush us.

I did get into a hideout defence in June, however, it was very budget version, with academy nurses and cattle prods.

I think it's possible to get it in April if you're unlucky, but it wouldn't be a common occurrence.

My first couple were Ratmen and one had a rottweilier that killed somebody, it was one of my outlying bases that I actually dont fly any planes out of. It didnt happen until Year 2 though.

After that it was Raiders and they were armed to the teeth and thats where I got my first plasma scorcher.

Recently had the Traders show up and this dude wearing a cape and gold armor steps out and trys to say he's in charge now, and with that kind of audacity I couldnt help but nail him to the wall with a railgun.

I know it can get worse but im just glad it hasnt so far. I cant even kill mercinaries for some reason, like even one of them, so there's at least 2 cards in the deck that can blow away any of my bases.

Based on the Barrel Bombing idea I started making Nuclear Demo Charges since those hit just as hard, ive got hellerium flowing out of my ears, and they're actually alot more functional than a barrel bomb.

And just to show most peoples concern with this mission.
Even after the carnage of nuking the place with 2 barrels, there is very little visual feedback to the players.

I dont like the smoke used in piratez myself, I know its an improvement on the original in some respect, I know its a little more like the kind used on the PSX game. But there's just something off about it, having an entire wall of cross-hatched pixels rather than healthy gaps between them is pretty annoying to the eyes. Despite looking a tiny bit more realistic.

You could just do what I did, make a modified projectiles sheet that has all of the smoke sprites replaced by the TFTD land ones (the sorta silvery/tan ones).

Most smoke tiles as they occur are supposed to be decently thin, the heavy duty density smoke from vanilla is annoying to look at but it tends to thin out after awhile.

I appended it to the attachments but you'll have to doctor it up for your own sheet if thats what you want.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 11:31:50 pm by RSSwizard »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4378 on: April 09, 2017, 11:16:02 pm »
Nitro is so pretty!

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4379 on: April 09, 2017, 11:38:05 pm »
Nitro is so pretty!

She's got 185 pretty time units too! gets her (grenades) in the roost quick.
Ive got 5 Syns now, but even despite the production loophole (no damaged syn needed) ive found about 5 of them anyway. She was the first though, which explains her growing expertise.

# its not what you got its how you work it.
# she aint getting faster, she's learning how Not to waste time between moving, planning each step like chess moves in her positronic brain as opposed to contemplating the smell of flowers while trying to shoot a smartrifle

ANND wouldnt you know this base mission turned into a full blown success not just a smash and grab.

The last chrysallid tried to charge out of the guard post in the food room and went Derp-not-a-good-idea but it was too late because I had a bead on it by then.

Ironically my fresh Cyberdisc/Gatling wasnt the star of the show, both dangerously fragile and lackluster in firepower, with no ability to respond with reaction fire. But it took a couple guys out and made it through in one piece anyway.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 11:54:57 pm by RSSwizard »