Author Topic: Oh Shit Moments - Why i love XCom :>  (Read 69291 times)

Offline Cooper

• Colonel
  • Chryssalids are awesome
    • View Profile
Re: Oh Shit Moments - Why i love XCom :>
« Reply #120 on: May 07, 2016, 03:48:34 am »
Then you obviously did something very very wrong, or just had bad luck.
Both, I guess. I was impatient and underestimated the aliens, and basically just stormed a battleship. And the aliens went crazy with blaster launchers and psi.. Never underestimate a battleship on superhuman difficulty! (unless you are using psi amps or blaster launchers yourself) :P

Offline Bionic

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 10, 2016, 08:29:30 pm »
Well, I just took a serious blow. Maybe not that serious, but the economical damage was pretty hefty (since apparently you don't get any return on queued facilities). I had barely got my fourth base ready. The living quarters were built and 25 rookies had just arrived. Their personal defense weapons were currently in transit as the alien battleship suddenly swooped down on them. 25 unarmed rookies against sectoids with blaster launchers. Rest in pieces, base four.

Offline 7Saturn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 10, 2016, 08:56:20 pm »
This is why I tend to queue only the essential and cheap facilities and buy/transfer the equipment the same moment I hire/transfer the new crew to its base. Still, it sucks, when they arrive on a skeleton base.

Offline Bionic

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 11, 2016, 12:44:21 am »
Augh! The slaughter continues. I finally got a weapon upgrade (rail guns) and was ready for some payback. When they aliens decided to terrorize Easter Island I saw my chance. Boy oh boy was I wrong. Let me tell you, up until now it's been a pretty smooth ride. I've never bailed on a mission, but I usually lose a couple of guys every other mission since I still only wear personal armor and an alien can snapshot you in the eyes with a plasma pistol from three miles away.

But on this mission I barely get the doors of the craft open before a couple of guys are MC'd. One of them fires a rocket launcher inside the craft (killing a commander) ,  good times. Two others panic and run outside and vanish into the night. I send my scout tank out to see what the hell is going on. It seems to be a mix of mutons, cryssalids and sectopods. And whoever is mind controlling me from somewhere. Well, I realize I'll never win this. I manage to run outside and stab a few of my panicked/mc guys with stun rods and put them in backpacks. In the end four are KIA and three MIA. Two of wich I when I check the memorial were first to serve.

Still, it's funny how the game decides to hand me my ass when I thought it was easy coasting.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #124 on: May 11, 2016, 06:53:26 pm »
Augh! The slaughter continues. I finally got a weapon upgrade (rail guns) and was ready for some payback. When they aliens decided to terrorize Easter Island I saw my chance. Boy oh boy was I wrong. Let me tell you, up until now it's been a pretty smooth ride. I've never bailed on a mission, but I usually lose a couple of guys every other mission since I still only wear personal armor and an alien can snapshot you in the eyes with a plasma pistol from three miles away.

But on this mission I barely get the doors of the craft open before a couple of guys are MC'd. One of them fires a rocket launcher inside the craft (killing a commander) ,  good times. Two others panic and run outside and vanish into the night. I send my scout tank out to see what the hell is going on. It seems to be a mix of mutons, cryssalids and sectopods. And whoever is mind controlling me from somewhere. Well, I realize I'll never win this. I manage to run outside and stab a few of my panicked/mc guys with stun rods and put them in backpacks. In the end four are KIA and three MIA. Two of wich I when I check the memorial were first to serve.

Still, it's funny how the game decides to hand me my ass when I thought it was easy coasting.

May i incline which mod you are playing? Since the combination of enemies you described is not possible in vanilla.

Offline Bionic

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 13, 2016, 12:35:16 am »
May i incline which mod you are playing?

FMP.

Offline Xtendo-com

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 13, 2016, 06:41:25 pm »
Tried to assault UFO by blind brute force... Only one survived.

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 19, 2016, 10:46:46 pm »
FMP -Lost nine troopers in a night mission. Landed UFO in Japan. Probably a medium scout or so. Not many aliens, but I got sniped out in the dark. Also lost three soldiers, one of captain rank, in a attempt to capture a Sectoid, which ended reaction snipped. I had one dog and 13 troopers so that's four survivors to what should have been a milk run.

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Offline Blank

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 27, 2016, 10:08:14 am »
X-Piratez - Pogrom (terror) mission. Actually feeling pretty good about this one with an experienced team of gals and some new weapons to try out. Gave as good as I got and saved a few nearby civilians from their immediate threats. It came clear I didn't have enough girlpower to win a war of attrition and too many of my soldiers were either dead or unconscious. Time to grab the wounded and regroup my scattered forces back at the transport. And that's when a cyberdisk pulls around the corner between me and safety (that's the oh shit moment).

When desperation hits, what else is there to do but have a girl in rags face down an alien flying tank with nothing but a bow and arrow?

Only one gal made it back to the transport, under heavy fire and psi attack

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 28, 2016, 03:59:25 am »
So this is my first go on TFTD and I learned the very hard way that you apparently shouldn't shoot near those grey cylinder things on the ocean floor. The chain reaction of explosions that went off made blaster bombs look like a joke.

This soldier got himself 7 kills in one shot, but five were his squadmates and one was himself.  :P
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 05:46:17 am by Countdown »

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 01, 2016, 08:57:16 pm »
Same superhuman TFTD campaign as my previous post. I just got back from a hard fought 2-part terror mission where I lost 8 soldiers and had 2 more wounded, leaving me only 5 active troops at the base. I had 12 soldiers on their way being transferred, but sadly they did not make it in time. Almost immediately after the terror mission ... BASE DEFENSE MISSION. (*NOTE: Default base setup, not a custom easier to defend version.)

I'm in early May and hadn't made it that far with research, so no armor of any kind and limited alien tech. With only 5 men, it was pretty hopeless from the start, especially after one man was killed on the first turn. They managed to take down 16 aliens, but in the end a stun bomb fired from way down a hallway knocked out my last two guys and that was that. I was happy that one had a primed grenade on his belt, so they were KIA instead of becoming POWs.

I'm pretty screwed now though. I had just spent ALL MY MONEY on a new barracuda, soldiers and a bunch of scientists for my base. My second "base" is just getting going with living quarters, radar, one hangar and general stores. All my equipment and supplies from 5 months of missions was in the main base.

So I'm down to 20 thousand bucks, 14 men with limited weapons and no training. If I don't lose this campaign then this will be quite the epic comeback.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 08:59:36 pm by Countdown »

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #131 on: June 01, 2016, 10:18:02 pm »
A sectoid flanked my team who were about to breach a UFO. So instead of moving my operatives to kill the sectoid, I left it to my grenadier, who was a short distance away. Aimed at the freak and fired, but landed right on my team... Killed one and injured another.
So being forced to turn my attention to the sectoid, a few TUs later killed it, leaving my breaching team with no TUs for reaction shots. On aliens turn, a sectoid comes out of the door we were attempting to secure... It all goes to gehenna.

I even had a sniper on the peak of a mountain standing by! Perfect shot, but I forgot about him until I cycled through them at the end of the turn..
It pays to be humble in this game. You cannot be arrogant, because it'll only make you feel like crap when your plans fail. At least for me.

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 01, 2016, 11:21:06 pm »
Terror Mission to Japan

First Turn - Two Cyberdiscs straight out of the Skyranger. Another one close by along with a alien sniper in the side. I knew then and there this mission would be hell. Blew one, failed to blow the other, aborted mission.

You know what? I think Japan can fend for itself just fine. Bye!

Offline Cooper

• Colonel
  • Chryssalids are awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 04, 2016, 11:10:06 pm »
Aliens where killing us, one by one. Trying to escape to the craft with the last live operative. Manged to escape the situation on the picture!

... but passed out just a few tiles away from the craft, and lost the mission :(
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 11:11:43 pm by Cooper »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #134 on: June 05, 2016, 11:52:43 am »
What kind of terrain is this and which mod?

I wanna have it in my mod also.

Btw: When a normal facepalm is not enough: