Author Topic: [Question] Landing map blocks and walls?  (Read 3387 times)

Offline Firestorm

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
[Question] Landing map blocks and walls?
« on: December 18, 2014, 07:08:18 am »
The UFOpaedia says that if a map block with walls and/or objects is designated as a possible landing zone for UFO's or X-Com craft, the game may crash or the walls/objects will be removed.  Can anyone tell me which is the case, or if the results vary (and what might cause them to, in that case).  The latter case actually sounds quite appealing to me, having UFO's crash into a barn, or Skyrangers landing in wheat fields, etc. 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 07:13:20 am by Firestorm »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: [Question] Landing map blocks and walls?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 05:32:05 pm »
This is what happens if you assign a map block containing walls/objects (in this case a complete building) as a landing zone

All the walls and objects are removed on levels also occupied by the craft (not on the roof though, where that chimney still stands) but the ground tiles remain.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 05:33:47 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 07:07:18 pm »
it checks the tiles in the top corner of the topmost landing block to determine the ground level, then places the ship there. if there's a roof on the second floor in that block, it will try to land on the roof level, resulting in "Something is wrong in your map definitions, craft/ufo map is too tall?"

Offline Jo5hua

• Captain
  • ModSite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 12:08:42 am »
Good thing Skyrangers don't have weapon systems to clear out a landing area.. There's a mod for that no? *grins*

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile

Offline Firestorm

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 01:32:58 am »
See now that obviously looks wrong with a skyranger there, but swap it for a medium scout or something, and it'd look like the UFO crashed into the side of the building coming in too hot.  But from what I'm hearing from Warboy, it would have to be carefully created maps explicitly for that purpose.  Although that does give me ideas about landing a skyranger on rooftops...