aliens

Author Topic: FMP Ranks - a side mod {WIP}  (Read 6242 times)

Offline Quinch

• Colonel
    • View Profile
FMP Ranks - a side mod {WIP}
« on: December 05, 2014, 09:44:15 am »
To help with target identification in the FMP mod, I've been cobbling together a mod to color-code aliens according to their ranks. It's a companion mod to FMP, because not everyone wants that kind of a visual giveaway. It's also a work in progress - not all races have been converted, and only the main battlescape sprites have been taken care of, for now. Still, I'm gradually plugging away at it, so we'll see how that goes.

The overall coloring scheme is thus - regular colors for the regular soldiers, blue for navigators, white/gray for medics, green for engineers, red for leaders and gold for commanders. That said, some of them deviate from that color scheme, depending on their original colors.

Current list of recolors consists of Chtonites, Floaters, Mutons, Reptoids, Sectoids and Snakemen. Anthropods don't have any notable ranks, so they're out of the running unless that changes.

If anyone wants to test it out, let me know your experiences.

The download link is here. I'm linking it rather than using an attachment, since this way I can update the archive to the newest version through the same link without fiddling with attachments all the time.

Online SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: FMP Ranks - a side mod {WIP}
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 01:25:09 pm »
Can you use this mod on its own or does it has to be used along with FMP?

Offline Duke_Falcon

• Colonel
  • *Visit my DA site - click on the small globe!*
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 09:28:55 pm »
The spamlord is returned, fear my posting wrath!
Joking...

I made some would-be commanders back in time but most was not enough good to accepted for FMP (I think Solarius accepted only Ethereal commander but told it need some polishing, and Snakemand looked good but always disappeared in game...). I shall not share the spritesheets as I have no clue where did I drop them (and they exported by oldschool tools so some size problems also occurs for whole sheets, or something like this, not remember so please do not ask). But I have some funny UP pictures about a few if you need some ideas (well, they are boring and devoid all kind of fantasy and imagination, but image spam must occur!). Please, neglect the typos and the often wrong main titles, the intented names are in the descriptive part (I thought not funny to call all of them "commanders").

Attachments have arrived!

Offline Duke_Falcon

• Colonel
  • *Visit my DA site - click on the small globe!*
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 09:16:16 am »
Now that I got my new laptop back after a little service I found some spritesheets I made. If you want use them if not not... These were my ideas for commanders but true, bit linear, right?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 08:59:06 pm »
Wow, I must say... this is inspiring.

EDIT: I love how most Sectoids look like kung-fu students (dat headband).

I will certainly incorporate some of this into FMP (if you agree), except for those which already have different sprites.

EDIT: I've checked your sheets and they're weird, having width of 791 for example (which certainly isn't dividable by 32). Why?

Offline Hans Berger

• Squaddie
  • The Hero of the Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 01:08:05 am »
Now that I got my new laptop back after a little service I found some spritesheets I made. If you want use them if not not... These were my ideas for commanders but true, bit linear, right?

Ooh, this Sectoid with a cape is great! I love it!
Immediately gave me an idea to make a 2nd Sectoid race, Elite Sectoids.
Just gotta add the Golden Headband and I'll have a Sectoid High-Commander and his personal Elite Guard.
Can't wait for the Mothership getting ready on the Hardmode Expansion, I want to add these 2 together!

I also like that Snakeman with a cape, though I'm probably going to avoid being too linear and give it to the Medics instead.
Snakemen are a warrior race after all, and warriors don't add up too much with capes I guess.  Could be Commander & Medics though, we'll see.